Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Crackers - what's out there?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I'd like to buy some christmas crackers to bring to a party (small student societies christmas dinner) and I was hoping you might have some ideas. I've never purchased crackers before and don't know where to start! I'm presuming Marks and Spencer would have some classy ones... but perhaps someone has a suggestion?

I'm going to have a look about Dublin City Centre tomorrow and I'll let you know what I come across :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Marks and Spencers are nice but a bit expensive. Boots do good crackers and are often in the 3 for 2 range. Lidl have good crackers this year, cheap but cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Thanks for the ideas :) I never thought of Boots! Ah, christmas crackers from a chemist... who would have thought! I won't be near a Lidl at all to check them out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye I'd second the likes of Boots, given there's the 3 for 2 offer probably on them.
    M&S can be nice but also a bit expensive (we usually wait til the sales & get them half price/less and keep them for the next year).
    Tbh all you need is a decent cracker (i.e. one that makes the noise & pulls apart properly) a stupid joke / hat and something silly that you end up swapping with someone else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

So what did you buy in the end??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

:D In the end I decided I couldn't bare to pick anything of the lot and I went and bought some lovely mini-chocolate bars to share. It being a vegan and vegetarian christmas party I thought some fancy vegan chocolates would go down well - and they did! (Dinner party was yesterday)

But I took down some info for anyone interested:

Dunnes Stores had some basic crackers (5 euro for a 10 pack)

Marks and Spencer had a range: your basic kids toys (13 euro for 12), to metal puzzles (16 euro for 6), to the fancy stuff (20 euro for 6, up to 35 euro for a box of 6) containing: flashlight, credit card sized calculator, small set of tools, smart pens that could do all sorts etc - what you would expect from a formal business party.

Boots had three types in the range (20 euro for 12, 9.50 euro for 12, 10 euro for 6). Nothing crazy smart there, but all a bit of fun.

There were 3 for 2 deals in Boots and Marks and Spencers.

So, Dunnes would sort you for decoration (hats and popping!) and kids and M+S metal puzzles would entertain the older children. The question is... whose jokes are better?!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement