Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook not connecting to Wireless network.

Options
  • 06-12-2010 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All

Just wondering if any of you could help me with this problem?!

Over the past month my Netbook has stopped connecting to my wireless network. On the very rare occasion it does connect for 30 - 45 minutes but most nights it it just won't connect at all. I've had UPC broadband since Last March and when the wireless does decide it wants to connect to my laptop i would easily get 25-30mb download speeds (RS).

To begin I have the following:

- Samsung NC10 running Windows XP home SP3.
    - UPC 30Mb Internet
    - Cisco EPC2425 router.

I also have a desktop PC on Dualboot XP Pro / Windows 7 Pro and both have no problem connecting up to the Internet via LAN.

Sometimes the Netbook will detect my Network with a full signal strength however when I click to connect on it it will keep trying to connect until it fails and tell me to contact my systems administrator. I've been onto UPC about this and they instructed me to delete all other possible networks from my wireless network properties however this has not helped at all.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

try change the wireless channel on your router to 1, 6, or 11

that might help, if issue still the same, try with different laptop, it could be the wireless on your netbook?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cbdub81

akamossie wrote: »
    try change the wireless channel on your router to 1, 6, or 11

that might help, if issue still the same, try with different laptop, it could be the wireless on your netbook?!!

Thanks for the response akamossie, I'll try changing the channel on my router and see how I get on.

I thought about the wireless on the netbook being the problem however is it not strange that it works some nights and not on others?

Its working fine tonight but more than likely it'll be gone tomrrow night.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You could download a program called netstumbler and it should show you any other wireless networks in the area which be on on the same channel and causing interference with your own network. Are there any other wireless gadgets in the house which might be causing interference?

You dont by any chance have any other wireless settings on the netbook for using with other networks elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

You're not running a cordless handset or DECT handset, anywhere near the router are you?

dub45 wrote: »
    You could download a program called netstumbler and it should show you any other wireless networks in the area which be on on the same channel and causing interference with your own network. Are there any other wireless gadgets in the house which might be causing interference?

You dont by any chance have any other wireless settings on the netbook for using with other networks elsewhere?

No other wireless gadgets in the house, except for 2 mobile phones but i'm guessing they don't really count??

I'll defo give that program a shot. I haven't had a chance to change the channel on the router yet, Will do it tomorrow. Although the netbook does pick up between roughly 6 - 10 different wireless networks around me from the neighbours (I live in an apartment complex)
    t0mm13b wrote: »
    You're not running a cordless handset or DECT handset, anywhere near the router are you?

No, no handsets of any kind. I didn't bother going for the phone with the UPC package, no need for it really.

• Advertisement

Hi All

Just to let you know that the changing of the router channel seems to have done the trick!

Thanks for all your help guys.

Advertisement