Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crashed me car this evening...

• 06-12-2010 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hit some ice, car took off. Be careful out there.
    Fiat 2010.
    Car is being towed in to garage in the morning (thanks AA) and am being given a courtesy car for 2 days through them.

All that sorted. Now the real damage. Garage guy who called out to see it said that the steering/wheel "arms" are broken on both sides, and looks like steering column too, along with some cosmetic damage to the side panel (and the cap came off the alloy). Basically the steering - flucked!

Any ideas how much ball park we are talking here? Just so I dont get weak at knees when I hear. Am fully comp - dunno if there is any advangtage to this though. Havent claimed in 9 years of own insurance and now possibly all wiped out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

How unfortunate :(

Glad everyone's OK :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Sorry to hear OP. Happened me 2 weeks ago. If your fully comp check if you have no claims bonus protection. You can make a claim and it wont affect your premium but you have to stay with the same insurer for 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Excluding the steering rack, I have no clue what they'd charge you for that, it could be anywhere between €500-700 for the panels and the steering arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Its not nice at all at all...

Exhausted from the whole thing. Took an hour to drag car out of ditch as the wheel were not working. Then organising the rest of it...

Wasnt going fast. But the snow looked like it had melted and I was going about 25km. Hit ice and that was it...so word to the warning. Just because road doesnt look icy......

Dont think have bonus protection. Looked at policy there and its the main charge, a broker charge and optional extras (said nothing about bonus protection :o). Cripes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You might have step back on your insurance which means you jump back probably 2 years NCB. Youd need to check with your insurer.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Electronic steering , its very dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Sorry to hear about that OP. There's many joys to motoring but there's also the monumentally **** moments ... and this is one of them! As people will say to you they're only heaps of metal at the end of the day, no matter how much we love them, and thank god no one was hurt.

I was actually dismayed to see a thread here the other day about people ragging on other drivers for driving too slow. This is generally such a 'doo gooder - holier than tho' forum it surprised me.

I had my type r out for the first time on saturday and I was being overtaken by buses and everything. People can go and ****e if they think I'm driving too slow.

Yeah - its just metal at the end of the day...am converted now to driving extra extra slow...it just aint worth it. About 2 foot away from where the car landed and I was gone down a 9 foot drop. Now thats when logic kicks in. Pity its a 2010 car and was thinking of selling it in Jan or so.

BTW, if I ever went to sell it, do I have to disclose that it was crashed? I mean I will be getting it repaired to the highest spec possible, but if people hear a 2010 crashed already, might put them off. Ohhh so many questions.

Piri wrote: »
    Electronic steering , its very dear

Ummm shur that could mean anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sorry for your troubles OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

messymess wrote: »
    I had my type r out for the first time on saturday and I was being overtaken by buses and everything. People can go and ****e if they think I'm driving too slow.

I spent 3 days last week driving no faster than 30kmph back and forth to work. Im sure I pissed off a few 4x4 drivers but quite frankly I couldnt care less; in this weather Id sooner take a hour to drive 10 miles and get there in one piece.

Oh baloobas...

So AA are towing car to Fiat garage in town.

Checked out my insurance company, and they say that they tow it to nearest garage of their choice (Zurich).

It will be collected about 7am in the morning where accident happened. What in the heck am I supposed to do?

Would prefer Fiat to fix it....still has 2 year warranty on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A Fiat EPAS motor/rack is about 800 quid new, from having had to price one. You aren't likely to want a s/hand one on a 2010 car, particularly for warranty reasons, but they are a lot cheaper...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dellas1979 wrote: »

BTW, if I ever went to sell it, do I have to disclose that it was crashed? I mean I will be getting it repaired to the highest spec possible, but if people hear a 2010 crashed already, might put them off. Ohhh so many questions.

Yeah, it's pretty bad faith not to tbh.

Why is it bad faith if the car is going to be fixed?

Because a car that has been crashed, no matter how well repaired, is worth less than a car that hasn't been crashed.

If someone asks you directly and you deny it, you're breaking the law. If you admit it and isn't on the ad, you can say goodbye to the sale as they won't trust anything else you've said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If someone asks you must tell them. And a lot of people ask. No matter how good the repair it will always be worth less and will be spotted by people that know what they are looking for.

Well, I dont think its fair that I am out of pocket for something that wasnt my fault. It will be fixed as new. It was damaged, it will be fixed as new. Its a new car, with even newer parts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Oh baloobas...

Checked out my insurance company, and they say that they tow it to nearest garage of their choice (Zurich).

It will be collected about 7am in the morning where accident happened. What in the heck am I supposed to do?

You get to choose who repairs the damage. That said, i've never been impressed by main dealer crash repair work.

Seriously?
    The only mark visually on the car is on the front panel, and that is getting replaced. Not beat out and painted. Replaced. Fine, its not an original part of the car, but it is just as good.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    You get to choose who repairs the damage. That said, i've never been impressed by main dealer crash repair work.

Well, I had decided only a few days ago that Ill be holding onto it for at least another year anyways. At least Ill know that it is going ok at that stage. I wouldnt sell something that wasnt fixed properly, esp to do with the steering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well, I dont think its fair that I am out of pocket for something that wasnt my fault. It will be fixed as new. It was damaged, it will be fixed as new. Its a new car, with even newer parts!
    Sorry to hear about your crash but good to hear everyone is okay.

However, I dont think that's a very honest way to look at it, many cars get damaged without it being the fault of the owner.
    What happens if you do sell the car without disclosing the crash? The next owner is out of pocket for something that defo wasnt their fault.

What you would be doing would be illegal and the potential owner could very easily find out what history the car had.

Right right...come on.

I'll get ridiculous offers for a brand new car that was repaired to high spec as new.

If someone asked me, Id tell them.

If the car is worth 10K without crashing, what am I supposed to do? Take 8 for a brand new car that has been repaired? Come on now. Do you think the next owner would disclose info? Or a garage it will be sold to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Right right...come on.

I'll get ridiculous offers for a brand new car that was repaired to high spec as new.

If the car is worth 10K without crashing, what am I supposed to do? Take 8 for a brand new car that has been repaired? Come on now. Do you think the next owner would disclose info? Or a garage it will be sold to?

BY LAW - they have to disclose IF a potential buyer asks....and so do you when selling the car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

At least nobody was hurt. Cars are relatively easily and cheaply fixed.

Right right...come on.

If you claim on insurance, anyone who does a history check will be able to find out.

Just tell people - you are basically deceiving them otherwise. The car has been crashed and will never be un-crashed; no matter how well it was repaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Right right...come on.

The next owner would have been shafted by yourself. It would be their conscience they would need to question. (As well as an expensive legal bill should they be caught - like yourself)

Trying to justify it by saying it wasnt your fault is what common criminals do (a lot of the time) to justify their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Oh baloobas...

Most main dealers don't do crash repairs, they just farm it out to insurance approved crash repair centres and charge a nice big markup. These guys are usually more highly skilled and experienced at crash repairs, it's their bread & butter.

As for the warranty I don't think it will cover crash repaired items no matter who does them, Fiat or anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you'll find that you can claim a depression allowance. Basically you can claim about 10per cent of the value due to loss when you sell it.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    As for the warranty I don't think it will cover crash repaired items no matter who does them, Fiat or anyone else.

Fiat's warranty is upheld if the repair is done via a dealer (e.g. by whoever they get to do it), both the standard manu warranty and the paintwork and anti perforation warranties (much longer, up to 12 years for the latter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ted1 wrote: »
    you'll find that you can claim a depression allowance. Basically you can claim about 10per cent of the value due to loss when you sell it.

I think you mean depreciation allowance, for the reduced value of the car after being crashed rather than for your down-hearted mood :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

ted1 wrote: »
    claim it from where

guil wrote: »
    claim it from where

The insurer you're claiming off. If its your own policy it'll just come back in part on your premiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Well, I dont think its fair that I am out of pocket for something that wasnt my fault.
    Certainly wasn't anyone elses fault. Just tell the truth, it is now a previously crashed car. Take pics if you like and show what was repaired, that might give some confidence back to next buyer.
    How would you feel if you bought a car from someone and later found out it was crashed, and they didn't tell you because "it was repaired?"

Ah Ive decided Ill be holding onto it for another year or so anyways.

Id love the new audi A1 though ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement