Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Supplies to be cut off

Options
  • 07-12-2010 12:11am
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I have received an e-mail notifying me that, from tomorrow (the 7th), water supplies will be cut-off in one of 4 designated areas within Fingal from 7pm until 7am. Each of the 4 designated areas will have their supplies cut-off in turn.

Details of the "rota" will be circulated tomorrow, but each affected area will have its supply cut-off every 4th day to conserve supplies

Similar arrangements will apply across all 4 of Dublin's local authorities, and results from the problems encountered last winter when supplies ran low (partially as a result of householders running taps in the belief it would stop pipes freezing)

The suggestion is that there should be adequate supplies in storage tanks to avoid households completely running out during the 12 hour cycle (although there will, of course, be no fresh water during the period)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Beasty wrote: »
    I have received an e-mail notifying me that, from tomorrow (the 7th), water supplies will be cut-off in one of 4 designated areas within Fingal from 7pm until 7am. Each of the 4 designated areas will have their supplies cut-off in turn.

Details of the "rota" will be circulated tomorrow, but each affected area will have its supply cut-off every 4th day to conserve supplies

Similar arrangements will apply across all 4 of Dublin's local authorities, and results from the problems encountered last winter when supplies ran low (partially as a result of householders running taps in the belief it would stop pipes freezing)

The suggestion is that there should be adequate supplies in storage tanks to avoid households completely running out during the 12 hour cycle (although there will, of course, be no fresh water during the period)

Beasty will you circulate the rota when you get it?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm sure the details will be posted on the Fingal County Council website when available. I am on the circulation list of one of the local councillors, which is where I heard this from. I'm travelling tomorrow (weather permitting!), and will have limited online access, but will post details when I can, if no-one gets there before me

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Here's the link to the Fingal Co Co Water Dept Emergency Notices.

If on mobile try viewing Aertel Page 624.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Seen an artical in the Daily Star, tips for the big freeze and it said to run taps frequently.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Information copied from Page 624 of Aertel:
    Fingal County Council
    Water Supply Update 07/12/10: 2pm

The water supply will be turned off
    tonight from 7pm to 7am tomorrow
    morning in the following areas:
    Bayside, Balbriggan and the Lanesborough
    area.
    This shutdown is necessary to conserve
    water levels in the reservoirs serving
    these areas which are at a critically
    low level at present.The water supply
    is being monitored on a daily basis & it
    may be necessary to shutdown the supply
    in other areas in the coming days.
    Further updates will be provided in this
    regard.
    For further information Tel:01-8906210
    or visit www.fingalcoco.ie
    Fingal County Council

I heard this announced on the RTE1 news on the radio. Don't depend on either the FCC website or their Twitter a/c for updates. They haven't bothered updating their website or their twitter account. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Shamelessly copied from Alan Farrels twitter stream who's doing FCC's job:

The following Fingal areas will have no water tonight, Tuesday 7th. Bayside, Balbriggan, Baldoyle, Stapolin and Lanesborough area.

The following areas will have no water on Wednesday 8th. Malahide Village & Surround, P'marnock, Foxwood, Seabury, Waterside and Longlands

The following areas will have no water on Thursday 9th. Boroimhe, Airside, Holywell, Pinnock Hill, Nevinstown, Drynam and Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

sNarah wrote: »

The following Fingal areas will have no water tonight, Tuesday 7th. Bayside, Balbriggan, Baldoyle, Stapolin and Lanesborough area.

The following areas will have no water on Wednesday 8th. Malahide Village & Surround, P'marnock, Foxwood, Seabury, Waterside and Longlands

The following areas will have no water on Thursday 9th. Boroimhe, Airside, Holywell, Pinnock Hill, Nevinstown, Drynam and Skerries.

Thanks very much for that.

Fingalcoco.ie does suck. I have been stalking it for updates since the freeze began, and invariably the radio or elsewhere on the internet, or even neighbours dropping by with gossip, is more use and more up to date. Fingal County Council is a tax payer funded public service with its own IT department; its Twitter account at the very least could be updated easily from anywhere. I guess timely updates are just too much to fecking ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Excuse my ignorance, I don't see Lusk on that list. Are we getting away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Plus the part of Balbriggan fed from the naul. Anyone know if/when that is dropping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Plus the part of Balbriggan fed from the naul. Anyone know if/when that is dropping?

I was just thinking that myself....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Bog of the Ring?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dcr22B wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, I don't see Lusk on that list. Are we getting away with it?
    I believe it's a 4 day cycle. Perhaps FCC are working on a "need to know" basis - they could have decided you don't need to know yet! (In the same way as I guess they have not yet told their constituents this will be repeated!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Bog of the Ring?

No, pretty much what's north, and west of the Garda barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭NinjaNikki

i live in the estates up to dunnes are we not gettin effected?

NinjaNikki wrote: »
    i live in the estates up to dunnes are we not gettin effected?

I live up there too and we have no water! (Up the very top, beyond the Educate Together).

I live up there too and we have no water! (Up the very top, beyond the Educate Together).

odd i still have water runing think we have a tank but i really want a shower not sure if it's good idea :S

odd i still have water runing think we have a tank but i really want a shower not sure if it's good idea :S

The kitchen tap isn't running, the others are because they're on the tank, we have a house so the system is probably different if you're in an apartment, I'm pretty thick with plumbing! Fella here still wants a bath (no showers up here, water pressure is too weak!) but trying to talk him out of it. Fingal say one day but my neighbour doesn't trust them!

The kitchen tap isn't running, the others are because they're on the tank, we have a house so the system is probably different if you're in an apartment, I'm pretty thick with plumbing! Fella here still wants a bath (no showers up here, water pressure is too weak!) but trying to talk him out of it. Fingal say one day but my neighbour doesn't trust them!

well my kitchen taps still run god hope it's okay have a someone out here tomorrow meetin thing and i need a shower :P

well my kitchen taps still run god hope it's okay have a someone out here tomorrow meetin thing and i need a shower :P

You're probably alright since ours has been off since about 6pm, so if you still have it you're probably not going to be cut off! Probably good to have a quick shower at least, to play it safe!

You're probably alright since ours has been off since about 6pm, so if you still have it you're probably not going to be cut off! Probably good to have a quick shower at least, to play it safe!

Hahahaha odd could be cause we have a tank maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sNarah wrote: »

The entire text from the document accompanying Cllr Farrell's mass-mail:
    FCC wrote:
    Important Notice

Water Supply Fingal Area

Wednesday 7th December 2010

Water consumption in Fingal and the rest of the Dublin Region has increased
    considerably in the past week. The water supply in Fingal County Council’s principal
    water reservoir at Ballycoolin is falling due to the increased demand on the water supply
    network during this cold spell of weather.

As the reservoir levels continue to fall, we will now have to switch off supplies to selected
    areas on a rota basis from 7pm to 7am.

Areas Affected:

Tuesday 7th December 2010:

Bayside, Balbriggan, Baldoyle, Stapolin and Lanesborough area

Wednesday 8th December 2010:

Malahide Village and Surround, Portmarnock, Foxwood, Seabury, Waterside and
    Longlands

Thursday 9th December 2010:

Boroimhe, Airside, Holywell, Pinnock Hill, Nevinstown, Drynam and Skerries

We are appealing to consumers to conserve water and not to waste water during this
    current cold spell. We are also appealing to consumers in the faming community not to
    leave water running continually at water troughs, as this will waste water.

Tips for conserving water in the home

Be leak free – Check for running overflows and fix any dripping taps, cisterns or
    pipes. If you see a leak in a public place, please report it to Fingal County Council

Only run your washing machine and dishwasher when they're full

Don’t leave the tap running while brushing your teeth

Use a basin to rinse/clean your fruit and vegetables

Reduce the time you spend in the shower

Know how to turn off your water supply in the event of a pipe burst

Hot Drinks – only fill the kettle with enough water for your needs

We apologise for the inconvenience caused and we appreciate your co-operation and
    patience at this time

Water is precious. Let's conserve it. - Tá uisce luachmhar. Caomhnaímís é.

Telephone 01-8906210 (Mon – Thurs 9am to 5pm, Fri 9am to 4.30pm)
    Emergency Number: 01-8731415
    www.taptips.ie Aertel Page 624 www.fingalcoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

For everyone not on the list the Council/I published which was Lusk, Bog of the Ring, The Naul etc

I have emailed Water Services to enquire as to when you might expect to be on the list, if at all.

I will post it here when I receive a response.

Latest FCC Notice, which includes Friday's cut-off:
    Water consumption in Fingal and the rest of the Dublin Region has increased significantly over the past week and as a result the water supply in Fingal County Council's principal reservoir at Ballycoolin is falling due to the increased demand.
    As the reservoir levels continue to fall it is necessary to turn off the water supply to selected areas in the County each day from 7pm to 7am. These shutdowns will be carried out on a rota basis and details of areas that will be affected over the coming days are as follows:
    Tues. 7th: Bayside, Baldoyle, Stapolin, and the following areas of Balbriggan: Chapel Gate and Glebe North. The reservoir serving Malahide has reached critical levels because of a huge increase in demand this afternoon. As a result we will have to reduce pressure in this area effective immediately in order to secure the reservoir.
    Wed. 8th: Malahide Village and surround, Portmarnock, and the following areas of Swords: Longlands, Foxwood and Waterside
    Thurs. 9th: Skerries and the following areas of Swords: Boroimhe, Airside, Holywell Nevinstown and Drynam
    Fri. 10th: Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Lohunda, Hartstown, Huntstown, Blakestown, Clondsilla and parts of Blanchardstown (details to follow)
    The restrictions above could change if demand continues to increase across the county and Region

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Our water (in Lanesborough) was out from 7pm last night until 12:30pm today. So much for 7pm to 7am.

7pm is a bit early, since most are only getting home around 6:30.

Street by street shut-down details here

Milverton doesn't seem to be on it - the benefits of living on a road with no name I guess;)

Time will tell I suppose (perhaps we're linked into Lusk) ....

...just wondering whether they are concentrating on the bulit-up areas. It may be too much hassle to send someone out to turn-off the water to some of the smaller communities, where there may only be a handful of properties affected, and therefore a propotionately small amount of savings to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No mention of where I live in that list & we've been without water today. :confused:

FCC:
    We are appealing to consumers to conserve water and not to waste water during this current cold spell. We are also appealing to consumers in the faming community not to leave water running continually at water troughs, as this will waste water.

Who is the faming community?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Farming-troughs ??

• Advertisement

Could be rich famous people that live in the millionaire estate in Malahide?

All joking aside an official press release to have simple mistakes like that is very unprofessional. Communications dept in FCC appear to lacking if the twitter account and website updates are also within their remit.

Why did people have to wait to Monday morning to call about water problems that happened on the weekend? Seems its still a mon-friday organisation.

Advertisement