Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions...sound insulation, creeking floorboards

• 07-12-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My house seems to have poor sound insulation between downstairs and upstairs. In the bedrooms upstairs I have standard underlay and carpet on top.
    The radio in the kitchen below can be heard clearly from the bedroom above.

Can anything be done to improve the sound insulation?

Secondly, the same room has developed some creeky floorboards. Would it be possible to screw these down instead of them being nailed. They would have to come up anyway if I was to fit insulation as per the first question.

Thanks,
    Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I recall seeing an old DIY book where sand was suggested between floors for acoustic value. Probably when times were tighter, but the way things are going.

I imagine there are companies which will do this, and many more fantastic products to suit. problem is taking up your floorboards. If you like carpets then ok, but there would undoubtedly be a lot of disruption if you're to get it 100%, bearing in mind wiring and piping routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 EosEnergy

Fill it with sand IF YOU WANT THE CEILING TO FALL DOWN.:eek:

Fill it with cellulose - it can be blown in, so you wouldn't have to lift all the floorboards - maybe one or two at either side of the rooms as there are most likely bridging noggins in there.

This provides acoustic and heat insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Collins complete DIY! Amazing isn't it? Sand pugging they called it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

EosEnergy wrote: »
    Fill it with sand IF YOU WANT THE CEILING TO FALL DOWN.:eek:

Fill it with cellulose - it can be blown in, so you wouldn't have to lift all the floorboards - maybe one or two at either side of the rooms as there are most likely bridging noggins in there.

This provides acoustic and heat insulation.

And what about wires,alarm cable,fire alarm cable and Light fittings/terminals being covered by this blown insulation?????:confused:

Is that fire safe with regards covering cables and light sources and legit with regards home insurance purposes???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

we got insulation borads from B AND Q, We put them down to even up the floor boards and to stop the noise of the 8 year old playiing withher dinasours.Works fine HTH,CATHY

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Can I recommend a large roll of cork board on your floor above,and then your underlay and carpet.

Works a treat for sound insulation,and not too dear to do it either.

Also applying a layer of cork board under plasterboard is a brilliant way of sound insulation,that doesnt cost a fortune to do.

Works a treat,trust me.:D

Advertisement