Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What number is C. Ronaldo?

• 06-12-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I wrote here a few weeks ago - I'm a mum with an 8yr old who is soccer mad lately, and I was looking for Ronaldo's jersey from Santa;)

Anyway, I got the white Real Madrid jersey and shorts and assumed he was number 7, so asked the girl in the shop to do his name and number 7 on the back...she told me he was number 9 however. So I rang my brother, who hasn't a clue bout soccer either, but googled it and told me he was number 9. So I told the girl to go ahead and put number 9 on the jersey.

Now I've just had a look on the net myself, and I've seen a few stories saying he's now number 7:confused:
    So did santy get it wrong:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

He was number 9 last year, but as of this year he is his more favoured number 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

No. 7 unfortunately these days OP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh dear.
    santy has cocked it up im afraid :(

Cristiano Ronaldo is number 7 for real madrid. he was number 9 last year. NEVER listen to people in shops about anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭RobTheLad

realhomebackbgn.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    He was number 9 last year, but as of this year he is his more favoured number 7.

Ur kiddin!!! The girl in the shop said he was number 7 for the world cup, and number 7 for man u....but that he was number 9 this year!!!!!

Arrrgggh...what will I do? 48euro for the jersey and 10 for the number and name!

This is mental...I'm cracking up here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tell him it's a recession so santa is a year behind on his presents.

Fittle wrote: »
    Ur kiddin!!! The girl in the shop said he was number 7 for the world cup, and number 7 for man u....but that he was number 9 this year!!!!!

Arrrgggh...what will I do? 48euro for the jersey and 10 for the number and name!

Afraid so!

Not sure how familiar you are with football, but basically a player called Raul was number 7 at Real Madrid for years, so Ronaldo had to take number 9 when he joined last year. Raul left this summer, so the number 7 was vacant and Ronaldo took it.

There's also the theory that Madrid also wanted Ronaldo to move to number 7, because many fans already had "Ronaldo 9" jerseys because another player called Ronaldo had previously played for the club a few years earlier under the number 9.

But yeah, Cristiano Ronaldo is now number 7 once again I'm afraid! I doubt your young lad will notice, not care too much if it's any consolation. And don't feel bad, the same thing happened me twice. I got Beckham 10 on a jersey the same year he changed to number 7, and I also got Rooney 8 the same year he changed to number 10!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Hi all, I wrote here a few weeks ago - I'm a mum with an 8yr old who is soccer mad lately, and I was looking for Ronaldo's jersey from Santa;)

Anyway, I got the white Real Madrid jersey and shorts and assumed he was number 7, so asked the girl in the shop to do his name and number 7 on the back...she told me he was number 9 however. So I rang my brother, who hasn't a clue bout soccer either, but googled it and told me he was number 9. So I told the girl to go ahead and put number 9 on the jersey.

Now I've just had a look on the net myself, and I've seen a few stories saying he's now number 7:confused:
    So did santy get it wrong:confused:

It might not work,but the girl told you the wrong number and now its messed up. Go back and complain and see if anything comes of it.

In fairness, he had told me ronaldo was number 7 now, and even asked santa, in his letter that went up the chimney LAST NIGHT for a ronaldo jersey with his name and number 7 on the back!!!!

He probably won't mind though....I already told him when I got in from work that Ronaldo was now number 9 and luckily found some pics of him with the 9 jersey on....

I was in 3 different sports shops today (one didn't have his size, the other didn't have the numbers) and ALL THREE of the 17yr old girls told me ronaldo was number 9 now...as did my brother!!

Right...I'll just convince him that Santa had the jersey made before he changed numbers....:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

This is mental...I'm cracking up here!!

Complain and try to get it changed. You deffo can't give it to the kid anyway. Kids are cruel at that age and his mates will no doubt give him stick over it. That kinda **** will stay with a person.

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Complain and try to get it changed. You deffo can't give it to the kid anyway. Kids are cruel at that age and his mates will no doubt give him stick over it. That kinda **** will stay with a person.

But I bought the jersey in one shop that didn't have the number.

And brought it back to another shop and the girl in that shop did it for me. She told me she shouldn't have done it, because their policy is only to put numbers/names on jerseys bought in their shop...

I don't seriously have to pay another 58euro for a jersey...do I....

And brought it back to another shop and the girl in that shop did it for me. She told me she shouldn't have done it, because their policy is only to put numbers/names on jerseys bought in their shop...

Well you could give him jersey you have and see how he likes it. If you were intent on getting him a number 7 one, there are websites a lot of people on this forum use to order jerseys for very cheap. You could get the jersey, name, number and arm badges for around €25. They're not official, and technically they are "knock offs" but it is almost impossible to tell the difference, and kids of that age would definitely not know. I doubt you would have it delivered in time for Christmas though :(

If you have the receipt for the place that put the number on, chance your arm there. Complain to the manager, who knows maybe they'll give you a discount on one of their jerseys or something.

The kids 8 so he'll eventually find out that Ronaldo's number 7, especially if he sees he's mates with their jerseys.

To an adult its not such a big deal, but to an 8 year old such a thing is catastrophic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I honestly don't thionk u8 year olds will be that wel up on whether Ronaldo wears 7 or 9 for Real Madrid. If they were a few years older then maybe it'd be a problem, but not for kids that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

That is a bitch. Does anyone know can the number be removed with a hot iron??

Ps. I am not recommending this as I say its risky but maybe someone else has actually achieved this???

Trying not to panic here....

I think it's only when he'd get back to school that anyone would cop - there's only one lad on the road, who might remark on it over the xmas holidays, otherwise I think he'll get away with it. Crap...I'm ragin:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

flahavaj wrote: »
    I honestly don't thionk u8 year olds will be that wel up on whether Ronaldo wears 7 or 9 for Real Madrid. If they were a few years older then maybe it'd be a problem, but not for kids that age.

I dunno about that. I gave drum lessons to an 8 year old who was footy mad and you couldn't put anything past him. Put me to shame at times...:o

If you have the receipt for the place that put the number on, chance your arm there. Complain to the manager, who knows maybe they'll give you a discount on one of their jerseys or something.

The kids 8 so he'll eventually find out that Ronaldo's number 7, especially if he sees he's mates with their jerseys.

To an adult its not such a big deal, but to an 8 year old such a thing is catastrophic.

But this girl did it for me as a 'favour'...she knew I didn't buy the jersey there but said if I slipped it into the bag from that shop (I had just bought a football there), and handed it to her, that it would look like I'd bought it there (in case her manager saw)...all very cloak and dagger if you ask me and I've no idea why they won't put numbers on any jersey, as opposed to jerseys that you buy in that shop only! But I paid her the price of it...I'd hate her to get into trouble when technically, she thought she was doing me a favour. She said she did number 9 on those jerseys up till only recently - said I'd been the first to buy it again in recent weeks....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

mars bar wrote: »
    I dunno about that. I gave drum lessons to an 8 year old who was footy mad and you couldn't put anything past him. Put me to shame at times...:o

Gotta agree with the mars on this. And kids are horrid little shi-tes when they want to be. Chance your arm with the printing shop. good luck with it...

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »

Yeah, I told my lad he was number 9, but not to panic, because santy was SURE to realise that it was the wrong number on the letter - then I found some pics of him in number 9 on youtube...so he'd swallow it, no problem...

It's the others around him that might point it out to him though:(

Is there a 'Smilies' here with tears on it....:(:(

lordgoat wrote: »
    Gotta agree with the mars on this. And kids are horrid little shi-tes when they want to be. Chance your arm with the printing shop. good luck with it...

But it wasn't a printing shop.

It was a sports shop who only print names on numbers on jerseys you buy in that shop (not sure I can name either shop here?)....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

It's a bit of an unfortunate situation. I disagree with those saying kids won't notice/won't give him stick. They will, and they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

It depends on how well up his is with his football too-i'd get it past one nephew of that age but not the other.
    I'd try going back to the shop-if she told you he was number 9 and he isn't you should be within your right to get it fixed. If it was a different situation and you went in looking for a phone charger for example and she got it wrong no doubt you'd go back. Did you get a receipt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Surprised I'm the first to say this but:

He's a number 1 cnut! :D

yeah, i got a receipt alright....

And like you, I'd get this around my own lad...

But there's another lad on the road who's streets ahead of him when it comes to facts on footie...I can almost hearing him on xmas morning saying 'You've the wrong number on your jersey ha-ha....'

m@cc@ wrote: »

Most of us are trying not to be dicks in front of a mum who feels distraught enough already tbh

But this girl did it for me as a 'favour'...she knew I didn't buy the jersey there but said if I slipped it into the bag from that shop (I had just bought a football there), and handed it to her, that it would look like I'd bought it there (in case her manager saw)...all very cloak and dagger if you ask me and I've no idea why they won't put numbers on any jersey, as opposed to jerseys that you buy in that shop only! But I paid her the price of it...I'd hate her to get into trouble when technically, she thought she was doing me a favour. She said she did number 9 on those jerseys up till only recently - said I'd been the first to buy it again in recent weeks....

Ah I see. As a poster above said, it may be possible to have the number removed and get number 7 printed over it. I have seen this done, however, it will probably leave a feint trace of the number 9 underneath the 7 and this can look a bit shoddy.

Still plenty of time to sort it out one way or the other, so don't get too worked up over it. Better you found out today than Christmas eve.

Ah I see. As a poster above said, it may be possible to have the number removed and get number 7 printed over it. I have seen this done, however, it will probably leave a feint trace of the number 9 underneath the 7 and this can look a bit shoddy.

Still plenty of time to sort it out one way or the other, so don't get too worked up over it. Better you found out today than Christmas eve.

I have the time alright...not sure I have another spare 58euro though...:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

m@cc@ wrote: »

yeah, i got a receipt alright....

Great to see the masses have copped on.:pac:

Perhaps sell the one you have on ebay at a discounted price? I know it's pretty much cutting your losses, but at least if it sold it would take a chunk off buying a new jersey if that's a route you're going to go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

In fairness, he had told me ronaldo was number 7 now, and even asked santa, in his letter that went up the chimney LAST NIGHT for a ronaldo jersey with his name and number 7 on the back!!!!

He probably won't mind though....I already told him when I got in from work that Ronaldo was now number 9 and luckily found some pics of him with the 9 jersey on....

I was in 3 different sports shops today (one didn't have his size, the other didn't have the numbers) and ALL THREE of the 17yr old girls told me ronaldo was number 9 now...as did my brother!!

Right...I'll just convince him that Santa had the jersey made before he changed numbers....:(

Unfortunately that's your problem right there.

No use to you now but if there's any other mothers reading this, bookmark this site to be 100% sure -

www.footballsquads.co.uk

(or ask boards first)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

You won't have to pay €58, I'd say. I remember I got a reversable United jersey a few years ago and I had Van Nistelrooy on one side and I went into the shop to get Beckham on the other side, but the man told me that if he tried to put Beckham on the other side that it'd burn off the Van Nistelrooy.

Wouldn't have a clue how to sell anything on ebay...never did it before. Would there be any interest in it??

I might just get him to ask around in school this week, to see what number ronaldo is..and see what the feedback is..like see do many of his pals know...if they don't, I might just stick with the number 9....but then if anyone pointed it out to him, I'd have to kill them:(:(

Ive an idiot for a brother too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Wouldn't have a clue how to sell anything on ebay...never did it before. Would there be any interest in it??

I might just get him to ask around in school this week, to see what number ronaldo is..and see what the feedback is..like see do many of his pals know...if they don't, I might just stick with the number 9....but then if anyone pointed it out to him, I'd have to kill them:(:(

Ive an idiot for a brother too....

you could potentially blackmail your brother? be real accusing, stress the word you as much as possible

"you dont want your (add favorite/only/adoring as required) nephew to have a bad christmas do you?"

"you said he was number 9, dont you know anything about football?"

it'd work on me in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Buy him a Messi jersey and tell him to cop on.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's your problem right there.

No use to you now but if there's any other mothers reading this, bookmark this site to be 100% sure -

www.footballsquads.co.uk

(or ask boards first)

One of the girls gave me a big speech (in front of two lads also at the tills btw) telling me that ronaldo was number 7 in the world cup, number 7 for man u and that everyones confused, but that he's number 9 now, for sure!!

This was the shop I bought the jersey in..the one that DIDN'T have the ronaldo9 number:confused: They DID have the ronaldo7 tho....but then she gave me the above 'speech'....and off I went, back to the other sports shop....arrrrgggghhhh!!

Why didn't I come to boardies first:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Don't suppose you happen to know anyone in the t-shirt printing business? They might know can they change the 9 to a 7 even.

jebidiah wrote: »
    you could potentially blackmail your brother? be real accusing, stress the word you as much as possible

"you dont want your (add favorite/only/adoring as required) nephew to have a bad christmas do you?"

"you said he was number 9, dont you know anything about football?"

it'd work on me in fairness.

I've text him in the past 20minutes to do just that:D

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Don't suppose you happen to know anyone in the t-shirt printing business? They might know can they change the 9 to a 7 even.

I don't unfortunately....with all the trouble I had trying to get the number in the first place, I asked if the tshirt place in the ilac would do it for me, but was told they don't do it like the football numbers should be done...

I suppose I could bring it back into town in the morning and head to the various shops and cry:confused::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Not the end of the world, there's clips/pictures of him wearing no9 out there, if it was a completely random number he might get a bit of stick but cant see any problems

One of the girls gave me a big speech (in front of two lads also at the tills btw) telling me that ronaldo was number 7 in the world cup, number 7 for man u and that everyones confused, but that he's number 9 now, for sure!!

This was the shop I bought the jersey in..the one that DIDN'T have the ronaldo9 number:confused: They DID have the ronaldo7 tho....but then she gave me the above 'speech'....and off I went, back to the other sports shop....arrrrgggghhhh!!

Why didn't I come to boardies first:(

Well there you go. Go back to that shop with your number 9 shirt and some evidence that he IS number 7 and tell them that they misinformed you and forced you to trapse around the city looking for a number 9 shirt.

I used to do the printing in a JJB and the amount of messes I had to clean up after a day off due to misspelling etc was bloody annoying. Speak to a manager and give a sob story and they should sort you out.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well there you go. Go back to that shop with your number 9 shirt and some evidence that he IS number 7 and tell them that they misinformed you and forced you to trapse around the city looking for a number 9 shirt.

I used to do the printing in a JJB and the amount of messes I had to clean up after a day off due to misspelling etc was bloody annoying. Speak to a manager and give a sob story and they should sort you out.

So bring the jersey back to the shop I bought it in? And not the one that put the number on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sorry to hear of your troubles OP.

The MAIN reason (I believe) he is now 7 was because it was stipulated in his initial contract that he would get it once it was vacated and the main reason for that was that the CR7 trademark doesnt make as much sense or sound as cool when CR wears 9 on his back. All bull****ty trademark nonsense and absolutely nothing to do with football.

So bring the jersey back to the shop I bought it in? And not the one that put the number on it?

Yep they screwed you over not only with the wrong printing, but also with having the hassle of trying to find a place that would do the number (the wrong one). Make sure you emphasise that.

Take the receipt for both into the shop as proof and speak to a manager. Chances are he'll roll his eyes and think 'ffs' if he's into his football as it's a basic error and then just do a write off on your shirt.

Sports stores are allowed roughly 5% of stock to be stolen/written off when it comes to audit time so it really makes no difference to them. I did it a number of times, and I was just a mere staff member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Yes, they gave you incorrect information.

And they lost business over it too - they had no.7 in stock!!!

#15 wrote: »
    Yes, they gave you incorrect information.

And they lost business over it too - they had no.7 in stock!!!

Yep, they did.

AND my 8yr old was right in his letter to Santy:D

Right, I'll bring them all back tomorrow and see what happens (I bought the 18euro shorts too btw!!!)

Thanks alot guys, really appreciate this. I know the offside rule, but this is my first jaunt at buying the football jersey with name and number for him.....thanks again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Yep, they did.

AND my 8yr old was right in his letter to Santy:D

Right, I'll bring them all back tomorrow and see what happens (I bought the 18euro shorts too btw!!!)

Thanks alot guys, really appreciate this. I know the offside rule, but this is my first jaunt at buying the football jersey with name and number for him.....thanks again:)

Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

People are saying little Fittle would be happy untill one of his mates tells him he is #7? What happens when he sits down to watch Real Madrid in the Champions League and Ronaldo comes out wearing number 7? He would be raging!

Good luck in bringing it back to the shop, hopefully that know-it-all 17 year old girl will be working and she will learn to check her facts before giving out information which is false.

Ok guys, do yis want the GOOD news:D

The very nice girl in the very nice shop has changed the jersey...and for an extra tenner I got the name and CORRECT number on it! Their numbers are 20euro - the other shop was only 10euro, but to be honest, I'm so relieved, I think I've have paid any amount just to get the jersey changed with the right number on it!

After I explained my story, the (19yr old) manager said as a gesture of good will, they would exchange the jersey (even though it wasn't their responsibility!)....

So home tonight to convince the 8yr old he was right after all...and that Santy will bring the right jersey:D:D:D

Thanks again boardsies!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement