Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather (snow & ice) damage

Options
  • 06-12-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Many houses in my estate have gutters and fascias coming away from the weight of falling ice and snow. Is this common place? Anyone else seeing the effects of snow and ice on their houses :(

Comments

During the thaw earlier today huge chunks of ice was falling off of roofs around here, but no damage that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

A shopping centre in Drogheda was damaged the other day by heavy snow and ice, i think the weight of it slide off a roof and crash through another roof causing a good bit of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Many houses in my estate have gutters and fascias coming away from the weight of falling ice and snow. Is this common place? Anyone else seeing the effects of snow and ice on their houses :(

Seen the same here where the water from the slight thaw freezes in the gutters and eventually brings them down. It will be interesting to see what the roads will be like when the snow is gone, theyre nice and smooth now with the snow on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The roads are starting to break up around here, I noticed a few new potholes today and obviously that'll become a much bigger problem by the weekend.

No real damage here aside from that but I did have a case of snow falling from the roof, hadn't a clue what it was first. It was a really loud rumble then I saw a load of frozen snow fall by the window and shatter all over the ground. Could have badly hurt someone if they were unlucky enough to be underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There's a few cobbled streets in Dublin that have almost made me empty my bowels in the driving seat they're so bad. Big lumps of snow have just iced over, you practically need a 4x4 to go along them.

There was a huge stalictite hanging from the leaky guttering here too, had to throw stuff to know it down or it would have quite literally taken someone's head off.

Bad analogy? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Walking on Church St. on Friday a huge piece of ice fell and narrowly missed me! :eek:

Heard a huge bang earlier and I'm not sure what it was... definitely not a snowball hitting the window (but that's sort of what it sounded like)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OisinT wrote: »
    Walking on Church St. on Friday a huge piece of ice fell and narrowly missed me! :eek:

Heard a huge bang earlier and I'm not sure what it was... definitely not a snowball hitting the window (but that's sort of what it sounded like)

It was a huge chunk of ice falling on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Confab wrote: »
    No, it was definitely not that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Steps outside the house are cracked, big chunks of concrete just waiting to fall off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Steps outside the house are cracked, big chunks of concrete just waiting to fall off them.

Yip, I have the same problem....steps outside patio door, but that was from the last freeze up! Seemingly, you can get stuff in the hardware shop, ready mixed and a trowl and away you go....wait til summer though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Harps wrote: »
    No real damage here aside from that but I did have a case of snow falling from the roof, hadn't a clue what it was first. .......

That was part of a consignment destined for Cork.... desperate for it, they are :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

40,000 worth of damage to the *all weather* astroturf pitch in my school because the nets and beams couldn't handle the weight of the snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

My gutter, today:

138554.JPG

Needless to say, I've removed everything from underneath where that lump of ice is going to fall.

Hopefully the gutter part will be ok when it falls. I don't hold much hope for the brackets though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

mine are the same, some have broken off and gutter is badly twisted. Insurance said its not covered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Not looking forward to all the potholes after the thaw - some of the roads haven't been fixed since last Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

My next door neighbour had to replace his gutter and fascia board that were ripped off by the weight of snow. Cost him c. 450 quid to get it fixed. Lots of work out there now in gutter repair I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

my heating is gone! freezing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Another DIY roof avalanche from Scotland...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11954988

:-)

• Advertisement

The gutter at the back of the house here is absolutely covered in massive icicles, some over half a metre long, never seen anything like it. Looks amazing but the weight must be getting dangerously high at this stage, dont want to break anything off though in case it sets off an avalanche

I have a dormer bungalow which is facing south. My hallway is open to the ceiling. It was seriously cold last night. Now the sun is belting and has melted the front of the roof but the back is still frozen-north facing.

I heard a kind of a bang twice in succession...not overly loud, like if you dropped something on the floorboards. Just wondering is it the ice melting with the sun hitting it? Heating has been on and I have an open fire going and stove in kitchen. Water is fine.....and house is warm.

Just wondering what it could be? Looked outside and sometimes birds make an awful racket and drop stuff on the roof but all looks fine. Thought it might be SOMETHING falling off roof but no......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

suitseir wrote: »
    I have a dormer bungalow which is facing south. My hallway is open to the ceiling. It was seriously cold last night. Now the sun is belting and has melted the front of the roof but the back is still frozen-north facing.

I heard a kind of a bang twice in succession...not overly loud, like if you dropped something on the floorboards. Just wondering is it the ice melting with the sun hitting it? Heating has been on and I have an open fire going and stove in kitchen. Water is fine.....and house is warm.

Just wondering what it could be? Looked outside and sometimes birds make an awful racket and drop stuff on the roof but all looks fine. Thought it might be SOMETHING falling off roof but no......

It def came from above? as it could be birds hitting off one of your windows? It happened a few times in the last cold spell esp off the conservatory.

Yea could be but sounded more from the roof. I was in the hallway at the time going from one room to another. The sun is really melting front of the house now. It did sound hollowish and like ice cracking....jeez, hard to explain. I often have problems with birds hitting the french doors. Everything seems to be fine around the house...I have checked everywhere, outside and inside. Nothing as bad as trying to identify the house.

I thought it might be water pipe bursting but hey, I would know that now at this stage. I have checked taps etc. Sorry, am rambling a bit but when you are on your own in the house....imagination runs away with your!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

suitseir wrote: »
    Yea could be but sounded more from the roof. I was in the hallway at the time going from one room to another. The sun is really melting front of the house now. It did sound hollowish and like ice cracking....jeez, hard to explain. I often have problems with birds hitting the french doors. Everything seems to be fine around the house...I have checked everywhere, outside and inside. Nothing as bad as trying to identify the house.

I thought it might be water pipe bursting but hey, I would know that now at this stage. I have checked taps etc. Sorry, am rambling a bit but when you are on your own in the house....imagination runs away with your!

I know that snow melting off the roof will sound like an avalanche and will make one hell of a noise (again from the last cold spell). It sounds to me like it could be just the snow/ice covering breaking apart in the sun or maybe a tile or gutter cracking????? I live in a bungalow as well and in this weather there is a lot of contraction/expansion due to the huge temperature changes.

Its probably just snow sliding down the roof a bit, happened here a couple of times and it makes a really loud rumbling noise

homolumo wrote: »
    I know that snow melting off the roof will sound like an avalanche and will make one hell of a noise (again from the last cold spell). It sounds to me like it could be just the snow/ice covering breaking apart in the sun or maybe a tile or gutter cracking????? I live in a bungalow as well and in this weather there is a lot of contraction/expansion due to the huge temperature changes.

More than likely. I have checked gutter, well from the ground, and downpipes at rear of house...they are still frozen....and they seem fine.

I have a large window facing south at ceiling level in my hallway and the sun hits that with all its heat and ordinarily, during the normal weather, when it does it causes the stairs and the "wooden" ceiling to contract.

I am confident now, that it is the sudden changes in temperatures and I guess if there is a cracked tile or tiles, I won't see them til afterwards. Suppose to drop to -15 again tonight in parts! Where I live went down to -7 last night. Heating on all night tonight, me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Confab wrote: »

This happened to my car which was parked off Meath St. Snow falling from the roof of the house made an enormous dent in my car roof. The full width of the car and was pushed down about 4 inches. I managed to pull it back up (with the help of a sound bloke who works in the Auto Factors at the back of Guinness) with the suction cup that you'd use for carrying panes of glass and a brush/broom handle for leverage.

Advertisement