Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend headphones for running

Options
  • 07-12-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Couldn't find a recent thread on this. Apologies if one does exist (if so the mods can feel free to merge)

Looking for recommendations for a pair of earphones which I'll be using for running with an iPhone. Sound quality, durability and comfort are all important factors.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Lemag wrote: »
    Hi there,

Couldn't find a recent thread on this. Apologies if one does exist (if so the mods can feel free to merge)

There's been a growing anti-headphone Nazi culture building here, that may be the reason for your limited search results. I blame the mods.

Back in the premod days when I used to be fun, the Sennheiser PMX 70 Sport were the best for dealing with with running motion during training, durable, you don't feel you're wearing them, and a very good sound.

(Just don't were them in races;))

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I prefer the hook-over-the-ear ear-pad jobbies, rather than the noise isolating varieties, as I do a lot of my training runs on quiet backroads and need to hear cars approaching from the rear. Just bought a new pair of Sony's that seem to do a good job. MDR-Q22.

490340-999.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Those sennheiser earphones are pretty much what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi folks

Similar to previous threads I am in search of a pair of "hook over the ear" earphones that are compatible with iPhones, and include a mic so that you can take a call without having to put the phone to your ear / mouth.

Like others I'm not interested in noise isolating ones as I want to hear other noises around me too.

Any models I have seen are really expensive (€60 upwards). Can anyone recommend a pair less than this price?

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I don't like listening to music when running as I find it results in me ignoring form, running heavier and ultimately takes me longer to recover from.

That being said I always cycle with earphones and I have occasionally run with them. And I have found entry level Sennheiser ear buds ideal - good qulity sound, stay in your ears and a nice long cable.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    I don't like listening to music when running as I find it results in me ignoring form, running heavier and ultimately takes me longer to recover from.

That being said I always cycle with earphones and I have occasionally run with them. And I have found entry level Sennheiser ear buds ideal - good qulity sound, stay in your ears and a nice long cable.

do they have a mic?

PGL wrote: »
    do they have a mic?

No - but I wish they did.

However I think that a balance between features and durability is required. Things get wet when training. If they cannot take water then they are no good really!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hi folks

Similar to previous threads I am in search of a pair of "hook over the ear" earphones that are compatible with iPhones, and include a mic so that you can take a call without having to put the phone to your ear / mouth.

Like others I'm not interested in noise isolating ones as I want to hear other noises around me too.

Any models I have seen are really expensive (€60 upwards). Can anyone recommend a pair less than this price?

Many thanks!

You could buy a really cheap set of over the ear phones and use the ear clamps on the earphones from your phone. That way you can use the mic too.

I'd reckon finding compatible earphones with a mic suitable for running could be expensive relative to regular earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

As part of my job I test nearly all bluetooth headsets that you get say on amazon so I am very picky on what I use for comfort with good audio quality. I use this and find them great http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Ultimate+Ears+350&x=0&y=0

• Advertisement

Prob not the safest to wear them on the bike too. No recovery from death like. I do agree about the running and pounding the pavement with music blaring. Found my landing improved lots when I dumped the earphones for a few months.

rom wrote: »
    Prob not the safest to wear them on the bike too. No recovery from death like. I do agree about the running and pounding the pavement with music blaring. Found my landing improved lots when I dumped the earphones for a few months.

If you are relying on earing to know what is around you you aren't paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

I use these, they are also waterproof and now come with a mic, the one's I have don't :( but they have obviously improved them. I actually washed these in the washing machine with no I'll effects :).

Like Tunney I cycle with them, well definitely long cycles but don't run with them, I like to hear my breathing and just find it harder to concentrate. Cycling with ear phones in is safe but only if (a) you are experienced and (b) if you are not stupid. Keep as left as possible, before making any moves right have a look behind and signal. That's my take anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

I bought the Sennheiser Adidas PMX680i from here
    Absolutely love them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bought these about 18 months ago and find them great:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-AS20J-Active-Series-Headphones/dp/B00165R8XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343181469&sr=8-1

They've been through the washing machine, dropped and stood on I don't know how many times, and they still work fine.

No mic or owt like that but for just over £10 you can't go wrong.

If you are relying on earing to know what is around you you aren't paying attention.

True but now I see people driving wearing them ??? btw my wife has never had a pair of earbuds work as they always fall out. The ones above come with about 4/5 sizes of inserts so you can have the right size for your ears. That is what the problem is with most of them.

pajodublin wrote: »
    Absolutely love them

Hi pajodublin

They look the business. However I am not having an joy trying to buy them off the headphone hub website - its asking me to enter a Post Code - however I live in Co. Dublin where a post code does not exist. I can't send them an email as its asks for a CATCHYA code which does not appear on the page... Also there is no phone number listed on the website. I googled a telephone number and found a mobile number which is going straight through to voicemail.

Did you buy these off the headphone hub website?

cheers

PGL

I would just think as you are running against the traffic and cycling with then you need to hear more on a bike I would think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭millymash12

Absolutely love them

Hi pajodublin

They look the business. However I am not having an joy trying to buy them off the headphone hub website - its asking me to enter a Post Code - however I live in Co. Dublin where a post code does not exist. I can't send them an email as its asks for a CATCHYA code which does not appear on the page... Also there is no phone number listed on the website. I googled a telephone number and found a mobile number which is going straight through to voicemail.

Did you buy these off the headphone hub website?

cheers

PGL

Hi pgl

Maybe try again. I just bought a set just there and had no problems. Checked out with PayPal using my visa card. They dont except laser. Got email confirming order and tracking number and shud be delivered Wednesday

Hi pgl

Maybe try again. I just bought a set just there and had no problems. Checked out with PayPal using my visa card. They dont except laser. Got email confirming order and tracking number and shud be delivered Wednesday

hi millymash

no, i'm still not even getting to the stage where I enter payment details - the postcode seems to be the stumbling point for me - have tried it using 2 different web browsers with the same outcome.....

EDIT: Ignore my post above - I was able to successfully place order via Safari on my iPhone - I must be having security issues on my laptop computer.....

• Advertisement

Absolutely love them

Hi folks

I picked up a set of these last week. I was initially really impressed with them. However for some reason, the mic has stopped working, which means voice control doesn't work. It has to be the mic, because when I disconnect the headset, voice control works fine.

I can't seem to find a way to increase the volume on the mic.

Am I doing something stupid or has the mic packed it in only after one week, and only a handful of times using it......

Can anyone put me straight?

PS: I have an iPhone 4.

cheers!

Advertisement