Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dreamcast Game

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope it's good although it's the same people that did Last Hope which was a bit crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hmm, I'm interested now in getting a DC. Where would be the best place to pick one up on the cheap?

Just saw this guys remark on the article, is this true? Get one made on or before 2000?

"1: Go buy a Dreamcast for around $20. (Get one made in early 2000 or before- look on the bottom)

2: Buy a VGA box from racketboy.com, hook the DC up to your monitor or plasma or whatever. I cant stress this enough- the vga box is mandatory, do not use the regular composite hookup. With a vga connection, the DC looks incredible.

2: dl all the wonderful but prohibitively expensive import shooters you never played. Check this list out: *removed*
    Burn them on cdrs, pop them in and play. No modchip needed!

3: Marvel at how beautiful the games look, how crisp and responsive they are, how cool the music and gameplay is. Become a Dreamcast Shmup hobbyist and collector. Seriously, these are some incredibly fun, fun games; and an amazing change of pace from a lot of the totally complex, bloated, story-driven current gen stuff you may be used to. Trust me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Yeah, The pre-2000 consoles play backups. I just sold mine recently as well as my vga cable/box.

Gosh i had no idea about that. I also like the look of those screen shots, maybe I will get a DC in the new year and get this game too!
    Seen a few DC's on ebay, price not too bad. Is there a code on the console that i should look for or is it just a date? Anywhere in Dublin sell them?

Sorry for all the questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just to note one thing, the vga box is not mandatory. An RGB scart cable produces a beautiful picture too. If you have the option, get a VGA and hook it up to a PC monitor. If you don't, RGB scart via your tv is lovely too.

If you're interested in shooters, then get a VGA box so you can rotate the monitor vertically and you can play the games properly. It's great fun.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks for the tip o1s1n!
    Lookin forward to this now, will hold off until Jan and get one off ebay, seems the best bet.
    Seems like there is loads of games (like 600 odd) for me to try on it. How come i never thought of getting a DC, duh!

Master of the Universe

I didn't buy one for years either! Silly really when being a big dirty pirate is so easy with it.

All I use my own DC now is for shooters. It's perminantly connected to a monitor. It's worth owning one for Ikaruga alone.

I'd love to get a second one to keep connected up to my CRT for House of the Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

One thing though: don't pirate the games that are still being released! If you want them to continue being made, support them!

Bought Last Hope (Pink Bullets version) and Dux earlier this year...have yet to play them though!

ghostchant wrote: »
    One thing though: don't pirate the games that are still being released! If you want them to continue being made, support them!

Bought Last Hope (Pink Bullets version) and Dux earlier this year...have yet to play them though!

Yeah I saw on Wiki that loads of games still being made for it.
    I'll buy the ones that are cheap for the system from the new devs.

What games would you recommend? Seems to be a lot of quality games for it out there.

Also, I'm so sorry to hi-jack brianon's topic with my n00b ramblings!!! :o

Master of the Universe

As far as shooters, just get everything on this list ;)

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/03/dreamcast-shmups-library-2d-shooters.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Correction, get everything on that list except Radilgy and LastHope because they are pants.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Correction, get everything on that list except Radilgy and LastHope because they are pants.

You're such a party pooper :p

Advertisement