Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people buy branded milk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I can taste the difference aswell.

Same with the water, it tastes different in different people houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭jonnygiles

But I always drink my......malk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I buy branded milk when there is not other milk available! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Wexford Creamery milk is savage..

The cheese is too ... yom yommmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I simply don't believe you. In all my travels outside the green isle, I’ve never come across milk that’s anything better than passable. The milk on the continent is outright putrid, and that’s if you’re lucky enough to find one of around 7 outlets in Europe that sells anything other than UHT.

For all Ireland’s failings, it’s the only country in the world that produces decent milk and rashers.

And sausages, and tea. After another holiday where only shìte tea was available I reckon I'm going to turn into one of those auld ones that packs a box of teabags in their suitcase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    those grants help the farmers to survive because the price they get for milk/crops is very small.

30 - 40 grand free money is nice enough for "surviving on", I shouls think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I steal my kids dinner from my girlfriends nipples. Nom Nom Nom bewbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Japer wrote: »
    big deal. Last time I was in lidl I noticed all their staff was polish / eastern european. They take the money out of Ireland and send it to Germany as efficiently as possible. Only fair I suppose, as its the Germans who are lending us most of the money in the first place.

:confused:

When was the last time you saw Irish sstaff in Dunnes? Must have been years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I buy milk Tullamore Dairies Milk - much better than Avonmore!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Tesco milk comes in from Snowcream. It always has a shorter shelf life and if you squeeze the 3 litre bottle the top springs off......get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

comes from a cow's nipple

it comes from a what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

People who diss Lidil or Aldi are kinda snobby imo. A boy in my primary school used to tease me for having Aldi juice or something like that, he said I was wierd for shopping in a German shop so I pointed out that his mum drove a Merc lol. (this was all back in the early 2000s before it became cool to be cheap).:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Paparazzo wrote: »
    And sausages, and tea. After another holiday where only shìte tea was available I reckon I'm going to turn into one of those auld ones that packs a box of teabags in their suitcase.

german sausages are on a different level completely to anything this country produces, same too with german weiss beer having said that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

How true, spent a week in the canaries a few years ago and the couple behind us had tea bags with them, I never enjoyed a cup of tea as much after a week of weak water being passed off as tea.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    german sausages are on a different level completely to anything this country produces, same too with german weiss beer having said that :D

I love German sausages with a beer, but for breakfast I want normal sausages. I hate when you think they're going to be normal, but when you taste them they're smoked, spiced, garlic or have herbs. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

why do people buy branded cows :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I love German sausages with a beer, but for breakfast I want normal sausages. I hate when you think they're going to be normal, but when you taste them they're smoked, spiced, garlic or have herbs. :mad:
    I've been talking about it a lot because it's awesome:

go to the Christmas fair in IFSC in Dublin.
    It's a true German fair and has authentic food, beer and mulled wine.

OisinT wrote: »
    I've been talking about it a lot because it's awesome:

go to the Christmas fair in IFSC in Dublin.
    It's a true German fair and has authentic food, beer and mulled wine.

I'll be there. Christmas markets are great, I went to Cologne last year especially for one. Recommended BTW, cheap hotels there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Because of advertising and marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

professore wrote: »
    Large supermarkets don't buy directly from small farmers. They buy from creameries. So blame them. There are very few "small" dairy farmers in Ireland as you need economies of scale to supply milk. Their produce is heavily subsidised by the EU.

Anyway it's up to the farmer to decide at what price to sell their milk. If you are selling milk at a loss then it's a lifestyle choice to farm, which in fact is the case in Ireland for all but the biggest farms as farming is so heavily subsidised.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    30 - 40 grand free money is nice enough for "surviving on", I shouls think...

Farmers don't decide what price to sell their milk at. They sell it for whatever the coops can pay for it.... sometimes the price they get is so low that it's actually costing them money to produce milk. Their subsidies barely keep them afloat. How many of you would keep on working if half of the time you were earning barely enough to survive, and the other half, you were actually making a loss - it's a hard job!

The supermarkets are the ones who are being greedy - for every bottle of milk you pay for, the supermarket gets most of the money you hand over. The milk processer/coops who pasteurise and bottle it get a tiny amount. And the farmers who actually produce it get feck all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Why even buy milk when there's loads of pregnant women around with a fresh supply on tap?

*puts on pedantic hat*........a woman's milk only "comes in" a day or 2 after giving birth

Back on topic........milk is milk is milk is milk is milk is milk is milk is milk (set to repeat)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Changed from branded milk to M&S for a short period as M&S was cheaper, then changed to Tesco as it was cheaper again, no difference in taste imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

dvet wrote: »
    Farmers don't decide what price to sell their milk at. They sell it for whatever the coops can pay for it.... sometimes the price they get is so low that it's actually costing them money to produce milk. Their subsidies barely keep them afloat. How many of you would keep on working if half of the time you were earning barely enough to survive, and the other half, you were actually making a loss - it's a hard job!!

What a ridiculous statement to make...the farmers cannot possibly be as poverty stricken as you're stating here because of the price the co-ops pay for their milk, because firstly, how would they even feed themselves or their families and secondly, nobody would continue to work under those circumstances.

Poor farmers my eye!

I've had tesco, avonmore, dunnes, supervalue and premier milk...it all tastes exactly the same as far as I'm concerned.

Fittle wrote: »
    What a ridiculous statement to make...the farmers cannot possibly be as poverty stricken as you're stating here because of the price the co-ops pay for their milk, because firstly, how would they even feed themselves or their families and secondly, nobody would continue to work under those circumstances.

Poor farmers my eye!

I've had tesco, avonmore, dunnes, supervalue and premier milk...it all tastes exactly the same as far as I'm concerned.

They make their profit when the price of milk goes back up again for a while (I'm talking the price the coop pays to the farmer, not the shop price here). Often a few cent per litre up or down can make the difference between making a living and making a loss. Sometimes the price of milk is good and farmers can catch up with paying their bills/buying stuff/general living, sometimes it's bad, and if it's bad for long enough, things can get really hard for them.

The supermarkets put awful pressure on the coops to reduce milk prices, which is nothing more than greed. They make far, far more of a profit on the milk than the people who actually produce it.

I'm not a farmer but I know plenty of them, and I know what life is like for them when things get tight.

Give this a read if you don't believe me. This is from BBC website, but identical to what's happening here...(interesting that Tesco won't say exactly how much mark up they put on milk)

Who makes money from a pint of milk?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8103119.stm

Quote:
    61p - cost to farmer to produce four pints
    58p - paid to farmer by processor
    3p - farmer's loss
    £1.07 - paid to processor by supermarket
    £1.45 - cost to customer to buy four pints from supermarket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

lallychops wrote: »
    study done on watchdog couple months back....neurofen...8 euro a packet....vs superdrug own brand paracetomol...2.50 or something....

I'd imagine that wasn't actually done seeing as paracetamol and ibuprofen are different chemicals and act in different ways.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I mean, why buy Avonmore or Snowcream when Tesco or Dunnes milk is cheaper and also comes from a cow's nipple?

And em what's wrong with mother's milk?

Form 2 queues, < 2 yr old and > 2 yr old. Right who's first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Give this a read if you don't believe me. This is from BBC website, but identical to what's happening here...(interesting that Tesco won't say exactly how much mark up they put on milk)

Who makes money from a pint of milk?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8103119.stm

Quote:
    61p - cost to farmer to produce four pints
    58p - paid to farmer by processor
    3p - farmer's loss
    £1.07 - paid to processor by supermarket
    £1.45 - cost to customer to buy four pints from supermarket

and whatabout all the farming subsidies? Irish milk prices are the highest in Europe, Irish farmers get paid more than their European counterparts, and still they cannot produce it at a profit. Whining whinging moaners. Get on or get out, inefficient IFA/FF lackies. You're worth it.........NOT!

Irish farm produce leaves lots to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Don't get me started on the con that is farming subsidies :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Don't the farmers get up to mischief in supermarkets, picking cheap milk out of the coolers and dumping it randomly on shelves throughout the stores? The cheeky monkeys.

• Advertisement

and whatabout all the farming subsidies? Irish milk prices are the highest in Europe, Irish farmers get paid more than their European counterparts, and still they cannot produce it at a profit. Whining whinging moaners. Get on or get out, inefficient IFA/FF lackies. You're worth it.........NOT!

Irish farm produce leaves lots to be desired.

The subsidies are factored into the costs. Not to turn AH all serious, but if you're interested, the Irish dairy farming situation is explained here! [figures for last year: prices needed to break even [i.e. farmer gets no profit]: 30c/l, average price 2009: 31c/l!] Plus I remember the farmer's journal reporting earlier in the year that the average farm profit last year was E13,000. Thats why smaller dairy farms are pretty much dying out now, farms need to be seriously big to be efficient enough to make a profit.

Anyway, that's pretty much beside the point I was trying to make: Farmers aren't the ones who are rolling in profits from milk - it's big supermarkets like Tesco.

The subsidies are factored into the costs. Not to turn AH all serious, but if you're interested, the Irish dairy farming situation is explained here! [figures for last year: prices needed to break even [i.e. farmer gets no profit]: 30c/l, average price 2009: 31c/l!] Plus I remember the farmer's journal reporting earlier in the year that the average farm profit last year was E13,000. Thats why smaller dairy farms are pretty much dying out now, farms need to be seriously big to be efficient enough to make a profit.

