Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fallen gutters from snow and ice, ...."act of god"?

Options
  • 07-12-2010 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

half the guttering has collapsed and fallen from our house.

would anyone know whether this kind of thing is generally covered,
    .....or does it just come under "acts of god" in the small print?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

half the guttering has collapsed and fallen from our house.

would anyone know whether this kind of thing is generally covered,
    .....or does it just come under "acts of god" in the small print?

Well, it depends. Does the fine print mention which god they refer to? I hear there are many of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Well, it depends. Does the fine print mention which god they refer to? I hear there are many of them!

Or none.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Wouldn't think it would be classed as an act of god. Shoddy materials or workmanship if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Only your insurer can answer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Probably is covered but your policy excess (usually between 125 and 500) would probably be more than the cost of repairing the guttering. Get a local handy man to give you a price. This happened to my house at the beginning of the year and got it fixed for 100 euro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

was told 700-800 to repair.

could be wrong, but don't think it was shoody materials/workmanship. gutters just became packed with layers of ice which expanded maybe. they cracked before falling.

will get onto the insurance soon

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Regarding the issue you had, I think it could be due to the snow sliding down from the roof. In the house where I live now I had a similar problem, the snow on the roof froze and when the sun heated it up it started melting, eventualling sliding down in one huge block. Gutters resisted, but the satellite receiver got cracked.

Where I come from the snow is expected every year, and we have snow stoppers on the roof that will prevent big blocks of snow and ice from sliding down (see picture). Maybe it could be worth checking if they can be installed, it could prevent the same issue in the future. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Should be covered no problem of yhr gutters were maintained to a reasonable standard in the first place.
    If they say no, check your all risks section and if falling snow/ice is not excluded claim under that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

daigo75 wrote: »
    Regarding the issue you had, I think it could be due to the snow sliding down from the roof. In the house where I live now I had a similar problem, the snow on the roof froze and when the sun heated it up it started melting, eventualling sliding down in one huge block. Gutters resisted, but the satellite receiver got cracked.

Where I come from the snow is expected every year, and we have snow stoppers on the roof that will prevent big blocks of snow and ice from sliding down (see picture). Maybe it could be worth checking if they can be installed, it could prevent the same issue in the future. :)

looks cheap and simple. interesting. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

looks cheap and simple. interesting. thanks

Glad to know it could be helpful. :)

It *is* cheap and simple, and also extremely logical. The same for winter tyres, snow chains and snow socks, all of which, I've been told, are not available for sale in Ireland as "not regulated" (or something like that). And let's not forget the winter diesel, which also seems to be unknown... Better to stop here, before I go into "full rant mode". :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

This is a topical issue in the insurance world at the moment. I know of one company refusing to cover this damage on the basis that it is not considered a storm related peril. In relation to Acts Of God not being covered this is a bit of a myth derived from old insurance contracts. Many modern policies cover common acts of god such as storm fire and flood.

As mentioned the policy wording and inclusions and exclusions are very important and these can vary hugely from company to company. Also remember to check if the all risks or accidental damage feature applies to the buildings and not to contents only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Agree with Moycullen 1.

Insurers are trying to wriggle out of paying, stating that 'snow damage' is not a stated insured peril. Royal Sunalliance were the 1st to attempt this with me. However, they can only argue that with a Fire & Perils policy and not a full Accidental Damage (All Risks) policy, as the exact causes do not have to be specified here.

Once the gutters were in good nick previously, it is 'sudden and unforeseen' damage and they will be obliged to pay up. However, watch them close off this with an amended policy wording shortly, which will apply from the subsequent renewal date of your policy.

Advertisement