Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold weather driving

• 06-12-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Minus 14 on way to work this morning from south Wicklow. Even the inside of the windscreen was iced up to begin with. Hands and feet bloody freezing the whole drive despite the heating on high. By the time I got to work the temperature had risen to a balmy -3.

Fair play to my skoda octavia diesel all the same. Started 1st time and drove on crappy roads without a bother.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Hmm sounds like my run, I pack a hot water bottle !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The thing is that diesels (and especially modern diesels) don't get very hot at low load. Trundling around at low revs hardly gets them lukewarm. So in this kind of weather where it's freezing outside and you can't put the boot down it's hat and glove time really

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

peasant wrote: »
    The thing is that diesels (and especially modern diesels) don't get very hot at low load. Trundling around at low revs hardly gets them lukewarm. So in this kind of weather where it's freezing outside and you can't put the boot down it's hat and glove time really
    I think its more about the thermostat.
    Thermosthats on cars which are made for colder countries, will open later which means the smaller circle will get hotter and therefor you have more warmth in saloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Yeah, had to wrap up alright. I noticed that my avg fuel consumption for the journey was still 5.0l/100km despite the desperate slow speed at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I know there is "paddy spec" for cars in Ireland ...but not when it comes to thermostats. :D

Some modern diesels run so cold, they actually have auxilliary heaters for the cabin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement