Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on acl recovery

Options
  • 07-12-2010 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all looking for some advice. I went for an acl reconstrution April 2010, i got an infection after the op and so was back in hosp for another 3 weeks after the op. its now 6 months later and my knee is still very stiff and painful, i am doing the required gym work and visting physio every two to three weeks, however due to extreme pain, swelling and stiffness I feel i am not progressing in recovery and isokinetic results have shown that. I am quiet an active person and now getting extremely frustrated as not looking like i will get back into my sport for the new season, which means its another year on the sideline. Anyone else who has experienced this with the infection as a complication I would love to hear how you got on?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hello and welcome to boards.

I cannot say i have had the same problems, but i can relate on the general topic.

A year and a half ago after 5 years of suffering i was diagnosed with a tumor on my knee. As upsetting as this was i felt a wave of relief that it was finally named and could be treated. I went for the surgery to remove it and after 4 months was still having problems.

A visit to a new consultant informed me that the surgery was non-vital as the tumor was benign and not in a location to do permanent harm. He did tell me that there was bad wearing of the joint (which will lead me to knee replacement in the years to come). Anyway i went for the second surgery in December last year to correct what could be done and prevent the frequent dislocations i was suffering for years.

I was told the knee would be "stiff" and not back to normal for up to 2 years. :eek: Since the last surgery i have still problems with partial dislocations of my knee among other problems. I now have to consider ACL reconstructive surgery. So 6 years, and 2 surgeries with at least another 1 shortly and possible replacement surgery.

Now not trying to scare you. My problems stem from martial arts from 6, rugby, soccer, and motorbikes (or more to the point falling off them :D).

just to give you a good forum try the Health Sciences forum. Alot more users to view your thread and possibly alot more input than my sob story.

Ezridax.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement