Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people buy branded milk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Greyfox wrote: »
    My ma says she can tell the difference between the brands but I think this is nonsense, I think it's a case of as she grew up drinking premier daries she just likes to think this brand is better and just unwilling to accept theirs no difference

Dunnes/tesco milk, avenmore, prem daries etc all taste EXACTLY the same!
    If you ever drank unadulterated fresh milk it makes supermarket milk taste like water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Greyfox wrote: »
    My ma says she can tell the difference between the brands but I think this is nonsense, I think it's a case of as she grew up drinking premier daries she just likes to think this brand is better and just unwilling to accept theirs no difference

Dunnes/tesco milk, avenmore, prem daries etc all taste EXACTLY the same!
    In all honesty, I’d agree that there’s a discernable difference between various brands. And this is no pretense, it’s coming from someone whose heart leaps at the sight of Tesco Value’s minimalist blue and white packaging.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Avonmore/Lidl/Tesco/Dunnes they're all the same...

EXCEPT! There is this horrible brand in Tipperary called Thurles Milk - Rancid stuff, tastes like its gone off from the second you open it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Because if you don't buy milk with the NDC stamp Paul O'Connell will come around to your house and put the fear of god into you....be warned...

If you ever drank unadulterated fresh milk it makes supermarket milk taste like water.

It's probably the bacterial byproducts that you're tasting.

RAW MILK! RAW FOOD! VIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

I buy my milk in Lidl.

Mostly use it for tea and coffee. My dad prefers branded milk so my mother always buys that for him. He notices a taste difference - he would notice if the cows were being fed turnips in winter from the taste of it! Says milk in summer is way better.

I find the milk in Lidl fine, but I dont drink glasses of milk, just in my coffee and on my cornflakes. I've been buying it for years so maybe Im just used to the way it tastes.

Most of us would like to support Irish producers, unfortunately its the vast price difference that keeps me buying Lidl milk. We use up to 10 2litre cartons per week! (just my husband and I - he drinks a lot of milky tea)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

because my family supply milk to Glanbia and nothing else is allowed into the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

It's probably the bacterial byproducts that you're tasting.

RAW MILK! RAW FOOD! VIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN! :pac:
    It's the high fat ;) If you check it out low fat milk is worse than normal fat milk. Bacteria never killed anyone ;) That's the trouble with todays society everything must be clean and bacteria free. Did you ever hear that you need to build up immunity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

I buy my milk in Lidl.

Mostly use it for tea and coffee. My dad prefers branded milk so my mother always buys that for him. He notices a taste difference - he would notice if the cows were being fed turnips in winter from the taste of it! Says milk in summer is way better.

I find the milk in Lidl fine, but I dont drink glasses of milk, just in my coffee and on my cornflakes. I've been buying it for years so maybe Im just used to the way it tastes.

Most of us would like to support Irish producers, unfortunately its the vast price difference that keeps me buying Lidl milk. We use up to 10 2litre cartons per week! (just my husband and I - he drinks a lot of milky tea)

In fairness to your dad there are people who can find a taste on milk, I used to be like that when we milked out own cows, some cows are liable to pass the taste of their diet into their milk and can cause a taste difference. Dunno how it would apply to creamery milk though :D

• Advertisement

Did you ever hear that you need to build up immunity?
    Tru dis.

I'm not a dirty person but I’ve never been too particular about certain areas of hygiene. I’d always let other people lick my ice-cream and do the same if offered, I’d use unwashed cutlery lying around the counter to save myself a walk to the drawer, and I’ve no compunction with eating food that’s fallen on the floor, within reason (**** the five-second rule).

I haven’t been sick in the last five years, alcohol-induced episodes excluded.

That Dettol ad where your one chases her kids around the gaf, spraying every surface they lay their hands on, absolutely disgusts me. She’ll have only herself to blame when one of them dies from a cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 DribblingRobot

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Most Tesco fresh produce is Irish by the way.

Ever looked at the country of origin on the veg in there? You're lucky if it's from this hemisphere.

Not very relevant but this thread reminds me of this:
    Napoleon Dynamite: [drinks glass of milk] The defect in that one is bleach.
    FFA Judge No. 1: That's right.
    Napoleon Dynamite: Yessssssssss.
    Napoleon Dynamite: [drinks second glass of milk] This tastes like the cow got into an onion patch.
    FFA Judge No. 2: Correct.
    Napoleon Dynamite: Yessssssssss.

So does the milk from Dunnes/Tescos come from Irish farms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Tru dis.

I'm not a dirty person but I’ve never been too particular about certain areas of hygiene. I’d always let other people lick my ice-cream and do the same if offered, I’d use unwashed cutlery lying around the counter to save myself a walk to the drawer, and I’ve no compunction with eating food that’s fallen on the floor, within reason (**** the five-second rule).

I haven’t been sick in the last five years, alcohol-induced episodes excluded.

That Dettol ad where your one chases her kids around the gaf, spraying every surface they lay their hands on, absolutely disgusts me. She’ll have only herself to blame when one of them dies from a cold.

Whilst OT totally agree with this. I can't remember the last time I had a cold for example. It's been at least 2 years. People are absolute nutjobs about cleanliness these days and it's only due to the likes of Dettol with their marketing. Going by their adverts I'm shocked the human race managed to evolve without bleach, surface sprays and hand sanitisers/disinfectants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Our local Vedgie shop does 2litres for 99c, thats great value

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I recall a girl asking me if Avonmore Supermilk came from Supercows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

I always buy the cheapest milk in the store I'm in at the time. Brand means nothing but yes they all taste different - I prefer oranmore milk as I grew up when the Aldi or Lidl one first came out (I forget which) I didn't like the taste but it has improved a lot I think. Usually I buy tesco as it's around the corner from my place. Avonmore etc are not small brands they are part of large companies also. I would support a local cremery sooner then one of the big Irish ones who insist on charging a premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

lallychops wrote: »
    study done on watchdog couple months back....neurofen...8 euro a packet....vs superdrug own brand paracetomol...2.50 or something....neither person knew the difference

they're different drugs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

pampootie wrote: »
    they're different drugs. :)

True, but Boots do sell their own brand Ibuprofen.
    Half the price of Neurofen, yet peopel will still go for the brand name.

Shenshen wrote: »
    True, but Boots do sell their own brand Ibuprofen.
    Half the price of Neurofen, yet peopel will still go for the brand name.
    I remember reading an interesting piece somewhere about the relative merits of branded painkillers vs. their generic counterparts.

It found that people using the branded wares reported greater pain relief than those using the cheaper versions. Obviously, the active ingredient in each product is identical, so the pharmacological mechanism is the same. But in the case of pain relief, the mind's perception will often play a significant role in the patient's recognition of their discomfort. It seems that flashy packaging from well-known vendors can enhance the placebo effect and thereby increase the efficacy of the drug to an extent.

Must try to dig it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I like to pay a tiny bit more (what is it like 30c on a litre?) to our dairy farmers for their high quality product. Large supermarkets bully small farmers into basically selling their produce at a loss.

Large supermarkets don't buy directly from small farmers. They buy from creameries. So blame them. There are very few "small" dairy farmers in Ireland as you need economies of scale to supply milk. Their produce is heavily subsidised by the EU.

Anyway it's up to the farmer to decide at what price to sell their milk. If you are selling milk at a loss then it's a lifestyle choice to farm, which in fact is the case in Ireland for all but the biggest farms as farming is so heavily subsidised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I simply don't believe you. In all my travels outside the green isle, I’ve never come across milk that’s anything better than passable. The milk on the continent is outright putrid, and that’s if you’re lucky enough to find one of around 7 outlets in Europe that sells anything other than UHT.

For all Ireland’s failings, it’s the only country in the world that produces decent milk and rashers.

I agree with you for the most part, but try Denmark. Delicious milk there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Used to buy only a particular brand from a local shop, I could never figure out why it tasted nicer from there and lasted longer.

Some milk is delivered and left outside the shop or outside the fridge for a while.

Different brands get put in different spots in the display, they aren't all chilled equally and some are exposed to more light (light acts on the milk in the plastic containers).

god i hate when people assume there are no small dairy farmers and they get lots of subsidies etc - thats simply not true at all. but off topic - i just had to say this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Aldi milk is sourced here- http://www.strathroydairy.ie/ I can't tell the difference between that and Avanmore etc. apart from the price.At least the German stores have distribution centres in Ireland an a lot of produce is sourced in the country unlike Tesco.People were looked down on by certain sections of society for shopping in Lidl and Aldi but now that the country is in the sh/te every class shops there.Brand snobbery is no longer an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

grenache wrote: »
    I've tasted NCF milk and Golden Vale milk kicks its ass. And why is that? Because it comes from the Golden Vale - the best dairying land in the country.

HERESY! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Oh.

I only ever buy organic milk and usually shop in Tesco.

Tesco! *shakes head sadly" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

NCF milk is far superior to any other milk

Hate to break it to you but it is exactly the same milk as Tesco, Super valu, Gala, Centra and Superquinn (the litre cartons anyway) and many others It all comes out of the same bottling plant in Sligo, and the same cows incidently. Used to deliver the stuff all around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lilahelena

I personally can not taste a difference between any milk & I always buy the own brand milk if I can but hubby says there is a differce when you are drinking the milk & he will only have a glass of milk if its in a carton not a plastic bottle + will only drink premier dairies

Mad I dont notice a difference think it might be all in his head lol:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

minikin wrote: »
    If you want to buy cheap 'own brand' milk there's nothing wrong with that... all the dairy farmers in the UK will love you for it!

Buy Irish folks or else stop whinging that the economy is down the toilet.

Our local Kerry Group facility isn't in the UK, and they provide supermarket own-labels as well as their own Dawn labelled milk. Same stuff, different price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Ever looked at the country of origin on the veg in there? You're lucky if it's from this hemisphere.

I was thinking of the fresh meat and poultry. Its nearly all irish. Some is UK . But I do enjoy the cumberland sausages and the like in there.

Is there any super markets that sell quality Irish veg. I am thinking our climate does not support all year around veg supply (at a good price) .

TBH . I dont care where its from as long as its tasty and cheap. In these times who can afford to be fussy about origin.

I will tell yas one thing.

I have never seen a poor farmer;)

why would people not be willing to pay a few more cents to support irish farmers and buy avonmore/glanbia? put money back into our country and not send it out foreign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I can taste the difference in milk between brands.

I worked in Dunnes for a while a few years ago and the Dunnes brand we got and Avonmore came from the same place. Good tastebuds you got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    why would people not be willing to pay a few more cents to support irish farmers and buy avonmore/glanbia? put money back into our country and not send it out foreign.

Are you calling the Kerry Group foreign?

yeah i am lol - Glanbia all the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Whilst OT totally agree with this. I can't remember the last time I had a cold for example. It's been at least 2 years. People are absolute nutjobs about cleanliness these days and it's only due to the likes of Dettol with their marketing. Going by their adverts I'm shocked the human race managed to evolve without bleach, surface sprays and hand sanitisers/disinfectants.
    My favourite one is "Some bacteria can live in lava, so think how easily the bacteria on your chopping board..."

Em, the bacteria on your chopping board definitely can't live in lava.

Every time I see one of those ads I think of Wossisname Mitchell; "Well, clearly that's fine then. We're not all dropping dead all the time."
    I always hated Snowcream milk in winter because you could taste the silage off of it. It was mank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Japer wrote: »
    rubbish

The dept of agriculture had a part of their website showing what the EC/ govt paid to every farmer in the country last year. It named them all. I looked up the people I knew + was amazed to see them getting 35 and 40 grand in handouts.

Buy the cheapest milk you can , it all comes from the same cows. Tesco + Dunnes are the same price as lidl. Other brands are a rip off. Buy tesco or Dunnes rather than lidl as at least the profit is not going to eastern european checkout operators + german owners.

Do you have a link for that website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Raw goat's milk ftw. Arguing over pasteurised cow's milk is pretty hilarious, it's all bland as fuck.

those grants help the farmers to survive because the price they get for milk/crops is very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I used to prefer Premier Dairies over Avenmore when I was younger, but they are pretty much the same thing now.

Superquinns own brand milk is delicious - has a real creamy taste off it and I would buy that ahead of any.

I cannot drink milk from plastic bottles in Ireland as I can taste the plastic and it is horrible, but I have yet to see milk being offered in Tetra packs in England yet, but I cannot taste the plasticness from their drums.

My favourite in England is Goldtop - comes from Jersey cows and it is not homogonised - I love treating myself to a pint of that!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are you calling the Kerry Group foreign?
    I'd find it excusable for one to think the denizens of Kerry spoke a different language to the rest of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    those grants help the farmers to survive because the price they get for milk/crops is very small.

I had to laugh when they were protesting at the prices they got by pouring the milk into the Liffey,

A fella I know said "Sure isn't it only right, seems as though they have been pouring the Liffey into the milk for years, restoring the circle of life"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

gsxr1 wrote: »

I was thinking of the fresh meat and poultry. Its nearly all irish. Some is UK . But I do enjoy the cumberland sausages and the like in there.

Is there any super markets that sell quality Irish veg. I am thinking our climate does not support all year around veg supply (at a good price) .

TBH . I dont care where its from as long as its tasty and cheap. In these times who can afford to be fussy about origin.

I will tell yas one thing.

I have never seen a poor farmer;)

I had the same attitude until I started hauling into Tesco HQ, The only Irish reg lorries were the ones taking stuff from the warehouse:(. Since then I make the extra effort to buy Irish, you would be amazed at the amount of stuff we grow in this country.

Super Valu seem to be fairly good for stocking Irish fruit and veg. I got to know some of the farmers producing the veg, like potatoes, cabbage, carrots etc. and they work hard for what they earn. Fresher and better quality than the stuff we bring in from across the water.

minikin wrote: »
    If you want to buy cheap 'own brand' milk there's nothing wrong with that... all the dairy farmers in the UK will love you for it!

Buy Irish folks or else stop whinging that the economy is down the toilet.

Tesco own brand has the National Dairy Council Mark that Paul O Connell goes on about, Dunnes (an irish company) don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

lilahelena wrote: »
    I personally can not taste a difference between any milk & I always buy the own brand milk if I can but hubby says there is a differce when you are drinking the milk & he will only have a glass of milk if its in a carton not a plastic bottle + will only drink premier dairies

Mad I dont notice a difference think it might be all in his head lol:D

Lots of people can taste the plastic of certain brands of milk, used to hate plastic carton milk but have finally found one I can't taste the plastic off, its not in peoples heads, some people can taste things others can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I simply don't believe you. In all my travels outside the green isle, I’ve never come across milk that’s anything better than passable. The milk on the continent is outright putrid, and that’s if you’re lucky enough to find one of around 7 outlets in Europe that sells anything other than UHT.

For all Ireland’s failings, it’s the only country in the world that produces decent milk and rashers.

As a milkaholic I have to testify that Dutch and German milk is pretty good. In the Dutch supermarket Albert Heijn they have their own brand which I buy. It's fortified with extra calcium so it's good for my bone(r) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

denmark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

zerks wrote: »
    .At least the German stores have distribution centres in Ireland
    big deal. Last time I was in lidl I noticed all their staff was polish / eastern european. They take the money out of Ireland and send it to Germany as efficiently as possible. Only fair I suppose, as its the Germans who are lending us most of the money in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

TPD wrote: »

I've seen a few different brands made by Donegal Creameries too, Puredrop I think is the name of one of them and I'm sure there is at least one other I can't remember!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Eh, isn't Tesco's or Dunnes a brand? :p But, yeah, they're cheaper.
    They taste ****. I would never buy anything Dunnes brand. Tesco is pushing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that - cos it's shíte !

I'll be more controversial. The greatest single clip in the history of Father Ted.:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement