Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer hamper

• 07-12-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about putting together a small beer hamper (probably around 25 euro worth) as part of a present. It's for part of a Kris Kindle type thing so I don't know exactly who'll get it, which makes it slightly harder to pick the beers but so far I've been think of adding

O'Hara's Red
    O'Hara's IPA
    Delirium Tremens
    Leffe Blonde
    Tyskie
    Old Speckled Hen
    Gulden Draak

I'm generally trying to avoid the stronger (more than 6%) beers but don't mind adding a couple.

I've seen that drinkstore do a hamper and I'd say that places like Redmonds would have no problem helping put one together but I'd like to try make my own (with help). So what do others here think would be good suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Maybe try it from a different angle and put one from each country, then get the liqour store to place it into an appropriate sized hamper. I did it a while ago for a birthday present for a customer and it went down a treat.
    I had 12 beers in it while I cant remember which specific ones it was mostly IPA's as they seem easier on the "regular" beer drinkers tastebuds.

Any off licence that grumbles if you ask them to do that isnt worth spending your money in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Excellent choices, I'd love it! But I presume its for a bunch of your enlightened friends and not for some idiot who thinks beer is only Carlsberg/Heineken/Budweiser/Coors etc. In the last job I was in I organised a night out in Porterhouse Temple Bar at Christmas and around two thirds moaned all night that they couldn't buy Budweiser or Heineken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Good idea, I did it for my dad for Christmas last year. Tried to put in as many different styles/flavours as I could:

Paulaner
    Spaten Oktoberfest
    Zywiec
    Asahi
    Speckled Hen
    Boags
    O'Hara's IPA
    Innis + Gunn East India IPA
    Old Tom
    Fullers Honey Dew
    and I think a few others I can't remember now, definitely one of the Svyturys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

some idiot who thinks beer is only Carlsberg/Heineken/Budweiser/Coors etc.
    it was mostly IPA's as they seem easier on the "regular" beer drinkers tastebuds.
    This would be the problem, I would like to try any of those beers mentioned, but only know a few people who would appreciate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

matrim wrote: »
    I've been thinking about putting together a small beer hamper (probably around 25 euro worth) as part of a present. It's for part of a Kris Kindle type thing so I don't know exactly who'll get it, which makes it slightly harder to pick the beers but so far I've been think of adding

O'Hara's Red
    O'Hara's IPA
    Delirium Tremens 8.5
    Leffe Blonde
    Tyskie
    Old Speckled Hen
    Gulden Draak 10.5

I'm generally trying to avoid the stronger (more than 6%) beers but don't mind adding a couple.
    Jaysus Gulden Draak is certainly up there in the "strong" category. Nice beer though.
    Personally I'd drop the tyskie and the OSH and the OH Red, none of them float my boat. Love the DT and the Leffe, but would up it to Leffe Brown or Tripel. Would throw in Goose Island IPA or one of the Dogfish Heads or BigDaddys IPAs instead as a contrast to OH IPA.
    Very partial to LaChouffe or McChouffe as another Belgian. Stick in a brewdog something - 5am Saint maybe, or Zeitgeist. Also one of the American Weiss beers, or a Schnieder HopfenWeiss, gorgeous. Another nice Irish option is Dungarvans Black Rock or Helvick Gold, or one of the Whitewaters e.g. Clotworthy Dobbin.
    In fact you could even just do a showcase of the best of Irish:

Porterhouse Red & Hophead
    OHaras IPA
    Dungarvan Black Rock & Helvick Gold
    Clanconnell Stout
    Headless Dog
    Whitewater Clothworthy Dobbin

There are plenty of others too from the above breweries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

kenmc wrote: »
    Jaysus Gulden Draak is certainly up there in the "strong" category. Nice beer though.
    Personally I'd drop the tyskie and the OSH and the OH Red, none of them float my boat. Love the DT and the Leffe, but would up it to Leffe Brown or Tripel. Would throw in Goose Island IPA or one of the Dogfish Heads or BigDaddys IPAs instead as a contrast to OH IPA.
    Very partial to LaChouffe or McChouffe as another Belgian. Stick in a brewdog something - 5am Saint maybe, or Zeitgeist. Also one of the American Weiss beers, or a Schnieder HopfenWeiss, gorgeous. Another nice Irish option is Dungarvans Black Rock or Helvick Gold, or one of the Whitewaters e.g. Clotworthy Dobbin.
    In fact you could even just do a showcase of the best of Irish:

Porterhouse Red & Hophead
    OHaras IPA
    Dungarvan Black Rock & Helvick Gold
    Clanconnell Stout
    Headless Dog
    Whitewater Clothworthy Dobbin

There are plenty of others too from the above breweries.

The Gulden Draak and Delirium Tremens are strong but I think they are both superb examples of beer so well worth putting in.

The Tyskie and OSH (and maybe even Leffe Blonde) are there because I see them as the more accessible beers that can be easily gotten afterwards if they are liked (although I may drop the Tyskie as it's well known to most of the guys who might get the hamper).

The O'Hara's Red is being included because some would be Smithwicks drinkers so I know would like a red ale and for me the O'Hara's is one of the best (if not the best) examples of this I've had. I'd almost be half tempted to throw in a Smithwicks and get them to do a taste comparison

A good few of the one's you've mentioned I wouldn't be familiar with especially the IPA's but I'm willing to look into adding them with a quick sample for myself too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

This is a hamper my Wife did up for me last year ... :cool:

She went over board and could not fit them all in the basket and also sourced my 2 Duvel Glasses plus 2 tall Warfteiner glasses.

Beers.jpg

Your idea is a nice one ... but if your not sure who you are buying for don't go over board on fancy beers. Just get as many decent beers as you can that you can find on special and bung them into a basket which can be bought in a DIY chain like Atlantic or Woodies. GOod idea and best of luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Is your wife for sale? :p

I'd be delighted with an "Irish" hamper personally but a mix of European beers would be nice too. If it's for a Kris Kindle though you might be best to stick to more "mainstream" styles. Throw in some Leffe, Hoegaarden, a nice weiss beer, some decent lagers and maybe an O'Hara's stout. I know if I was doing a case for most of my friends, any red ales, IPA's or particularly hoppy beers would be wasted on them. Is there a chance it will be a girl getting your present?

Advertisement