Anyway, that's pretty much beside the point I was trying to make: Farmers aren't the ones who are rolling in profits from milk - it's big supermarkets like Tesco.

Aren't there an awful lot of "hobby" dairy farmers around the country, most of whom have well-paid jobs in teaching, nursing etc., so that they claim tax back on PAYE contributions after farming losses are set off?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Aren't there an awful lot of "hobby" dairy farmers around the country, most of whom have well-paid jobs in teaching, nursing etc., so that they claim tax back on PAYE contributions after farming losses are set off?

Hobby farmers don't produce milk - dairy farming it's a very full time job (milking twice a day, hand rearing calves etc etc). It's normally beef farmers who do the part-time farming thing, as it's a lot less time consuming.

Beginning to feel a bit guilty now for highjacking an AH thread and making it so serious!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

the mother buys Aldi's finest 2 litre's!! It's Strathroy so its technically a bigger brand than it's labeled as!
    Rats milk.

Hobby farmers don't produce milk - dairy farming it's a very full time job (milking twice a day, hand rearing calves etc etc). It's normally beef farmers who do the part-time farming thing, as it's a lot less time consuming.

Beginning to feel a bit guilty now for highjacking an AH thread and making it so serious!! :D

I know several who do.:P

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I know several who do.:P

Well they are by far the exception to the norm. If you know so many dairy farmers I assume you know all about milk prices. If not, why don't you ask them and watch their heads explode! :D

Well they are by far the exception to the norm. If you know so many dairy farmers I assume you know all about milk prices. If not, why don't you ask them and watch their heads explode! :D

Their heads only explode when I play sad violin music, just before I laugh at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kizzle

I want to buy cravendale milk purely for their advertising...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGabt5IHBg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

because my family supply milk to Glanbia and nothing else is allowed into the house!
    used to work for one of their subsidiaries and they charged full price for the milk in the canteen :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I like to pay a tiny bit more (what is it like 30c on a litre?) to our dairy farmers for their high quality product. Large supermarkets bully small farmers into basically selling their produce at a loss.
    I've seen Linwood's milk on sale from €1 to €1.69 for 2L so I know that some shops will pocket at least 69c
    why would people not be willing to pay a few more cents to support irish farmers and buy avonmore/glanbia? put money back into our country and not send it out foreign.
    I have no problem spending a little extra, but not twice the price, espcecially when it's not the farmer who will be keeping most of the price differential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Normal milk I'd buy the cheapest but avonmore have by far the nicest chocolate milk.

Love that stuff. Sometimes I'd substitute it for normal milk in my cereal. Bonus points if the cereal was chocolatey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

looks like we need fair trade milk for ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I don't buy too much organic produce, but I have to buy organic milk otherwise it just tastes like piss to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I can taste the difference between different brands, probably because I drink so much milk. Avonmore is one of the nicest, but I usually won't pay the markup for it. I never really liked Dawn that much, and the lidl/aldi stuff tastes like water. The local spar does 2L for 1.50 and actually tastes nice so thats my standard goto. My favourite would be Lee Strand from back home in Kerry, but you can't get it up in Dublin :( It is a good incentive to go home for a weekend to visit the mammy though. :D

In the end its just a matter of taste, if you like it and its cheap why not. If you are willing to spend more for a 'better' brand, as long as you can taste the difference (or at least think you can) then sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

your drinking the cows milk but when they hook them up to machines to get the milk, sores and cutts occur. They aren't treated cause theres mass amounts, and some puss does get into the milk from these cut.

copy paste.

puss milk. immmmmmm tasty. Avonmore must take this stuff . It is why it is soooo tasty

gsxr1 wrote: »
    your drinking the cows milk but when they hook them up to machines to get the milk, sores and cutts occur. They aren't treated cause theres mass amounts, and some puss does get into the milk from these cut.

copy paste.

puss milk. immmmmmm tasty. Avonmore must take this stuff . It is why it is soooo tasty

I think you might be joking here... but just to reassure the citizens of suburbia, let me just say anyway... most farmers and their families drink their own cow's milk straight from the tank - and trust me they're cute hoors - if they thought there was something dodgy about it, they wouldn't go next or near it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

gsxr1 wrote: »
    This would be very off-putting if, instead of drinking pasteurised, homogenised produce, I was sucking the milk straight out of the cows’ udders.

Sores and cuts? We cut them open and eat their fat and muscle FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I buy Wexford Creamery milk, because I like to support local business, because it tastes better and because cheap milk tastes like it's watered down, which it probably is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

I can taste the difference in milk between brands.

I wonder if you'd be able to tell in a blind-test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I can taste the difference in milk between brands.
    I can smell ya from here...

Advertisement