Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people buy branded milk?

• 07-12-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

I mean, why buy Avonmore or Snowcream when Tesco or Dunnes milk is cheaper and also comes from a cow's nipple?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I can taste the difference in milk between brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Eh, isn't Tesco's or Dunnes a brand? :p But, yeah, they're cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why buy Dunnes when you can buy Lidl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I prefer to get it on tap meself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

NCF milk is far superior to any other milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

why is that do they use ''superior'' cows ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ah, any milk is grand.

Unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that - cos it's shíte !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

GOT MILK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭D e e

Why do people buy milk at all, it's 'scustin!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I like to pay a tiny bit more (what is it like 30c on a litre?) to our dairy farmers for their high quality product. Large supermarkets bully small farmers into basically selling their produce at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

I mean, why buy Avonmore or Snowcream when Tesco or Dunnes milk is cheaper and also comes from a cow's nipple?
    same reason people only buy branded paracetamol and other medicines - although i'm fairly sure paracetamol doesn't come from a cow's nipple:D

or is there something i'm missing:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

because it comes from a branded cow???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

the mother buys Aldi's finest 2 litre's!! It's Strathroy's so its technically a bigger brand than it's labeled as!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

If you want to buy cheap 'own brand' milk there's nothing wrong with that... all the dairy farmers in the UK will love you for it!

Buy Irish folks or else stop whinging that the economy is down the toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's called marketing OP. If the product you sell is virtually identically to your competitors you need to put a different slant on it and hope idiots fall for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

the mother buys Aldi's finest 2 litre's!! It's Strathroy's so its technically a bigger brand than it's labeled as!

You think Strathroy is bigger than Aldi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

It's called marketing OP. If the product you sell is virtually identically to your competitors you need to put a different slant on it and hope idiots fall for it.

And this is precisely the point I am trying to convince my wife of. It is of course exactly as you say - marketing and the hope that idiots will think a higher price equals a superior product.

Thing is, the people you see picking up the Avonmore or the Snowcream in preference of the cheaper own-brand milk don't look particularly stupid at all. To me that's the most worrying thing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

To make sure my milk is from a branded cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I always buy Avanmore. Maybe I'm imagining the taste difference but even if I am I still like how the 2 litre carton contours to my hand for that extra easy pour.

Buy Avonmore, it's everywhere you wanna be.

[/advertisement]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I've found that quite often the Use By dates on the own brand milks is a lot sooner than the Use By dates on the more "traditional" providers. Similarly, the cartons generally feel stronger. As a result, if you don't drink it that often, it's probably better value to get the more expensive milk as it'll last a couple of days more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We'll all be buying cheap milk after the budget.

Why even buy milk when there's loads of pregnant women around with a fresh supply on tap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Most other milks taste watered down compared to NCF milk. Pity their spreads aren't as good.

I couldn't drink a whole glass of some of the own brand stuff - they're water + white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i am one of these odd people who can taste the difference between brands,

so for me its like asking why do people buy milk chocolate when you can get dark chocolate, they have two totally different tastes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Why do people drink low fat milk and claim it tastes the same? Bleeuurrgghh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

You think Strathroy is bigger than Aldi?

Well id think of it as a more expensive branded label..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Why even buy milk when there's loads of pregnant women around with a fresh supply on tap?

They tend to get antsy when you grab them and try to squirt it into your latte as they pass by.

I only use soya milk - thankfully it doesn't come from anybodys nipple.

'cptr

That's why ya gotta sweet talk 'em first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Why buy Dunnes when you can buy Lidl?

Because they are exactly the same price!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

I like to pay a tiny bit more (what is it like 30c on a litre?) to our dairy farmers for their high quality product. Large supermarkets bully small farmers into basically selling their produce at a loss.
    rubbish

The dept of agriculture had a part of their website showing what the EC/ govt paid to every farmer in the country last year. It named them all. I looked up the people I knew + was amazed to see them getting 35 and 40 grand in handouts.

Buy the cheapest milk you can , it all comes from the same cows. Tesco + Dunnes are the same price as lidl. Other brands are a rip off. Buy tesco or Dunnes rather than lidl as at least the profit is not going to eastern european checkout operators + german owners.

Because they are exactly the same price!

Oh.

I only ever buy organic milk and usually shop in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

Best milk is straight from the cow. With the stringent hygiene requirements that dairies are made to implement there is no problem there. It lasts a 4 to 5 days in the fridge and even when it does go off you can make the best soda bread you will have ever tasted. Use instead of butter milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Well branded milkshakes brings the boys to the yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Japer wrote: »
    rubbish

The dept of agriculture had a part of their website showing what the EC/ govt paid to every farmer in the country last year. It named them all. I looked up the people I knew + was amazed to see them getting 35 and 40 grand in handouts.

Ah so you decide then to screw all the farmers, because a few you know got more money in payments ?

Sweet why not tell that to the small dairy operators like my cousin who even though he has 60 odd cows is only breaking even.
    He contributes to this country, do you ?
    Would you rather pay his dole and help farmers in say the UK ?

Japer wrote: »
    Buy the cheapest milk you can , it all comes from the same cows. Tesco + Dunnes are the same price as lidl. Other brands are a rip off. Buy tesco or Dunnes rather than lidl as at least the profit is not going to eastern european checkout operators + german owners.

And who the f*** are Tesco, but a British multinaitonal that overcharges the Irish customers in the Republic of Ireland for products mainly sourced in the Uk or elsewhere.
    And I can drag you into a fair few Tesco and Dunnes stores and show you many nationalities working there, so stop trying to claim the German supermarkets are somehow different.

Anyway what have you got against Eastern European checkout operators ?
    You do know they are paying taxes in this country, contributing to this country's economy, are you ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

i laugh at this...people also assume because its branded its better...study done on watchdog couple months back....neurofen...8 euro a packet....vs superdrug own brand paracetomol...2.50 or something....neither person knew the difference...same effect....guy who went to superdrug saves alot of euros....cereals are the same...although i admit kellogs rice krispies cant be beaten....:rolleyes:

Are you including the north in your rant, because I doubt very much if Glanbia only source south of the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Normal milk I'd buy the cheapest but avonmore have by far the nicest chocolate milk.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My OH came home with Aldi milk a while back.. I couldn't drink it, all I could think of was this

milk.jpg

:pac:

Also, Aldi and Lidl milk tends to go off very fast, it starts to smell before it's best before date.. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I've tasted NCF milk and Golden Vale milk kicks its ass. And why is that? Because it comes from the Golden Vale - the best dairying land in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Has anyone else noticed that in a lot of places organic milk is cheaper than the regular stuff? Why the hell is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

I've found that quite often the Use By dates on the own brand milks is a lot sooner than the Use By dates on the more "traditional" providers. Similarly, the cartons generally feel stronger. As a result, if you don't drink it that often, it's probably better value to get the more expensive milk as it'll last a couple of days more.

Exactly the reason I buy Avonmore, I used to throw away loads of milk because they went off sooner once they were opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

D e e wrote: »
    Why do people buy milk at all, it's 'scustin!
    What have you been drinking, cats' milk?

Bainne is the choice of champions.

By the way, can you get glass-bottled milk delivered to the door in Dublin anymore? I remember there used to be one with a red cap that had cream at the top, it was ****ing unreal.

Milk in a carton is still alright though. Only paedophiles drink milk from plastic bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

When I'm back in Cork I would generally only drink Dawn / CMP (the two biggest brands), even if they are in and around €2.30 for a 2 litre bottle IIRC. In Italy I drink the own brand supermarket milk and it tastes great €.65 cent per litre vs €1.55 for a litre of branded Milk.

Then again I only drink semi skimmed milk nowadays so I probably don't count to the purists out there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

zeusnero wrote: »
    When I'm back in Cork I would generally only drink Dawn / CMP (the two biggest brands), even if they are in and around €2.30 for a 2 litre bottle IIRC. In Italy I drink the own brand supermarket milk and it tastes great €.65 cent per litre vs €1.55 for a litre of branded Milk.

Then again I only drink semi skimmed milk nowadays so I probably don't count to the purists out there :D

No, you don't, thats just coloured water!!:D

zeusnero wrote: »
    In Italy I drink the own brand supermarket milk and it tastes great €.65 cent per litre vs €1.55 for a litre of branded Milk.
    I simply don't believe you. In all my travels outside the green isle, I’ve never come across milk that’s anything better than passable. The milk on the continent is outright putrid, and that’s if you’re lucky enough to find one of around 7 outlets in Europe that sells anything other than UHT.

For all Ireland’s failings, it’s the only country in the world that produces decent milk and rashers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

danbohan wrote: »
    why is that do they use ''superior'' cows ?
    It's what happens it between leaving the cow and being put on the supermarket shelf ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

My ma says she can tell the difference between the brands but I think this is nonsense, I think it's a case of as she grew up drinking premier daries she just likes to think this brand is better and just unwilling to accept theirs no difference

Dunnes/tesco milk, avenmore, prem daries etc all taste EXACTLY the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I buy it as cheap as I can in Tesco. Most Tesco fresh produce is Irish by the way.

I know a dairy farmer and he sells to a couple of different producers. So that puts the taste difference thing to bed. Unless you are tasting the different cartons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement