Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Supplies to be cut off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That sounds more of a plumbing problem than a supply issue.
    Try the Plumbing & Heating forum (under Rec - DIY) for further advice. This thread relates to water supply in the North County. For information on supply issues in your area check the Dublin City forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Current Water Disruptions: Tuesday 28th December at 3pm
    We have repaired eight watermain leaks over the past two days, however, we are experiencing alot of problems across the network which our staff are dealing with on a daily basis. The water network is more prone to leaks as temperatures rise after the severe cold weather and we will continue to repair leaks as they occur.

Naul, Walshestown, Ballyboghil, Balrothery and surrounding areas: The reservoirs at Hollywood and Palmerstown are at critically low levels and as a result customers in these areas will have no water until the reservoir levels increase again which is likely to be around 12 noon tomorrow at the earliest.

Garristown: There is a mechanical problem with the pumps at the reservoir. The pumps are being repaired and it is hoped to have the water restored to the area by late afternoon but at severely reduced pressure.

Loughshinny: a burst watermain has been located in the Loughshinny area. Repairs will be carried out and it is hoped to have water restored by late this evening.

Water Tanker Locations: Static water tankers will be put in place this afternoon at the following locations: Naul Village and at the Grand Hotel in Malahide

Water Restrictions
    Due to an unprecedented demand on water supply in the Dublin Region, reservoirs across the region are at critical levels. Because of this increase in demand, water supply will be restricted across the coming days in order to secure the reservoirs.

During the restricted periods there should be adequate supplies in your household water tank for very moderate household use. Please do not run appliances such as washing machines and diswashers during the restricted periods. We urge everyone across the county to conserve water during this period - go to www.taptips.ie for ideas on how to conserve water.

RESTRICTED HOURS WILL RUN FROM 6pm TO 12 NOON ON THE FOLLOWING DAY, ON THE DAYS LISTED BELOW. THIS LIST WILL BE REVIEWED REGULARLY.

Monday 27th December

Swords, Feltrim, Drynam, Skerries, Lusk, Rush, Baldoyle and Howth Areas (Offington and Duncarraig).

Tuesday 28th December

Malahide/Portmarnock: 2pm to 12 noon (time brought forward to 2pm as reservoir is almost empty)

Balbriggan and Balrothery: 6pm to 12 noon

Ongar, Littlepace, Church Road, and Huntstown:
    6pm to 12 noon

Wednesday 29th December

Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Lohunda O'Neill's Corner: 6pm to 12 noon

Swords and Santry: 6pm to 12 noon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Seriously this is bloody joke. Just had the heaviest snow on record for a month and now we are facing water restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just a shame that the information provided isn't accurate. :mad:

We've no water again. For every time water is cut off, we're cut off in Lanesborough, and it's never in rotation, it's taken off every time water is turned off.

And calling the council is a waste of time - long long hold and then they've no information. All the information is on the website - yeah, right. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

We have repaired eight watermain leaks over the past two days, however, we are experiencing alot of problems across the network which our staff are dealing with on a daily basis. The water network is more prone to leaks as temperatures rise after the severe cold weather and we will continue to repair leaks as they occur.

Naul, Walshestown, Ballyboghil, Balrothery and surrounding areas: The reservoirs at Hollywood and Palmerstown are at critically low levels and as a result customers in these areas will have no water until the reservoir levels increase again which is likely to be around 12 noon tomorrow at the earliest.

Garristown: There is a mechanical problem with the pumps at the reservoir. The pumps are being repaired and it is hoped to have the water restored to the area by late afternoon but at severely reduced pressure.

Loughshinny: a burst watermain has been located in the Loughshinny area. Repairs will be carried out and it is hoped to have water restored by late this evening.

Water Tanker Locations: Static water tankers will be put in place this afternoon at the following locations: Naul Village and at the Grand Hotel in Malahide

Water Restrictions
    Due to an unprecedented demand on water supply in the Dublin Region, reservoirs across the region are at critical levels. Because of this increase in demand, water supply will be restricted across the coming days in order to secure the reservoirs.

During the restricted periods there should be adequate supplies in your household water tank for very moderate household use. Please do not run appliances such as washing machines and diswashers during the restricted periods. We urge everyone across the county to conserve water during this period - go to www.taptips.ie for ideas on how to conserve water.

RESTRICTED HOURS WILL RUN FROM 6pm TO 12 NOON ON THE FOLLOWING DAY, ON THE DAYS LISTED BELOW. THIS LIST WILL BE REVIEWED REGULARLY.

Monday 27th December

Swords, Feltrim, Drynam, Skerries, Lusk, Rush, Baldoyle and Howth Areas (Offington and Duncarraig).

Tuesday 28th December

Malahide/Portmarnock: 2pm to 12 noon (time brought forward to 2pm as reservoir is almost empty)

Balbriggan and Balrothery: 6pm to 12 noon

Ongar, Littlepace, Church Road, and Huntstown:
    6pm to 12 noon

Wednesday 29th December

Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Lohunda O'Neill's Corner: 6pm to 12 noon

Swords and Santry: 6pm to 12 noon

meaningless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lusk off again without warning? A joke :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

6pm to 12 noon???, absolutely ridiculous.

And yet we still have water near Castlemills in Balbriggan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Lusk off again without warning? A joke :mad:

Rang the council and they denied it, unless I got all my neighbours to corroborate it. :(

Rang the council and they denied it, unless I got all my neighbours to corroborate it. :(

Course they deny it...muppets...a friend of mine told me some new guy over the water section hasn't a clue which is why we've had so many problems over the last year or 2 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Same as you two, whatever's going on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Same as. I'm lusk also with no water. Was just getting a glass to bring to bed and now I is thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

no water in donaghmede....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

48hrs with no water and counting :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Still no water let alone reduced pressure. No info forthcoming from co co the clown either and they intend to charge for water pmsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

We got water for a few hours during the day yesterday (about 5) but then it went again. It hasn't come back yet. I rang the council requested they set a tap up in the village. No one would have to man it and it would mean we could flush the loo... sigh... They were lovely and the woman i spoke to had to cancel her time off to come back in because of the water emergency but this stinks (or maybe that's just me, hahahahha).

eh i dunno wrote: »
    some new guy over the water section hasn't a clue which is why we've had so many problems over the last year or 2 :mad:
    The problem with FCC is this (as I have been told by a contractor who is subbed to FCC).
    The council have a policy of moving engineers around after a couple of years (2?).
    This effectivley means that when the new boy comes in he can be really shooting in the dark about where pipes are layed, what problems arose when laying etc etc.If the 'old' engineer does not keep detailed notes then their replacement can be left up the creek without a paddle ( or in this case left in Fingal without water).
    To back this up I was told this story by a seperate individual:
    Last year when the pipes were being layed all the way up the old N1 to the 5 roads and across Hedgestown and up to Palmerstown reservoir.
    Basically long story short; One of the chiefs on the project called into a house and asked the occupant 'Do you know where your pipes lead to/from?'
    Basically where the pipes were marked on the map the chief had were simply not there!!! Apperantly It took them several days to locate the pipes and they had been diverted through a field but no record of the change had been recorded.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This morning's update
    Current Water Disruptions: Wednesday 29th December at 11.30am
    We have repaired nine watermain leaks over the past three days, however, we are experiencing alot of problems across the network which our staff are dealing with on a daily basis. The water network is more prone to leaks as temperatures rise after the severe cold weather and we will continue to repair leaks as they occur.
    Naul, Walshestown, Ballyboghil, and Balrothery: We are still trying to secure the water supply in the reservoirs that serve these areas and as a result customers will have no water until the reservoir levels increase again.
    Balbriggan Area: Jordanstown Reservoir is critically low at present and as a result we have had to restrict the water supply to the Balbriggan area from 10am this morning to 10am tomorrow morning(30th).
    Garristown Area: We are still trying to secure the water supply in the reservoir following the mechanical fault with the pumps yesterday. We hope to have water restored to the area by late afternoon or early evening.
    Water Tanker Locations: Static water tankers are in place at the following locations: Naul Village, Grand Hotel in Malahide and at Casana Estate in Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I don't see Donabate & Portrane mentioned in any of the releases. Anyone know why this is or what area we are lumped in with?

Beasty wrote: »

These "updates" tend to be very very inaccurate, almost to the point where they're useless.

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    The problem with FCC is this (as I have been told by a contractor who is subbed to FCC).
    The council have a policy of moving engineers around after a couple of years (2?).
    This effectivley means that when the new boy comes in he can be really shooting in the dark about where pipes are layed, what problems arose when laying etc etc.If the 'old' engineer does not keep detailed notes then their replacement can be left up the creek without a paddle ( or in this case left in Fingal without water).
    To back this up I was told this story by a seperate individual:
    Last year when the pipes were being layed all the way up the old N1 to the 5 roads and across Hedgestown and up to Palmerstown reservoir.
    Basically long story short; One of the chiefs on the project called into a house and asked the occupant 'Do you know where your pipes lead to/from?'

Basically where the pipes were marked on the map the chief had were simply not there!!! Apperantly It took them several days to locate the pipes and they had been diverted through a field but no record of the change had been recorded.

Sounds about right. And the new engineer is clueless from what i've heard :D No one minds the water going off once were given notice. Would hate to be running a business like a pub/cafe with water getting cut off without notice :mad:

"A Standpipe will be up in Balrothery later and details of its location will be provided later this afternoon."

from the Fingal website. Better than nothing :-D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Paulw wrote: »
    These "updates" tend to be very very inaccurate, almost to the point where they're useless.

I am guessing they are accurate, but obviously incomplete.

Clearly it's not just the Dublin area that is suffering now, and it does beg a question about the whole infrastructure (or lack thereof). It seems crazy that we are all reliant on local supplies which can be cut-off at any time because of local problems. Unfortunately I am guessing there will be no resource available to provide a proper solution, but at the very least the local authority should be able to properly communicate comprehensive (as well as accurate) information to the people who are paying them for these "services"

Of course, it's not the local councillors who are directly responsible for water supplies, but they have a wider responsibility for putting in place and overseeing the infrastructure. I would encourage anyone who has faced particular issues to lobby their representatives to try to get them to put pressure on those who are directly responsible for what can best be described as a fiasco

Am I right in saying that ,according to that update, that Balrothery is without water until further notice!?!

bcmf wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that ,according to that update, that Balrothery is without water until further notice!?!

I wouldn't assume you'll get any "further notice", but I think you can safely assume they have no idea when it will be back on! I think your best bet is a few rain dances;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

we just went up to the naul - no tanker there. drove down to balrothery.... couldn't see anything there. where is the stand pipe meant to be located at in balrothery?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Last time it was at the hairdressers across from the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Garristown Area: We are still trying to secure the water supply in the reservoir following the mechanical fault with the pumps yesterday. We hope to have water restored to the area by late afternoon or early evening.
    As yet no water still. On the plus side the water table is about a foot under the soil out the back :rolleyes:

I went down to Balrothery Village to where the tap was before. no tap...i'm guessing if we get one, it won't be today....there's some of my optimism gone...some parts of Balrothery seem to have low pressure water but seems (at a guess) to depend on how high up the hill you live...

• Advertisement

We had water today for approx 90 min.

No info at all of use on the Fingal Co Co website to inform residents of these facts.

Advertisement