Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Klingons Joining the Federation

Options
  • 07-12-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭

Watching ST:TNG yesterday, ep where Picard is on shuttle with Wesley going to have his heart replaced.

At one point Wes make the throw away remark "that was before the Kligons joined the Federation."

Now maybe its just cos he's a ****in moron but what the hell? How'd they manage to mention that but totally disregard it from then on...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Joined the Federation in some way or another rather than actually signed up to become a member of the Federation. It's like two countries joining up to invade another or defend against another rather than two countries merging to become one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What a **** episode.

But as above, i'd say he meant it as in joined the Federation in peace, rather then as an actual member.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Kiith wrote: »
    What a **** episode.

But as above, i'd say he meant it as in joined the Federation in peace, rather then as an actual member.

while I accept that as the likely proper reasoning its kind of a cop out too looking back. Every other planet shown to have "joined" the federation became a member of it

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Watching ST:TNG yesterday, ep where Picard is on shuttle with Wesley going to have his heart replaced.

At one point Wes make the throw away remark "that was before the Kligons joined the Federation."

Now maybe its just cos he's a ****in moron but what the hell? How'd they manage to mention that but totally disregard it from then on...

My guess is that the writers still weren't sure what direction they were thinking of taking the Federation/Klingon storyline and this was thrown in during that phase because they were moving towards the membership idea. I also remember one scene in either 'Matter of honour' or 'Heart of glory' when they recieved a Klingon transmission and in the background you could see a combined Federation and Klingon banner. I suppose you could now say that this was just a courtesy of the Klingons when dealing with the Federation but I suspect at the time of writing and filming, they were intending to have the Klingons as full members of the Federation.

Advertisement