Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android App Development, Noob Question?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 11:50pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to one lecturers awkward teaching methods, I despise the Eclipse development environment with great intensity. So I now prefer to stick with JCreator despite any drawbacks.

I would like to get into Android app development, have said prefered IDE and Android SDK management environment. I've added relavent jar files to the development environment and I'm wondering is there anything else I need to test code before running it in the Android SDK environment?

Silly question I know, but I know I'm forgetting something.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I've installed all relavent packages into JCreator and I'm testing applications before I begin the process of running them on the Android emulator, but I have a problem.

package R does not exist

This is such a rookie issue, but it's wrecking my head. Where am I going wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The R is an auto generated file created by the Eclipse plug in, you will need to see if there is a 3rd party plug in for Jcreator.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Nuts, I was just checking for additional plugins and didn't think of that. Thanks for that.

Ok I figured that with plugins through eclipse that R.java is automatically generated. I haven't found any third party add ons for JCreator to do the same, so would it be wiser to create and edit the R.java file by hand or just bite my lip and use eclipse (as much grief it's given me)?

The next issue I have. When loading the class file and creating a test module in Android, do I need to reference the R.class file or will the main .class file point to it?

Advertisement