Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you make your own alcohol?

Options
  • 07-12-2010 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Like it says on the tin. Do you? I'm about to start. A 2L water bottle, some honey, a few balloons and other bits and pieces, and in two months I'll have my very own home-brewed mead alcohel (sic). I'll also be doing a few bottles of turbocider while I'm at it, all while ferevently hoping there's no explosions or sticky puddles where my bottles used to be.

So, who brews here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Been thinking about it for a while now. There's a home brew subforum in the food section btw in case you missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I make the trip to the shop, does that count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hoping to try my hand at Cider, but other projects keep getting in the way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Bought the kits in Boots while in college, tried to make vodka. I think the instructions said we'd get 10 litres of vodka. We left it in the back corridor off the kitchen and after a party we realised the the level had increased and none of us had touched it. We dumped it the next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Been thinking about it for a while now. There's a home brew subforum in the food section btw in case you missed it.

I know, but AH is where you'll get an unbiased answer. Sort of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Made wine once but it tasted like really strong cider, it wasn't great but i aquired a taste for it and now I love really strong cider!

From my experience it isn't worth the time, effort and expense (starting off kit can cost a bit but if you constantly re-use it's nothing in the scheme of things). If you realy like the taste of the produce then your onto a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Confab wrote: »
    I know, but AH is where you'll get an unbiased answer. Sort of.

cool. Well it seems like cider using decent apple juice (turbo?) is a cheap and easy drink to start off with, not sure about storage for fermentation or afterwards though and that is my main problem atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

cool. Well it seems like cider using decent apple juice (turbo?) is a cheap and easy drink to start off with, not sure about storage for fermentation or afterwards though and that is my main problem atm.

You can just use a 2L Coke bottle for fermentation, pop a balloon over the mouth of the bottle, prick a hole in it with a needle and it'll regulate the press without allowing any crap into the mix. That's what I'm going to do anyway. Off to the shops to buy 6L of apple juice tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

You can get the air locks fairly cheap. I have a couple of the following up and running for Christmas

http://www.homebrew.ie/brewing-equipment/5-litre-pet-demi-john.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

No. I like a social drink. Drinknig at home doesn't really appeal to me, unless with friends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Degag wrote: »
    No. I like a social drink. Drinknig at home doesn't really appeal to me, unless with friends!

Invite friends round to try out your homebrew.

Been putting off making my own cider for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours to Home Brewing
    Confab, as this thread will only be about home brewing I moved it here.
    If the mods here think it's better in AH feel free to bounce it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I used to homebrew all the time, but since I moved I haven't done it (probably 4 years now) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

As this is the Home Brewing forum I think everyone will answer either "yes I do", "no but I would like to/am thinking about it" or "I used to and am thinking of/would like start again", otherwise, why would you be on the forum?

This thread is about as useful here a "do you read?" thread would be on the "Literature" board or a "do you like to listen to music?" thread would be on the "Music Reviews" board.

Advertisement