Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the point to e mobile ?

Options
  • 07-12-2010 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I just dont understand it, Eircom already own 100 percent of meteor so whats the deal with E mobile ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Nobody over 25 goes into a Meteor store unless they're buying credit for their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

What? Where did that assumption came in?

E Mobile is a complimentary mobile network to Eircom and Meteor Customers. Their trying to make a big daddy as some one would say :)

Either way i see E Mobile useless as their not bringing any good deals to the table

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭emo72

i dont get it at all. there prices are nothing special. is it pure advertising thats drawing people in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Kunle wrote: »
    I just dont understand it, Eircom already own 100 percent of meteor so whats the deal with E mobile ?

e-Mobile -> ?? -> Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kunle

It is true that meteor has always been seen as the young peoples network because it was the first to do free texts once you top up by €20 per month but i still dont see the point to e mobile, they are more expensive than meteor and they dont really seem to be marketing for the older market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Meteor market themselves to students 'Meteor-your social network'

They probably want a slice of the business market..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

emo72 wrote: »
    is it pure advertising thats drawing people in?
    KrisW wrote: »
    Nobody over 25 goes into a Meteor store unless they're buying credit for their kids.
    Kunle wrote: »
    It is true that meteor has always been seen as the young peoples network because it was the first to do free texts once you top up by €20 per month but i still dont see the point to e mobile, they are more expensive than meteor and they dont really seem to be marketing for the older marked.

I don't really see what the confusion is (from Eircom's POV). They have Meteor which, as stated above, is traditionally targeted mostly at younger people and is the "cheap" mobile network. There's a whole category of business people that are drawn to the likes of Vodafone, O2 and 3 over Meteor. e-Mobile is Eircom's way of getting into that market. Never underestimate the power of marketing.

Or, from the horse's mouth:
    The way that Meteor is set up means its brand DNA appeals to a young segment and to move beyond that would have been quite challenging. Meteor has expansion left in its own chosen segments and it needs to focus on them, and Eircom mobile needs to focus on expanding in other segments

source: The Irish Times
    they are more expensive than meteor and they dont really seem to be marketing for the older market.
    Um.. have you seen their billboards? Look at the age of the people in them: Meteor's ads are all teenagers; e-Mobile's campaign features mid-thirties and parents with young kids. Same on the websites. If you're not seeing the marketing, you may not be the demographic.

They're not more expensive on bill-pay than Meteor: in my case, Meteor would have been €5/mo more expensive for a lower data allowance, and eMobile gave free fixed-line calls for that price. I suspect that PAYG might be better value on Meteor, because PAYG is the where the majority of the younger market is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Eircom mobile failed for business users, I don't see how renaming yourself emobile would make things any different.

Eircom have a mountain of debt to clear, the only obvious reason for launching an mvno on your own network and moving meteors customers to emobile is if your going to sell meteor. There can be no other reason, i don't buy the line that it's to attract an older users, they could have done that with marketing.

• Advertisement

Reading internet forums, you'll only ever hear about people who've had problems. Eircom have the most customers, and so have the most complaints. This doesn't necessarily mean that "everyone detests" Eircom. I had a service with them for years without problem, but changed when other providers got cheaper for a reliable service. I didn't feel any anger towards them for this.. it wasn't personal for either of us.

e-Mobile is not a MVNO in the strict sense of that definition, because they do own their own network (although I think there's still a cross-roaming deal with O2?). Also, that network is a 3G network, not 2.5G, even if 3G coverage is behind others.

Why would Eircom sell Meteor and keep e-Mobile? This would involve making one or the other an MVNO, which would make them both pretty useless. Eircom made a mistake in selling Eircell to Vodafone, and watched their business phone revenue go mobile - they're hardly going to now sell the only part of their business with growth potential.

The intention is pretty clear, I think: Meteor have a good offering, but have backed themselves into a corner by pursuing the youth market to the point that people my age (mid-30s) see it as a network for teenagers and students, and visiting their stores only reinforces this impression. O2 and VF have pissed off enough customers that Meteor should be profiting, but they're not - because they have this immature image, they're not even on the radar for most people my age.

e-Mobile provides a more grown-up customer experience to what is essentially the same pretty good service, with some adjustments to the plans to accomodate a different age of customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

KrisW wrote: »

e-Mobile provides a more grown-up customer experience to what is essentially the same pretty good service, with some adjustments to the plans to accomodate a different age of customer.

I wouldn't go with(meteor/emobile) over personal;) wind ups i've had with eircom , saying that I wouldn't got with voda or o2 for the same reason am still an landline eircom customer and will continue to be, i've also switched around (bt/vodafone) and in the end you've really no choice to switch back, something i'm not over happy about but it works most of the time. Eircoms/Meteor network should be a lot lot faster considering the time it's been around.

If I wanted an eircom/emobie/eircell/meteor mobile i'd go with meteor as they seem to be hip for young one's:)

I don't get emobile (just because they already have meteor and it's a lot more famous )but the advertising is good and the offers seem great for the average user but so do meteors offers and the meteor advertising is better!!

Has eircom mobile been renamed emobile? if emobile was called eircom mobile it would make a lot more sense to me.

Yep, all "eMobile" now, it seems. It's written that way on the shopfronts, bags, bills, and operator ID on my phone, sometimes with "mobile phone service from eircom" or somesuch on the brochures.

It's precisely the "hip for the kids" thing that they're trying to position themselves away from: I think anyone older than me (mid-thirties) would feel out of place in a Meteor store, as they always seem to be swarming with teenagers, much more so than Vodafone or O2's outlets.

Personally, eMobile and Meteor were the two best deals I got on my phone, with eMobile being better value for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Im not sure what the point to eMobile is. That said, the cost of operating two brands using one infrastructure might not be that much more expensive than having a single brand. Orange and t-mobile are trying this in the UK, with Orange being a "premium" brand and t-mobile being a "budget" one.
    Pre-pay has always been the big thing at Meteor, they have always struggled to capture the post-pay customer, despite multiple owners and strategies. The implication is that Eircom's homework suggested Meteor struggled to gain traction with the older audience. The problem with targeting a younger audience is that they inevitably become older and Meteor needs to be able to pull people off pre-pay and onto post-pay in it's own right. eMobile is not going to be able to solve this.

Advertisement