Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Supplies to be cut off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

P!ss-up and brewery spring to mind here. It's not like we don't get enough water falling out of the sky that this should even be necessary without the communication shambles that invariably goes along with it. Information economy? Riiight....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Fingal county council are very professional and efficient in their work ettic,they are also extremely hard working and very helpful,I WISH:mad::(:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Do farmers not have to pay water charges?
    I'd be upset paying and not receiving a service.

Also what measures have the council put in to increase their capacity to supply water since the water restrictions earlier this year?

What was the water treatment capacity 5 years ago compared to now?

Did the planning department tell the water dept the amount of extra people they gave planning permission to live in Fingal so they'd be able to meet the demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

To be fair to FCC I have had some brilliant experiences with their staff over the past year. I like to give credit where it is due.

Their twitter & website do leave a lot to be desired. There was a mistake on their Twitter earlier which they didn't delete. They simply typed up a correction for their next tweet. That tells me that they have somebody who is inexperienced maintaining their accounts.

Knowing which areas are to be cut off is all well and good but you need to be inclusive in detailing which areas. As has been pointed out earlier in the thread certain areas either aren't mentioned in the list or won't have their water cut off despite being in the region. Which is what happened in our area last night: Our water was due to be cut off but it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Do farmers not have to pay water charges?
    I'd be upset paying and not receiving a service.

Also what measures have the council put in to increase their capacity to supply water since the water restrictions earlier this year?

What was the water treatment capacity 5 years ago compared to now?

Did the planning department tell the water dept the amount of extra people they gave planning permission to live in Fingal so they'd be able to meet the demand?

Farmers pay water charges were they have a meter, a good few use bore holes were they can. You only pay for what you use. Most animals would be brought in this weather into dry barns. I can't see farmers wanting to flood the shed running water into overflowing troughs all night.

At least when water charges come in. it should be easy to identify the customers needed for re-education.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This morning's update:
    Naul/Walshestown/Ballyboghil: The water supply in the reservoir serving these areas has increased overnight and the water is now on again, however, it may take a couple of hours for pressure to build up sufficiently to reach all areas. High gorund areas may not have water until this afternoon.
    Balbriggan: There is a problem with a valve on the network which is currently being repaired. the water supply should be restored to the area by early afternoon.
    Offington/Strand Road: The water supply to this area is very low and as a result we are reducing the water pressure in the area for a number of hours today. Further updates will be provided.
    We will continue to turn off the water supply in different areas of the County from 7pm to 7am on a rota basis as detailed below, however, there may be situations where other areas that aren't listed experience a disruption to supply depending on the demand, and in this regard we are appealing to consumers to use water sparingly over the coming days.
    Water supply shutdowns will be carried out on a rota basis and details of areas that will be affected over the coming days are as follows:
    Thurs. 9th: Skerries and the following areas of Swords: Boroimhe, Airside, Holywell Nevinstown and Drynam
    Fri. 10th: Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Lohunda, Hartstown, Huntstown, Blakestown, Clondsilla and parts of Blanchardstown
    The restrictions above could change if demand continues to increase across the county and Region

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

We're up near the Castlemill centre in Balbriggan and we've been without water since 5pm yesterday and our tank has drained at this stage :mad:

Any idea when we'll be getting the water back on?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We're up near the Castlemill centre in Balbriggan and we've been without water since 5pm yesterday and our tank has drained at this stage :mad:

Any idea when we'll be getting the water back on?
    Latest update (5.30 this evening) from the link I posted above:
    Balbriggan: The water supply has been restored however, the reservoir level is low and as a result consumers in the area will experience an intermittent water supply this evening and tonight as the pumps at the reservoir will switch off when the water level decreases and will come on again when the level builds up. For this reason, we are asking consumers in the area to use water sparingly when it does return. The water supply should return to normal tomorrow morning.

Beasty wrote: »
    Latest update (5.30 this evening) from the link I posted above:

Your link states that we should have intermittent supply but we've had none since Wednesday afternoon.

Our tank is empty now, no water to even brush my teeth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Your link states that we should have intermittent supply but we've had none since Wednesday afternoon.

Our tank is empty now, no water to even brush my teeth!

I'm in New Haven. Had the same problem this morning. Tank now drained completly. Surely if there was intermittent supply the tank would have re-filled. Very annoying.

• Advertisement

11am update
    Balbriggan: There is a continuing problem with the pumps at the reservoir resulting form the fluctuation in the water supply level in the reservoir. The pumps are back on now and the area will start to get water within the next couple of hours. We are asking consumers in the area to use water sparingly when it does return as the reservoir is still at a low level.
    Naul Area: There is a burst watermain in the Naul area this morning which is currently being repaired. Consumers will experience low pressure or no water during today. Further information will be provided this afternoon.
    Howth: There is a burst watermain in St. Peter's Terrace which is currently being repaired. Water should be restored to the area by early afternoon

No further cut-off details beyond tonight, although I suspect they will continue (or resume next week)

Rush and Lusk, your time has come ....

4.30 update
    Lanesborough Area: There will be reduced pressure in the Lanesborough Area during off peak times over this weekend as the reservoir serving the areas is still at a very low level.
    Skerries: Some high ground areas may still be without water following the recent water restrictions however the water supply should return to these areas within the next couple of hours.
    We will continue to turn off the water supply in different areas of the County on a rota basis as detailed below, however, there may be situations where other areas that aren't listed experience a disruption to supply depending on the demand, and in this regard we are appealing to consumers to use water sparingly over the coming days.
    Water supply shutdowns will be carried out on a rota basis and details of areas that will be affected over the coming days are as follows:
    Fri. 10th: Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Lohunda, Hartstown, Huntstown, Blakestown, Clonsilla and Blanchardstown - (click on link below for full list of estates) - 7pm to 9am
    Sat. 11th: Swords (click on link below for full list of estates) - 7pm to 9am
    Sun 12th: Rush & Lusk (click on link below for full list of estates) - 7pm to 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Lanesborough area has no water currently. So, they reduced the pressure to 0. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think they were better at updating their twitter in January, perhaps whoever's in charge of it now isn't very interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I think they were better at updating their twitter in January, perhaps whoever's in charge of it now isn't very interested.

Good point, can we risk electing Alan Farrell to the Dail? He seems to be running the alternative FCC IT-Communications channel and showing them up. I follow him on Twitter, Politics Ireland, Boards, FG website, his blog and Facebook all of which he updates regularly with information, he holds down his day job and his councillor duties while FCC struggle to update one twitter account with highly paid and trained professionals. You can be sure we have paid for someone in FCC to go on a days twitter training somewhere, lack of interest is not a excuse not to do their job properly.

Maybe if he doesn't get a call for higher duties in the Dail next year Alan will take it upon himself to whip FCC IT-Communications depts into shape as a project. It will certainly get my vote in the 32nd Dail elections if he seeks to run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭OUTOFSYNC

I still have no water in Farmleigh, Castleknock at 18:50 - have been out all day - Anyone know whether it is due back this evening - lack of a flushing toilet might become an issue very soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

I just saw a message on Fingal County Council's twitter saying that the Malahide reservoir is critically low.

"Water Update - Reservoir at Malahide at critically low levels. Loss of supply/reduced pressure at Malahide/Portmarnock tonight & tomorrow. about 13 hours ago via web."

However, their website is down at the moment, so I have no further information.

This evening's update
    Howth Area: Update - Sunday 12th December at 8pm
    There was a power failure in the Howth area earlier which affected the pumps at our reservoirs. Customers may have had low pressure or no water for a number of hours today but most areas should have water this evening apart from areas of high ground which will take a little longer to get water.
    Malahide Area: Update - Sunday 12th December at 8pm
    Reservoir levels at Malahide are still at a critically low level and customers in Malahide and Portmarnock will continue to experience loss of supply / severely reduced pressure this evening.
    Lanesborough Area: Update - Sunday 12th December at 8pm
    In order to secure the water supply at the Sillogue reservoir, it has been necessary to reduce pressure again this evening from 7pm until 7am tomorrow morning.
    Water Supply Shutdowns
    We will continue to turn off the water supply in different areas of the County on a rota basis as detailed below, however, there may be situations where other areas that aren't listed experience a disruption to supply depending on the demand, and in this regard we are appealing to consumers to use water sparingly over the coming days.
    Sun 12th: Rush & Lusk (click on link below for full list of estates) - 7pm to 7am
    I presume they will confirm the next round of cut-offs tomorrow

This week's shut-downs:

Mon 13th Dec - Clonsilla, Clonee, Westmanstown, Littlepace, Castaheany and parts of Huntstown
    Tues 14th Dec - Mulhuddart, Blakestown, Blanchardstown and parts of Huntstown
    Wed 15th Dec - Sutton, Bayside, Baldoyle, Portmarnock and parts of Malahide
    Thur 16th Dec - Balbriggan and Balrothery
    Fri 17th Dec - Swords, Kinsealy, Cloghran and parts of Malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Mick Kennedy told me today (via a mass email) that
    ``Fingal County Council has informed me that it is necessary to step up the throttling back of water supplies, undertaken by all four Dublin local authorities in recent days since the onset of very cold weather conditions, to conserve reservoir levels.

The escalation will be necessary to prevent a serious depletion of water reserves and to control supply by matching use with the regional capacity to supply treated water.''

To me this seems to imply that the run on water supply is mostly caused by leaking mains ( who is running taps in the thaw to stop pipes freezing?)

And so it's mainly the CO.CO 's fault

• Advertisement

We were cut off again last night (up at the Castlemill end of Balbriggan) no warning either and by the list above we are due to get cut off again tomorrow :(

We were cut off again last night (up at the Castlemill end of Balbriggan) no warning either and by the list above we are due to get cut off again tomorrow :(

Did yours come back? Ours has been off since yesterday evening, we're in the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Did yours come back? Ours has been off since yesterday evening, we're in the same area.

I believe it's still gone and there is no sign of the Council sending a tanker either. :mad: It couldn't be something to do with the roadworks on Hamlet Lane could it?

Included in today's 12.30 update
    Balbriggan: There are intermittent problems with the pumps at the reservoir in Balbriggan. Repairs are being carried out and water will be restored as soon as possible.

Beasty wrote: »
    Included in today's 12.30 update

Intermittent my ass:o still no water.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

I'm in Malahide, near the Swords road, and the water's off. No comment on this on the council website, so I rang the council's water department, where they informed me that they're carrying out leakage tests for a couple of hours and the supply will be back afterwards.

Water was back in in our estate near Castlemills in Balbriggan at around 4pm. Hoping it doesn't get shut off again at 7!

Weekend shut-downs:

Sat 18th Dec - Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Clonsilla, Farmleigh, Porterstown, Hartstown, Huntstown, Blakestown and Blanchardstown.
    Sun 19th Dec - Swords, Feltrim, Drynam, and Skerries

Rota continues:

Mon 20th Dec - Lusk, Rush, Baldoyle
    Tue 21st Dec - Malahide, Portmarnock
    Wed 22nd Dec - Clonsilla, Clonee, Castaheany, Huntstown, Hansfield,Ongar,Mulhuddart, Blanchardstown, Barnhill, Westmanstown

• Advertisement

No further planned shut-downs over the Christmas period

Advertisement