Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for speaking Irish

Options
  • 07-12-2010 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Long story short

Got banned for speakeng couple phrases in Irish.
    After my first post i got reply in irish, started to respond but had also some other things to do at the same time so it took a bit longer to reply, 10 min or so. Once the reply was made, just 2 min or even less i got the message i was banned, reason:

Originally Posted by Onkle viewpost.gif
    I placed the below warning on thread, which you ignored. Normally this ban would be for a week but I've left this one at two days

Another quick one, while some of us may understand the Irish language there are others that don't, there was a huge Feedback thread on this recently enough and it was decided that (unless in a specific language forum) English should be the language used and if you want to post in Irish you must also post a translation. It's a sitewide thing so it has to be upheld

Well, i didnt see that post simply because i made my post so long.

I didnt get any personal warning and i wasnt quick enough to read all the posts after my post was made so i had no time even for editing my post.

Yeah tried to solve the problem via PM where the mod told me it was purely my fault with which i didnt agree (i would agree if i made multiple posts or i had longer time to read all the posts) 10 min in that case just wasnt enough for me.
    So yes i told to mod that this story reminds me Irish history where people got shot because not talking English and about the dictators who didnt listen peoples excuses at all, just shot them, so after that i got permanent ban ... Sry but i dont feel the mod did very well tonight ...

Got banned for 1 Irishmade phrase in the time he made his post which actually wasnt even warning post + it was made in the time when i was making my post.

Should i feel happy ?

Thanks for listening

Marko

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hi, I'm gonna look into this for you now. Can you send me on a copy of the whole PM conversation you had with the mod please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The mod asked you and another poster to post a translation if you were posting in Irish. A fair request. The other poster starts posting a translation but you didn't so you received a short ban. That's pretty clear cut. Then you compared the mod to someone who executed Irish people for not speaking English. That doesn't sound like "trying to solve the problem" to me but it also sounds like you have a problem with people telling Irish speakers to speak in English which casts doubt on your claim that you didn't see his warning. As far as I'm concerned the ban stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Sry i still dont see i made such a horroble crime it was worth a straight ban. Like i said i didnt see the warning, which actually doesnt say its a warning anyway, have no warnings or infractions before, sounded harsh to me.
    And now permanent ban for NOT posting english translation to the Irish post and explaining my feelings about that ban via PM ...

I really dont know either to cry or laugh now ...
    So you trying to say that problem solving means foot licking ?
    Sry i dont feel i commited so horroble crime that it was worth ban at the first stage. Or is it common here to ban people for every single small mistake ?

Cheers

MarkoC wrote: »
    Sry i still dont see i made such a horroble crime it was worth a straight ban.

It wasn't a straight ban, the mod posted a warning, then banned you.
    Like i said i didnt see the warning, which actually doesnt say its a warning anyway, have no warnings or infractions before, sounded harsh to me.

You were responding to a post that was made after the mod posted his warning. The post you were responding to was posted directly after the mod's warning so I find it hard to believe that you didn't see it especially considering you compared the mod to someone who executed the Irish for not speaking English.
    And now permanent ban for NOT posting english translation to the Irish post and explaining my feelings about that ban via PM ...
    No. You received an on thread warning for not posting an english translation. You received a two day ban for ignoring the mods warning. Then your conduct via pm is what led to your perma ban. You didn't explain your feelings you compared the mod to someone who executed Irish who wouldn't speak English.
    Or is it common here to ban people for every single small mistake ?

No but it wasn't a single small mistake. If you had listened to the mod warning we wouldn't be here right now.

Like i said i had the TAB open for a quite a few minutes, took a while when i put the Irish phrase together, posted, 2 min later ban.
    As this site is not the only one where i am, i admit i made a small mistake where i didnt pay attention on all the previous posts made before my post and didnt edit it in a time. Well, wasnt given even a chance.

This dictatorship came into conversation in a 5th or 6th PM as i saw clearly that he/she is not even willing to listen me. As i cant describe it the other way. Ban for not puting english translation on Irish forum is a bit sick anyway, we all know wheres the google translator ... or not ? And thats where the comparison to English came on the scene, where early last century Irish were killed because they didnt speak english, Thats exact how i felt about the ban, but looks like i have also no rights to my feelings, that caused permanent ban ...

Really dont know, either to cry or laugh or to make a new account ...

I was happy with the moderator IF, he/she PMd me as he/she knows im a foreigner anyway, that i maybe missed his/her post above, gave me personal infraction and problem solved. I would correct my post and everyone happy, no instead of that the mods like theyr BAN button which actually wont make the world better place ...
    There are always good cops and bad cops, none of you would like to get straight ban or huge fine for a very small mistake you made just because you didnt notice something, nothing horroble happened anyway ...

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Really dont know, either to cry or laugh or to make a new account ...
    Going to pop in here as an admin and say if you make a new account to circumvent the Motors ban, that new account will be permanently sitebanned and this account may receive a temporary siteban also. So don't go there.

Carry on.

Is there any neutral Admin who would take a look at the case please ?
    As the moderator clearly became emotional. And i think this job cant be done followed by emotions.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I have received an apology from the OP via PM. I am willing to reduce the ban to 1 month from today pending CMod approval

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm happy enough given the apology.

@MarkoC - I'd avoid making accusations of the admins being impartial should you be involved in another DRP thread!

Lesson learned, no point to run against brick wall.

Cheers and case closed from my side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Grand so, I'll mark this resolved and close the thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement