Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Supplies to be cut off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

sdonn wrote: »
    Remember that your attic tanks have 12hrs storage, so if you turn on a tap you're gonna get water even if supply was turned off.

Thank you but I am aware of this, I've been checking my cold tap downstairs which indicates if my water has been turned on or off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

I was due to have friends over last night but when I saw that our water was due to go, I canceled. In the end i had water. Beginning to wonder if many of the areas that were due to be cut, actually had their water turned off for the night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

The water in Swords seems to be fine the last couple of days. I'd say it might run out soon judging by the amount of washes upstairs have put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Typical good organisation in Fingal -

There is a water tanker in Lanesborough. Why? I honestly don't know, since we have water in the taps (mains water) still.

There is also no info on the Fingal website to say that there is a tanker in the area, so unless you see the tanker, you wouldn't know about it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

3pm update

Next round of "official" cut-offs
    Monday 3rd to Tuesday 4th Jan - 6pm to 7am
    Swords, Kinsealy, Skerries, Lusk, Rush, Loughshinny, and Baldoyle
    Tuesday 4th to Wednesday 5th Jan - 6pm to 7am
    Malahide, Portmarnock, Balbriggan, Bremore, Balrothery, Clonsilla, Porterstown, Clonee, Barnhill, Westmanstown, Lucan, Llittlepace, Castaheany, Huntstown, Hansfield/Ongar, Mulhuddart, Blanchardstown, Kinsealy, and Baldoyle
    Wednesday 5th to Thursday 6th Jan - 6pm to 7am
    Swords, Cloghran/Baskin, Mulhuddart, Castleknock, Farmleigh, Blanchardstown, Carpenterstown, Huntstown, Hartstown, Blakestown, and Clonsilla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

water is still on in Lusk 3hrs after it's supposed to be off

:confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

So water was off yesterday 6pm-12am this morning in Swords, and supposed to off again from 6pm to 12am tonight/tomorrow?
    Nice bit of warning, plus their spreadsheet only goes up to last nights round of cut offs.
    Absolutely useless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Same as you, Carawaystick.
    Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Just because the waters been turned off doesnt mean youll be without it. Have a stroll on up into your attic and look into the tank. Thats where the water thats coming out of your taps is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

althought there is water in the tanks and your immersion will be full too......

its not advisable to empty those tanks ....

chances are the is dirt at the bottom of it that you will drag into the system and also if you have an old metal tank emptying that metal tank may dmage it.

i would suggest fill up the bath when the water is on of course) and use one toilet in the house. and flush the toilet using water from the bath.

than use your tank water sparingly for waht ever else you need.

• Advertisement

I wasnt suggesting emptying the tank. Having been up into the attic to check mine out I wouldnt reccommend anyone go using that water too much.. the filth of the tank is unreal.

Although mine is plastic :cool:

And yeah, using a basin of water taken from the bath to flush the toilet is a good idea. Nothing quite like manually flushing your own toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is best to use the saved water to top up the cistern rather than flushing with a basin/bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Just because the waters been turned off doesnt mean youll be without it. Have a stroll on up into your attic and look into the tank. Thats where the water thats coming out of your taps is coming from.

How does the water get back past the ballcock and down to my cold tap in my kitchen?
    As that's connected to the mains, that is what I use to see if the waters on or off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

How does the water get back past the ballcock and down to my cold tap in my kitchen?
    As that's connected to the mains, that is what I use to see if the waters on or off.

In general, it doesn't. Water goes (via your kitchen cold tap) up to your tank.

Your bathroom would tend to take cold water from the tank, and not be via the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Water was supposed to be off in Balbriggan last night. While the pressure was reduced, I don't think it actually went off. Thanks again, Fingal CoCo and that work of fiction you call a website.

blastman wrote: »
    Water was supposed to be off in Balbriggan last night. While the pressure was reduced, I don't think it actually went off. Thanks again, Fingal CoCo and that work of fiction you call a website.

Ours went off (also Balbriggan) and came back around 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

blastman wrote: »

are you actually complaing that your water did not get turned off? :confused:

information posted i would imagine would be worst case scenario.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Martron wrote: »
    are you actually complaing that your water did not get turned off?

I'd definitely be keeping my head down if my water wasn't turned off - otherwise the stop-cock turners may be tempted to pay a special visit ...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

No, I'm complaining about the fairy stories that pass for information bulletins on a local government website. If the information was at least reasonably accurate, it helps planning for when the water does actually go off.

It's a strange complaint to have, but we too were anxious all weekend, because the water was supposed to go off on Saturday, and didn't, and then it was anyone's guess as to whether it might just get shut off another date without us being informed beforehand. Not having water is a pain, but not knowing when we wont have it is even more annoying!

• Advertisement

Next few days cut-offs
    Thursday 6th Jan : 7pm to 7am(Fri) Swords, Kinsealy(part), Skerries, Lusk, Rush, Loughshinny, and Baldoyle

Friday 7th Jan : 7pm to 9am(Sat) Malahide, Portmarnock, Balbriggan, Bremore, Balrothery, Clonsilla, Porterstown, Clonee, Barnhill, Westmanstown, Lucan, Littlepace, Castaheany, Huntstown, Hansfield/Ongar, Mulhuddart, Blanchardstown, and Kinsealy(part)

Saturday 8th Jan : 7pm to 10am(Sun) Swords, Cloghran/Baskin, Mulhuddart, Castleknock, Farmleigh, Blanchardstown, Carpenterstown, Huntstown(part), Hartstown, Blakestown, and Clonsilla

Sunday 9th Jan : 7pm to 7am(Mon) Swords, Kinsealy(part), Skerries, Lusk, Rush, Loughshinny, and Baldoyle

Monday 10th Jan : 7pm to 7am(Tue) Malahide, Portmarnock, Balbriggan, Bremore, Balrothery, Clonsilla, Porterstown, Clonee, Barnhill, Westmanstown, Lucan, Littlepace, Castaheany, Huntstown(part), Hansfield/Ongar, Mulhuddart, Blanchardstown, and Kinsealy(part)

Tuesday 11th Jan : 7pm to 7am(Wed) Swords, Cloghran/Baskin, Mulhuddart, Castleknock, Farmleigh, Blanchardstown, Carpenterstown, Huntstown(part), Hartstown, Blakestown, and Clonsilla

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Beasty wrote: »

and my specific area still not referred to fingal cc are really special

When is this supposed to come to an end?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sometime next week. Depending on weather conditions and volume of leaks still present in the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Ours went of last night, fair enough but tonight its very milky looking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Ours went of last night, fair enough but tonight its very milky looking :(

That's only air bubbles in the water, completely harmless..ironically if Noah was in NCD right now he would be building an ark I reckon with the amount of rainfall today!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 notnigella

I received this information by e-mail circular from Councillor Alan Farrell. I'm posting it here in case anyone is interested in Fingal County Council's response to the water crisis:

"Please note that I have requested that Fingal County Council hold a special meeting on January 25th at 345pm to discuss the water crisis in detail. The County Manager, Mr. David O’Connor has agreed to this request and will present detailed information on water shortages, the Council’s response and their communication.

All Council meetings are webcast here: http://www.fingalcoco.public-i.tv/core/"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Well, no water here in River Valley at the minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

From Fingals Website
    Tuesday 11th Jan : 7pm to 7am(Wed) - See Area 3 on link at bottom of page
    Swords, Cloghran/Baskin, Mulhuddart, Castleknock, Farmleigh, Blanchardstown, Carpenterstown, Huntstown(part), Hartstown, Blakestown, Clonsilla, Coolmine and Phoenix Park Racecourse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We've no water and are in Swords and our mains plumbed heating has gone on the blink, hopefully it will work tomorrow.

Advertisement