Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street Parking rant-ish

• 07-12-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

This muncher insists on permanently parking his vehicle outside my parents home. I'm aware of his rights and so is he. He's shouted as much to my mother when she asked him to consider her visiting son (not me) with his triplets.

This is in Dundrum and his road has council type parking permit implemented. So, because he won't pay for his second car, he insists on making life difficult for his neighbours !

Anyone else experience this?

5240813234_22532e289c.jpg

Only solution I can think of is to implement a similar parking regime.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sorry but what's the problem there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sorry but what's the problem there?

The guy with the Fiat is constantly parked outside the house belonging to this posters mother, meaning that family can rarely park outside the house in a convenient manner when they go to visit.

Didn't think it was hard to understand.

Sure, the guy is breaking no law, but I know myself that I don't like others parking outside my house, and I would always try to avoid parking outside other people's houses where possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

That is one ugly car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

We have a similar problem, neighbours son is constantly parked outside our house. It's a cul de sac and parking can be tricky but he refuses to park outside his own house.

The icing on the cake was when my cousin got roared at by his mother for parking outside their house, she was told to move her car because they needed the space for visitors :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I understood Mitch :D

If it's public parking there, and it seems to be, then Mr. Fiat owner or anybody else is quite entitled to park here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Tell your parents to start parking on the road so he sees the spot is being used and finds another.. If its such a big deal!!

rylie wrote: »
    We have a similar problem, neighbours son is constantly parked outside our house. It's a cul de sac and parking can be tricky but he refuses to park outside his own house.

The icing on the cake was when my cousin got roared at by his mother for parking outside their house, she was told to move her car because they needed the space for visitors :eek:

Double standards. Love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tell your parents to start parking on the road so he sees the spot is being used and finds another.. If its such a big deal!!
    Aye, when they know people are visiting, park in the street and let visitors use driveway.
    It's tough but that how public parking works. It was fine as long a people didn't have many cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Tell her to get over it, she doesn't own the public road outside .. or even the footpath for that matter.

I've seen so many situations like this escalate to stupid levels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

OP, is there room in front of the muncher's own house to park his skip?

Does any have anything old they need somewhere to park? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

@keithclancy
    As stated, both parties are aware of relevant rights.

The guy is being unsociable at best. Not very neighbourly to throw your car outside your neighbours because you couldn't be bothered paying to park outside your own - especially when said neighbour has stated her case.

Dades wrote: »
    OP, is there room in front of the muncher's own house to park his skip?

Does any have anything old they need somewhere to park? :D

Yeah - but he'd have to pay a nominal parking fee (for second car) to look at his specimen.

Maybe he just hates the look of it so much that he parks it on another road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lasthope

sorry if I had a car as ulgy as that i wouldn't park it outside my house either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eoghan77

only an a-hole could drive a kip like that :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I would say let the air out of 2 tyres each time but that would be just mean...wouldn't it??? So I won't suggest that......

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

eoghan77 wrote: »
    only an a-hole could drive a kip like that :eek:

Can you park another car there?? Instead of parking your own in the driveway for example park it on street?
    Thats what I'd do anyway.

or if it was getting to me as much as it seems to be getting to you i'd buy an old banger for next to nothing, declare it off the road and just move it when needs be. Job done.

Apparently someone further up the road keyed it after he did the same to them.

or if it was getting to me as much as it seems to be getting to you i'd buy an old banger for next to nothing, declare it off the road and just move it when needs be. Job done.

Declare it off road yet park it on the street ? Wise.

Can you park another car there?? Instead of parking your own in the driveway for example park it on street?
    Thats what I'd do anyway.

The guy has a knack of doing it when no-one is home so first car usually parks in drive on return. Second car has to park anything up to half a road length away (dumping the problem on another neighbour) and visitirs have to go elsewhere normally.

It's a common problem caused mainly by Dundrum S/C workers around the Dundrum area. But this fcuk monkey is a resident who has installed council paid parking to stop said workers causing an issue for him. So he then parks his second car outside ours.

The typical worker problem normally goes away in the evening as staff head home but this guys parking means that car 2 usually cannot park outside his own home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the problem really is in the head of the Householder, who thinks of it as THEIR space. It isnt and if this guy didnt park there, probably someone else would.

The solution is to forget it or move somewhere with more parking available.

(the Fiat driver is an inconsiderate lout to be parking there ALL the time but quite within his rights.)

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    the problem really is in the head of the Householder, who thinks of it as THEIR space. It isnt and if this guy didnt park there, probably someone else would.

The solution is to forget it or move somewhere with more parking available.

(the Fiat driver is an inconsiderate lout to be parking there ALL the time but quite within his rights.)

RIGHTS ARE KNOWN as stated a few times now. edit (but thanks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's a sticky situation.

Personally, I know how his 'rights' allow him to get away with but if it were me at, I wouldn't dream of that kind of obnoxious, anti-social carry on.

This is what happens when mothers pat their little Johnny on the head every day and tell them how special they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I understood Mitch :D

If it's public parking there, and it seems to be, then Mr. Fiat owner or anybody else is quite entitled to park here.

I know - AS I SAID he is breaking no law.

However, to CONSTANTLY park outside one persons house is a bit off.

As i said, i don't like people taking the parking spot outside my house, and I would never look to park up outside someone else's house - I think it is simply a matter of courtesy and common decency.

There are plenty of things you would avoid doing in life despite them not being illegal - just because it is unsociable to do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

E39MSport wrote: »
    Apparently someone further up the road keyed it after he did the same to them.
    Is that really who you want to be? That space is public property, it just happens to be outside your parents house. Just accept it and move on.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Block him in by parking both your cars mm from his front and back bumpers. Take a picture too. If he gets out, he'll have caused damage and you'll have pictures of proof of which car did it. If he wants his "car" back he'll have to knock for it, but unfortunately both your cars are broken down for a few days and can't be moved, or no-one is home with the keys. He'll get the message, and you can't be done for vandalising his "car"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kenmc wrote: »
    Block him in by parking both your cars mm from his front and back bumpers. Take a picture too. If he gets out, he'll have caused damage and you'll have pictures of proof of which car did it. If he wants his "car" back he'll have to knock for it, but unfortunately both your cars are broken down for a few days and can't be moved, or no-one is home with the keys. He'll get the message, and you can't be done for vandalising his "car"
    He'll probably just call the Gardaí, and they won't be siding with the OP.

E39MSport wrote: »
    @keithclancy
    As stated, both parties are aware of relevant rights.

The guy is being unsociable at best. Not very neighbourly to throw your car outside your neighbours because you couldn't be bothered paying to park outside your own - especially when said neighbour has stated her case.

Its not always a case of "couldn't be bothered paying to park outside your own". In cork anyway it can be quite difficult to get a residents parking permit.

Landlord needs to be registered with the PRTB, you need two bills and some other stuff as well, can take ages to get the damn thing also if your apartment already has parking and your rental came with no space then no permit for you either.

You have no entitlement to the space outside your house, If someone parks outside my house I park somewhere else and vice versa, we dont get in a strop over the bit of public property outside our front windows unless its restricting access.

A contributor to alot of this is caused by there just being too many cars / household in Ireland

Anan1 wrote: »
    He'll probably just call the Gardaí, and they won't be siding with the OP.
    Call the guards for what?

I know - AS I SAID he is breaking no law.

However, to CONSTANTLY park outside one persons house is a bit off.

As i said, i don't like people taking the parking spot outside my house, and I would never look to park up outside someone else's house - I think it is simply a matter of courtesy and common decency.

There are plenty of things you would avoid doing in life despite them not being illegal - just because it is unsociable to do them.

No need to shout :D

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is that really who you want to be? That space is public property, it just happens to be outside your parents house. Just accept it and move on.:)

Certainly not (the former that is).

Very difficult to accept though. Has to be done though unless they get paid paking themselves. Apparently the second car belonging to the house can be parked at a reasonable rate.

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

It's illegal to deliberately obstruct another road user on a public road.

They'd probably entertain him to be honest.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I always thought renting a big rig and find out where he lives and park it outside his house for a while was a good idea.

That would work out great, you'd just get a rake of tickets and probably towed away :)

markpb wrote: »
    It's illegal to deliberately obstruct another road user on a public road.
    Prove it was deliberate as opposed to just crap parking by the OPs aging parents :)
    Otherwise don't make it impossible to get out, but make it bloody tough, so that it's not worth his while parking there any more cos it takes him too long to drive away.

Prove it was deliberate as opposed to just crap parking by the OPs aging parents :)
    Otherwise don't make it impossible to get out, but make it bloody tough, so that it's not worth his while parking there any more cos it takes him too long to drive away.

... she's creamed the pillar enough times to not have much difficulty there ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

OP you could lobby the council to implement the paid for parking on your road? I know the road you are talking about and parking in the general Dundrum SC/Luas area is a nightmare.

There is nowhere for people to park, it costs too much to park in Dundrum SC, the Luas park and ride is full at 8.00am, despite it supposedly being for Luas ticket holders. Only way out is for your road to have parking restrictions introduced otherwise anyone is entitled to park there.

If he ever parks it awkwardly call the Guards, they will issue a ticket if it's making life difficult for your access.

DLR Co Co have caused this problem granting permission for the centre to be built without sufficient parking available. Get them to solve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dcmraad

Rent a big skip for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

dcmraad wrote: »
    Rent a big skip for a month

This:D or just get your parents to park there instead, simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I had this before, a 98 passat (ugh hate them) was parked outside my house for a week, and not moved, so I went to the garda station, told them nobody on my road owns it and i reckon its stolen, garda told me its registered to a owner 2 miles away, garda makes phone call, car is gone a hour later. Some people are just plain weird/gob****es/muppets/****.

If the garda wont sort it, get a mate who is a mechanic to lend you some of those castors that garages put under car wheels to move parked cars. Jack up that scaldy multipla then, move it to where ever you like, actually maybe outside his house, then call the council and get him a ticket. Then park your parents car outside your house. Sorted.

Plus side is that hell look like a right twat complaining that you moved it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kona wrote: »
    If the garda wont sort it, get a mate who is a mechanic to lend you some of those castors that garages put under car wheels to move parked cars. Jack up that scaldy multipla then, move it to where ever you like, actually maybe outside his house, then call the council and get him a ticket. Then park your parents car outside your house. Sorted.
    Okay so it's never going to happen, but that would be just class. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 AndyPanty

Same as some estates get council to pass a Bye Law to prevent driving through estate at rush hour. I wish I could get my council to pass a bye Law to stop parking on MY GRASS outside MY HOUSE. Get a life or a skip cool.gif.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

AndyPanty wrote: »
    Same as some estates get council to pass a Bye Law to prevent driving through estate at rush hour. I wish I could get my council to pass a bye Law to stop parking on MY GRASS outside MY HOUSE. Get a life or a skip cool.gif.

Shouldnt be parked on the grass anyways, its not a road. makes the place look **** too, when you have tyre marks all over the place, anybody living in north Dublin have a look at brookwood avenue, its a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 AndyPanty

I don't park on the grass, I cut the grass (for the council) and others park on it. (The Gatso Van parked on the grass caught fire)smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifconfused.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

can he not park in his own driveway? or does he have two cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

lasthope wrote: »
    sorry if I had a car as ulgy as that i wouldn't park it outside my house either :)

Unless the house was really ugly, in which case the car mightn't stand out so much

Advertisement