Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help!Ordered Wrong Size Tyre-Now only 1 type left-Dilemma

• 06-12-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Finally ordered Bridgestone Blizzacks 9am this morning.
    THEN CATASTROPHE-Realised I'd ordered 165/65/R14 instead of 175/65/R14.:eek:

I'm told they won't fit. Have spent WHOLE DAY emailing and calling the company to amend order and FINALLY got through tonght to be told they cannot amend so have CANCELLED the order BUT NO WINTER TYRES left in my size EXCEPT 1 brand costing €141 each. I think I'll need 4.

I have a Nissan Almera (very old 1999).

Guys(and gals) Is there any other alternative? Can I use a different size? Would all seasons do?
    Its snowing here again and I am about 650ft up the side of a mountain!!(or just about) so REALLY need tyres FAST

Kilkenny or Carlow area.SOme guy from Tyreland is also trying to source something for me but not sure if they are M&S only OR if they are re-moulds

Any advice greatfully received
    Cheers

lameire:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Why wont they fit????. Thats ridiculous..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

I can't see any reason why the 165 wont fit your alloy/steely?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Not an expert but I would expect that they would fit alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

even if they didn't fit (and I'm 99% sure they will) you'd pick up a set of steel wheels for next to nothing in that size anyway, can you uncancel that order??

lameire wrote: »
    Finally ordered Bridgestone Blizzacks 9am this morning.
    THEN CATASTROPHE-Realised I'd ordered 165/65/R14 instead of 175/65/R14.:eek:

I'm told they won't fit. Have spent WHOLE DAY emailing and calling the company to amend order and FINALLY got through tonght to be told they cannot amend so have CANCELLED the order BUT NO WINTER TYRES left in my size EXCEPT 1 brand costing €141 each. I think I'll need 4.

I have a Nissan Almera (very old 1999).

Guys(and gals) Is there any other alternative? Can I use a different size? Would all seasons do?
    Its snowing here again and I am about 650ft up the side of a mountain!!(or just about) so REALLY need tyres FAST

Kilkenny or Carlow area.SOme guy from Tyreland is also trying to source something for me but not sure if they are M&S only OR if they are re-moulds

Any advice greatfully received
    Cheers

lameire:D

Who told you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Manufacture reccommended tyres:

Summer tyres 185/65 R14
    Winter tyres 185/65 R14

MarkoC wrote: »

Summer tyres 185/65 R14
    Winter tyres 185/65 R14

If it's a 1999 1.4 Nissan quotes:

Summer tyres 175/70 R13
    Winter tyres 175/70 R13

Source: http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyres-for/nissan/almera/hatchback/i/1999/1-4/suchen.htmlx

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lameire

The Tyre Co's recommended fitter (who is near where I work) said the tyres (165) I'd ordered were too small and wouldn't fit.

He said if I'd ordered a little bigger i.e 185, they probably would fit!!

So I had no alternative to cancel order (cannot be undone) as I was relying on his expertise!!!

I'm really cheesed off now as I cannot get to work and figured IF I got winters delivered to fitter (in city) BEFORE this weekend,then I'd somehow manage to get down the hill in the Almera & after he fits tyres I'd get back up the hill again and able to go to work next week.

Current tyres are something called Matador (I think car covered in snow and wheels buried too-hard to see).
    What does 82T or 86T mean on the tyre?

NOW I'M TOTALLY STUCK & need to start all over again-Jeez

lameiire:(

• Advertisement

Thats Bullsh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Agreed, the 165s will do nicely. They are 10mm narrower but some would say that's a good thing because the narrower tyres are better at cutting through the snow to grip the road. However I don't think the difference in this case will be dramatic. As suggested, you should think about trying to "uncancel" the order.

Edit: your post came in while I was typing and I see you can't uncancel. However the weather is supposed to improve towards the week-end.

(The "82" is a load rating ant the "T" is a speed rating)

Summer tyres 185/65 R14
    Winter tyres 185/65 R14
    Biglad wrote: »

Summer tyres 175/70 R13
    Winter tyres 175/70 R13

Source: http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyres-for/nissan/almera/hatchback/i/1999/1-4/suchen.htmlx

Guys

Its a 1.4 SE or SX 4 door saloon.
    I want to get it right this time. Loads of snow here and I think I'm gonna need something with really good traction that I can use on snow/ice and untreated roads and slopes/hills for a while!

The fitter who told me 165 too small is not filling me with any confidence at the moment IF he's wrong!!:(

Summer tyres 175/70 R13
    Winter tyres 175/70 R13

No probs, was looking on the same site for 1.6 model, didnt think that anyone can drive on a 1.4 Almera :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Almera

1.4S

1995-00

175/70R13T

5X13

1.4S/1.6SR/SLX/2.0D

1995-98

185/65R14T

5.5X14

1.4S/1.6SR/SLX/2.0DGX

1998-00

185/65R14T

6X14

So you have 165/65 14 and wanted to fit to 6 inch wide wheel

Your speedometer will be 4.4% too fast but you can fit on 6 inch wide

double check the wheel size You can fit 165/65 14 to 5, 5.5 or 6 inch wide

No probs, was looking on the same site for 1.6 model, didnt think that anyone can drive on a 1.4 Almera :D

YEP
    They'll soon be in the realms of the RELIANT ROBIN-ha ha;)

OR
    perhaps something a bit more classy i.e classic or vintage car!

Its not how it looks its whats under the bonnet & if it can drive from A to Z thats important to me right now!

Ta much for everything lads.

Going back on-line now to try and sort this mess out AND LOOK FOR ANOTHER FITTER (who knows his stuff!)

:)

Piri wrote: »
    Almera

1.4S

1995-00

175/70R13T

5X13

1.4S/1.6SR/SLX/2.0D

1995-98

185/65R14T

5.5X14

1.4S/1.6SR/SLX/2.0DGX

1998-00

185/65R14T

6X14

This is terrific stuff!

I'm going to copy down some of your advice and ensure the next fitter I choose can talk some sense like you guys

Ta

lameire

Some dealers have Michelin chart on the wall
    You can show them from the chart as well

Your speedo will be fast a little bit but you can climb a mountain :)

Where that 4.4% difference comes from ?
    Made some research now and made some calculations
    If the original wheel size is 175/70/13 and now he is going for 165/65/14 -s the difference in speedo will be only 0.89% and the wheel width doesnt affect the per centage here ... So uts sounds like perfect size for me ... Well, for that size of the car a bit too narrow but does the job way better than any summer tyre :) I meam really narrow tyres are for lighter cars ...

Where that 4.4% difference comes from ?
    Made some research now and made some calculations
    If the original wheel size is 175/70/13 and now he is going for 165/65/14 -s the difference in speedo will be only 0.89% and the wheel width doesnt affect the per centage here ... So uts sounds like perfect size for me ... Well, for that size of the car a bit too narrow but does the job way better than any summer tyre :) I meam really narrow tyres are for lighter cars ...

The tyres I have now are; 175/65/R14 (Matador Summers I think)
    I bought 165/65/R14 (Winters). Was told they wouldn't fit so cancelled the order.

Tell me guys if you had a choice of:
    165/65/R14 Bridgestone Blizzard LM30 or Vectra 4 season.

OR
    185/65/R14 Bridgestone Blizzak, or nankang snow SV2 or Debico Frigo 2 or Barum Polaris 2.

WHICH SIZE would you choose (bearing in mind type & age of car) and which tyres would you choose bearing in mind rural terrain!!!

cheers

Want to re-order before I get some shut-eye;)

• Advertisement

I bought 165/65/R14 (Winters). Was told they wouldn't fit so cancelled the order.

Tell me guys if you had a choice of:
    165/65/R14 Bridgestone Blizzard LM30 or Vectra 4 season.

OR
    185/65/R14 Bridgestone Blizzak, or nankang snow SV2 or Debico Frigo 2 or Barum Polaris 2.

WHICH SIZE would you choose (bearing in mind type & age of car) and which tyres would you choose bearing in mind rural terrain!!!

cheers

Want to re-order before I get some shut-eye;)

If they were still there in my size I would have ordered the Nankang SV-2 as if I remember well they got a decent write up and weren't to dear.
    Don't get all hung up in to the very detail of speedo deviations etc. bud, in many occasions google made people in to experts.;)

I kniow what you mean!

No Nankang in my original size 175/65/R14.
    Only Firestone Winterhawk or Bridgestone Blizzard or Continentals (way too expensive).

They have a better selection in the 165/65/R14. The nankang IS available in the 185/65/R14

So not sure if I should go UP to 185 or come back down to 165!!!

Meantime found good prices on febishop but never heard of them and cannot find any reviews or anyone who has purchased from them.
    Just want to know if quotia or not as they DO have a couple of GOOD winters in my 175 size and the price is right!!!:D

I kniow what you mean!

No Nankang in my original size 175/65/R14.
    Only Firestone Winterhawk or Bridgestone Blizzard or Continentals (way too expensive).

They have a better selection in the 165/65/R14. The nankang IS available in the 185/65/R14

So not sure if I should go UP to 185 or come back down to 165!!!

Meantime found good prices on febishop but never heard of them and cannot find any reviews or anyone who has purchased from them.
    Just want to know if quotia or not as they DO have a couple of GOOD winters in my 175 size and the price is right!!!:D
    Your original size is 185/65 R 14

Check your car tomorrow morning
    Ther should be a sticker inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I had a '00 Almera 1.4 and according to my records, that is the correct size.
    Your original size is 185/65 R 14

I don't know where you're getting that Piri, unless it was an option for alloy wheels or some other version.

Lads, be careful here, I see references to both 13" and 14" wheels in the thread. There was another option of 175/70/13 tyres for this car so it is important not to confuse them. Lameire is sure he has 14" wheels (based on the R14 reference in the first quote above) so we seem to be agreed that 165/65/R14 will do the job.

Wheelnut wrote: »
    I had a '00 Almera 1.4 and according to my records, that is the correct size.

I don't know where you're getting that Piri, unless it was an option for alloy wheels or some other version.

Lads, be careful here, I see references to both 13" and 14" wheels in the thread. There was another option of 175/70/13 tyres for this car so it is important not to confuse them. Lameire is sure he has 14" wheels (based on the R14 reference in the first quote above) so we seem to be agreed that 165/65/R14 will do the job.
    I think the real question here is this - Lameire, do you have standard steelies/alloys on the car or are they after market?

@ Piri; Did the man not "read" out what size he has at the moment, why keep confusing him with all these numbers?

@ Piri; Did the man not "read" out what size he has at the moment, why keep confusing him with all these numbers?
    No, he "typed" it out boss! :pac:

Mozoltov! wrote: »

Inverted comma's not mean anyting to you :D

I think the real question here is this - Lameire, do you have standard steelies/alloys on the car or are they after market?

THEY ARE STANDARD ALLOYS

YEP-YOU GOT IT IN ONE!

HA HA-AND WITH BOTH FINGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement