Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Supplies to be cut off

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    No further planned shut-downs over the Christmas period

...which unfortunately they are taking literally, with shut-downs returning on Monday:

Mon 27th Dec - Swords, Feltrim, Drynam and Skerries
    Tues 28th Dec - Lusk, Rush and Baldoyle
    Wed 29th Dec - Malahide and Portmarnock
    Thurs 30th Dec - Balbriggan and Balrothery
    Sun 2nd Jan - Swords, Cloghran, Kinsealy, and parts of Malahide
    Mon 3rd Jan - Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Hartstown, Huntstown, Blanchardstown, Blakestown and Clonsilla
    Tues 4th Jan - Clonsilla, Clonee, Barnhill, Westmanstown, Castaheany, Huntstown, Hansfield, Ongar, Blanchardstown and Mulhuddart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Alice1

I am in Clonsilla - we have had no water since yesterday. I'm using bottled water to flush the loo! Anybody know how long this will go on? I can't get a reply from the out of hours number...:confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Alice1 wrote: »
    I am in Clonsilla - we have had no water since yesterday. I'm using bottled water to flush the loo! Anybody know how long this will go on? I can't get a reply from the out of hours number...:confused:
    Do you know if it affects a number of properties, or just your own? I guess there is a risk that you are suffering from frozen pipes. Do you have anything left in the storage tank?

You may get better information from the Dublin 15 thread

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

ive had no water all day, it must be frozen pipes cause none of my neighbours are affected. hell of a way to spend christmas day stuck in a tiny attic takin pipes apart to find the fault. :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

ive had no water all day, it must be frozen pipes cause none of my neighbours are affected. hell of a way to spend christmas day stuck in a tiny attic takin pipes apart to find the fault. :mad:

If your pipes are frozen and you have no water in the kitchen then more than likely you will have no water going to the attic, if you have no water in the kitchen it may be frozen outside the house. Hope this helps you narrow it down.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Do you know if it affects a number of properties, or just your own? I guess there is a risk that you are suffering from frozen pipes. Do you have anything left in the storage tank?

You may get better information from the Dublin 15 thread
    Thanks Beasty. We have no water in the storage tank - we have water in the expansion tank (for the heating). Lot of the neighbours seem to be away for the day. Will check the Dublin 15 thread now. Thanks again

fergal.b wrote: »
    If your pipes are frozen and you have no water in the kitchen then more than likely you will have no water going to the attic, if you have no water in the kitchen it may be frozen outside the house. Hope this helps you narrow it down.

i narrowed it down allright, its the main pipe from the path outside into the house. the mains pipe comes into the attic(bungelow) to a valve where its tee'd one going to the kitchen and the other to the coffin tank and heating. i need a blow torch to heat the path outside....should of asked santa for one :rolleyes:

Indie, before you heat up that blow torch, look outside for a wee shore marked "uisce" or "water". Very small, bout 6" square (or round) Lift the cover and pour some warm (not boiling) water down the shore. Repeat once. Then try your kitchen tap. Worked for us.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

The Council have just issued this notice at 3pm:

Due to unprecedented demand on water supply across the Dublin region (a combination of some burst pipes due to the thaw, and also an increased demand by householders/businesses), reservoir levels across the region are at critically low levels. In order to secure the reservoirs it is necessary to increase water restrictions across the region.

Water restriction times will now run from 6pm (Evening) to 10am (Following morning) for the next few days. This emergency measure will be reviewed as reservoir levels are monitored.

In addition to the changed hours, we have brought forward some areas by a day or two.

Monday 27th December - Swords, Feltrim, Drynam, Skerries, Rush, Lusk, Baldoyle and Howth Areas (Offington and Duncrraig)
    Tuesday 28th December - Malahide, Portmarnock, Balrothery and Balbriggan
    Wednesday 29th December - Dublin 15 areas and Swords Areas.

Householders should not run appliances such as washing machines/dishwashers during the hours the water restrictions will apply, and we urge everyone to conserve water. www.taptips.ie has plenty of useful suggestions to reduce water usage and to conserve water.

Emergency Telephone Number: Our emergency telephone number 01-8731415 experienced some technical problems earlier today, however this problem has now been fixed, and the number is working correctly.

For updates, please check our Water Emergency page at www.fingalcoco.ie or follow us on twitter.com/fingalcoco

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Here we go again.

The week before Christmas, we had no water for 5/7 days in Lanesborough, yet according to the council website we were only supposed to be without water 2/7.

Hopefully they can fix these burst pipes quickly, although knowing how well Fingal Co. Co. deal with repairs, it could take months.

Maybe this rain for the next few days will help.

• Advertisement

this cracks me up....ive seen atleast 2 burst pipes in rush yesterday pi$$in out water and nobody doing anything about it. if they sorted out their infastructure and did things propperly the first time this type of crap could be avoided......rant over:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Fingal Co Co have to be the biggest bunch of assholes going

Have been trying to get through to them all day yet they seem to have taken a decision not to answer the phones.

Water gone. Not in any of those areas. Why aren't there tankers or standpipes? :mad: ****ing shams they are. Absolute wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

water gone here without warning

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jleavey

Hi
    I live in Malahide on Old Yellow Walls Road. I called the council some days ago with regards to the water pressure issue ( even after water supplies had bbeen restored following a planned cut. I was told that the Malahide area would not be subjected to further cuts until after the new year and that adaquate water pressure should follow some hours later.

However, we have been without water for over two days now. No notification was given on Fingal's website and as such, I can only assume that there is a severe problem within the area.
    However there are no "manned" phone lines to find out when supplies might return. Neither is there a voice message to indicate when things should return to normal. All households in this area are completly dry and local business have had to close.

In terms of management, it's a complete disgrace!
    SOMEONE I FEEL, SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I informed Fingal council about a severe water leak last year, water was gushing up from a shore cover outside a shop for weeks.

They said they'd send someone to take a look.

A month or so later, the leak was still not fixed.
    I contacted them again and was told that they were having difficulties contacting the shop owner.

The shop is open daily, 7am - 11pm ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

a fairly simple thing to fix would be to list all areas to have their water cut off in some sort of alphabetical order, instead of the mishmash way they do it.

Also listing the two dates an overnight cut off is i.e. 27/28th from 7pm til 10 am

Also as the council was at pains to point out that their byelaws were to ensure that there would be 12 hours storage yet they're turning water off for 15 hours and no mention of standpipes or tankers to supply people affected.

Also I'd hope the 15 hour turn offs aren't just cos the council cant be bothered getting up to turn the water on at seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There's been a leak in our estate going back 2-3 years now. Never been looked at.

We had a leak in our part of the estate. Took them 3-4 weeks to come dig it up, stop the leak, and then not repair the area they dug up.

And yet, they are claiming that one resident has a leak (which no one can see) and that the council will take them to court unless they resolve the issue, despite the fact that the developement common area has not been handed over by the developer, so the developer is liable for fixing it.

The insanity in the council is mind boggling.

Easy for them to turn off our water, and yet they seem not to be too bothered fixing the faults reported to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

We still have water down at the harbour end of Rush, the gf says theres no water in the Lusk Village where she is, though.

We still have water down at the harbour end of Rush, the gf says theres no water in the Lusk Village where she is, though.

well its off up this end of rush.......and i only got my pipes defrosted yesterday :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For updates, please check our Water Emergency page at www.fingalcoco.ie or follow us on twitter.com/fingalcoco
    Hi Alan - any chance you could get them to actually update their twitter page with this information and not just their web site? Twitter is very useful for mobile feeds.
    Oh and credit to yourself - your own twitter is far better than theirs and much more informative!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

I'm up the hill in Balrothery but without water this evening...As long as it's just once or twice a week and only in the evening I don't think many people mind. It's when the water goes without warning and for longer that people really struggle. If they reduce the water pressure to the area like they did in January, then I'll be completely cut off again. Here's hoping it's sorted soon and good luck to everyone who's without.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

still off this morning in Lusk.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

this is absolutely ridiculous...... this year our water has been off SOOOO MANY FRIGGING TIMES!!!!! i live up at NW lusk halfway to the naul.... i think we run off the hollywood reservoir. we had reduced pressure yesterday morning and then it just stopped with no reason. we aren't listed under those areas to be switched off, nor are we listed to have a burst watermain!
    unfortunately we don't have a storage tank in the attic so when the water goes, it's gone! can't have friends over.. can't do much cooking... i feel so gross and dirty! i f***ing HATE fingal letting this happen all the time! f***ing sort it out!!! never lived anywhere where the water system was so bad. it's not the ****ing 50s !! sorry for rant.. just soooooooooo sick of this crap we have to endure all the time! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Fingal Coco won local authority of the year last year..the rest of them must be totally shocking...water due back on at 10 and 30 mins later still no water cus some lazy council git wants a lie on...a joke :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pcbscott

this is absolutely ridiculous...... this year our water has been off SOOOO MANY FRIGGING TIMES!!!!! i live up at NW lusk halfway to the naul.... i think we run off the hollywood reservoir. we had reduced pressure yesterday morning and then it just stopped with no reason. we aren't listed under those areas to be switched off, nor are we listed to have a burst watermain!
    unfortunately we don't have a storage tank in the attic so when the water goes, it's gone! can't have friends over.. can't do much cooking... i feel so gross and dirty! i f***ing HATE fingal letting this happen all the time! f***ing sort it out!!! never lived anywhere where the water system was so bad. it's not the ****ing 50s !! sorry for rant.. just soooooooooo sick of this crap we have to endure all the time! :mad:

Im with you on that. Im in dublin 8 here and if you include the shambles that went on last January we are now entering our 5th possibly 6th week of this year with no evening water. We all work completely different hours so its always an inconvenience. No letter from our council to say whats up. No indication of when this will stop. Its alright for us in our mid 20's with internet access who can research whats going on, but what does out 85 year old neighbor do??

Our water tank leaves us with about 2 flushes, and then its empty resulting in airlock and expensive plummer call out fees. So we actually cant use it because we found out the hard way.

Its 20****ing10 sort it out Dublin City Council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I'm reading this thread and wondering am I living in a different world:confused::confused:

I'm in Rush with no water problems.At all.Not even a noticeable pressure reduction.Ditto for relatives in Lusk (old Orlynn Park)

As for the 2 burst water mains in the middle of Rush, FCC were out at about 8pm on Stephen's night fixing them.We passed them about 12.30am on our way home and they had moved on to fix the one at the Xtra Vision.

If I was you, I'd be on the phone to them 24/7. Keep ringing and ringing and ringing.Become a thorn in their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bathy

|I'm in Lusk Village also no water

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To those of you who are complaining about the service provided by FCC - have you contacted FCC either directly or via your elected representatives to register your complaint & ask what is being done to rectify the situation? Effing & blinding on boards.ie will not sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i have contacted the council before and they couldn't give a toss!

even last time it was off when there was a tanker in the naul the lads running it hadn't a notion what was going on - there's no communication between staff at all!

latest update includes my area :rolleyes:

Current Water Disruptions: Tuesday 28th December at 11am
    Naul, Walshestown, Ballyboghil, Balrothery and surrounding areas: The reservoirs at Hollywood and Palmerstown are at critically low levels and as a result customers in these areas will have no water until the reservoir levels increase again.
    Garristown: There is a mechanical problem with the pumps at the reservoir. The pumps are being repaired and it is hoped to have the water restored to the area by late afternoon.
    Loughshinny: There are ongoing problems with the water supply in the Loughshinny area which we are trying to resolve.
    Malahide: There is a problem with the water network in the Yellow Walls Road / Chalfont area of Malahide which we are trying to resolve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Anyone have any idea why my house would be getting water in the kitchen but not filling up the tank in the attic, Im in Marino in D3, water pressure was low but its picked up a good bit now.

Advertisement