Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland (365online / ATM) issues anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 murraytallaght

anybody who withdrew money and hasnt got money to pay it back enjoy your 240 hours community service or suspended sentance(whatever the judge decides to give you)and dont forget to cut your court hearing details out of the local paper and stick it on the fridge,free money haha its actually free slave labour make sure you spongers get all the graffiti off them walls i wanna see nothing but concrete haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭The Rooster

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I was in liffey valley shopping, I put €40 in and €600 came out. Im only 16 so if they do find out can they still charge me back. (When I was signing up I was told that I could not go into unauthorized overdraft)

I had €200 in it at the time, this was before I knew about everything !!

Big difference between this situation where there is no fault or bad intention with the customer, compared to the situation where someone has deliberately taken out €300 when they know they have little or nothing in their account.

In this case its likely they will realise the mistake, but they should not charge you interest or surcharges. Keep a regular eye on your account over the next couple of weeks and as soon as the €600 is debited, make sure to give it back straight away - and if there is an automatic charge, make sure to ring up to get it removed. What I'd do is lodge the money back in straight away, so its sitting there if/when the bank call on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Yeah their arms must be sore from moving all that paper around their desk. You must be the union rep for your branch yeah? Considering staff were dumb enough to keep pushing mortgages onto people who couldn't afford them which led us to the mess the Irish banking system is in. Considering no staff bothered to speak about the lack of regulation, the off-book accounting going on, the fraudulent activities.

Go pick up your P45. You and your ilk are a disgrace.

this really is for a different thread, but i couldn't resist.

Do You have a mortgage? Did you go to the bank and apply for it with a house in mind or did they ring you up one day and say "Hi Eamonn, there is a house on 123 Sucker Street that we spotted. Now i know that you are earning tuppence ha'penny, but we're going to force you to take out a mortgage for 1 squillion euro-bucks, and tough nellies if you don't want it"?

The people who got mortgages they couldn't afford are the people wh thought they'd be able to buy a house, and flip it for a bigger house in a few months time.
    YES the banks made bad decisions, but in NO CASE was anyone pushed into taking a mortgage. It's not as if the banks sent the boys around to beat the snot out of you if you didn't want a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,502 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

365 still not fixed, stupid BOI, I can't print off transactions to claim expenses in work :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

gatecrash wrote: »
    this really is for a different thread, but i couldn't resist.

Do You have a mortgage? Did you go to the bank and apply for it with a house in mind or did they ring you up one day and say "Hi Eamonn, there is a house on 123 Sucker Street that we spotted. Now i know that you are earning tuppence ha'penny, but we're going to force you to take out a mortgage for 1 squillion euro-bucks, and tough nellies if you don't want it"?

The people who got mortgages they couldn't afford are the people wh thought they'd be able to buy a house, and flip it for a bigger house in a few months time.
    YES the banks made bad decisions, but in NO CASE was anyone pushed into taking a mortgage. It's not as if the banks sent the boys around to beat the snot out of you if you didn't want a mortgage.

You should have resisted.

Why were banks here offering 100% mortgages? Why would they offer these mortgages when it is plainly clear that if you are getting a 100% mortgage than any chance in interest rates, personal circumstances will more than likely lead to the consumer defaulting? Who put it in the Irish psyche that you are nothing if you do not own a home? Who sent out credit card with limits of €3000+ to people in the post and then asked you to return it if you didn't want it? These banks preyed on the people who didn't know what they were getting themselves into. They had no knowledge of how the financial system worked. The banks made hay while the sun shined and screwed, as stepbar likes to call them and for want of a better word, idiots. Is it right that the Irish banking system offered products to people who they knew couldn't afford them, who didn't know what they were getting themselves into and who in all likely hood would not be able to make their repayments?

This is for another thread. If yourself and steph want an education lesson on how the Irish banking system screwed the country you should open a new thread and I'm sure there will be more than enough people to tell you the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

sorry me again - this morning firefox won't allow me to log into banking 365.
    Reported Web Forgery!

It comes up with this message - Im sure it's alright but????

"This web page at www365online.com has been reported as a web forgery and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Web forgeries are designed to trick you into revealing personal or financial information by imitating sources you may trust.

Entering any information on this web page may result in identity theft or other fraud."

I don't want to be putting in my details only to find there is a real problem that we're not being made fully aware of?

anyone advise?

People applied for mortgages.
    People decided they could afford the mortgages.
    People thought they'd make a quick buck off loading their already overpriced house to someone else starting out.

I totally accept the bank made errors, and bad decisions, and people got mortgages who probably shouldn't have got them, BUT THOSE PEOPLE STILL APPLIED FOR THE MORTGAGES.

There are people who got stupid mortgages who are complaining about the size of those mortgages, and are now blaming the banks for their own decisions. No one put a gun to someone's head and said you must take out a mortgage. There was a lack of education about the mythical property ladder, and people thought they needed to get on it.

Now the same people who applied for AND ACCEPTED THE TERMS OF the mortgages are giving out because they can't afford them.

There is an element of the "Someone should have stopped me" in this society these days and no one wants to accept responsibility for their own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Keep this on topic folks, and drop the personal attacks. Infractions/bans will be handed out if you can't keep it civil and to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I was in liffey valley shopping, I put €40 in and €600 came out. Im only 16 so if they do find out can they still charge me back.

Yes, of course they can. Bring the money back in today, and lodge it back to your account. Tell them that you had only asked for €40, and they should waive any charge for going over the limit, as it was their mistake and you are trying to correct it. If you've already spent the money, or have no intention of bringing it back, then criminal charges could follow.
    How they going to catch people who dont use the account anymore and they dont live at the regiestered address anymore like my friend, he took out 700 so what happens.

Debt collectors will hound you for as little as €20, so how do you think it'll go if you owe €700? Fraud is also a criminal offence, and anyone that knowingly took more money than they had, or fails to return it, could face prosecution. Just because the bank doesn't have your current address, doesn't mean they won't be able to find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DBF

Hi Everyone,

On a slightly different, but related note...
    A person from my office used an ATM in Dun Laoghaire last week and their card was skimmed and later €960 was taken from their account. The reason I am highlighting this here is that I then went to check my account balance online to make sure the same thing hadn't happened to me... but of course I couldn't because the system is down.
    So whenever it is fixed I would advise everyone to check their accounts, it seems there are mistakes happening in both directions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

From RTE.ie:

"All monies will have to be repaid and will result in a 'minor unauthorised overdraft situation'.

The Consumers' Association of Ireland has said affected Bank of Ireland customers are liable to repay the money, but they should not be subject to interest or penalties."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Day 2 - no 365online at all today. Bit of a joke really, they've had 24 hours now to fix this, or at least say "we expect it to be fully rectified by Xpm on Yday". Isn't this the reason we pay charges etc - so that we can have 24/7 365 access to our money? While it appears people with no money were availing of the situation in Dublin, people I know in Cork had 20euro between them after queing at the ATM, then trying the counter and being told to come back tomorrow.

I have a few squids to keep me going, but worried about payday (+ bonus) on Thursday night / Friday morning - will it disappear into the ether?

Why do I always pick the companies with crap IT policies and systems? Transferred my electricity to Bord Gais right at the start and they gave my details to scammers on an unencrypted laptop. This really is a half-assed country...

I fully expect people who were walking a thin financial line to be absolutely bolloxed by this screw up, and of course it takes a while to dig yourself back up - Merry Christmas from BoI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

dobsdave wrote: »
    From RTE.ie:

"All monies will have to be repaid and will result in a 'minor unauthorised overdraft situation'.

The Consumers' Association of Ireland has said affected Bank of Ireland customers are liable to repay the money, but they should not be subject to interest or penalties."

I was quite surprised at the naivity of Dermot Jewell in relation to this matter The way he came accross that these withdrawals were innocent and that there is a consumer crusade to be fought. OK, so there will be a few people who thought they had 200 and actually had 187.50 and go into overdraft. Fair enough, I'm sure that the bank will be sympathetic.

However, the vast majority of people in those queues were there to take money they thought would be untraceable. In effect to steal money. They knowingly went and did it. The chances of anybody in those queues that was a genuine customer is slim to nil. If you you were, wouldn't you go the next ATM?

Anyway, it's not theft until they don't pay it back so it looks like the debt collectors are going to have a busy winter. Anybody who thinks they are untraceable is deluding themselves - for most the account is probably at their own address anyway (how stupid was that). In any case, the banks tend to be quite clubby on these matters - none of them want this to happen to them. I speculate that they will be looking a little carefully who suddenly want to open new accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Darraghnormal

langdang wrote: »
    Day 2 - no 365online at all today. Bit of a joke really, they've had 24 hours now to fix this, or at least say "we expect it to be fully rectified by Xpm on Yday". Isn't this the reason we pay charges etc - so that we can have 24/7 365 access to our money? While it appears people with no money were availing of the situation in Dublin, people I know in Cork had 20euro between them after queing at the ATM, then trying the counter and being told to come back tomorrow.

I have a few squids to keep me going, but worried about payday (+ bonus) on Thursday night / Friday morning - will it disappear into the ether?

Why do I always pick the companies with crap IT policies and systems? Transferred my electricity to Bord Gais right at the start and they gave my details to scammers on an unencrypted laptop. This really is a half-assed country...

I fully expect people who were walking a thin financial line to be absolutely bolloxed by this screw up, and of course it takes a while to dig yourself back up - Merry Christmas from BoI?

Feel for ya there buddy, i was workin for Bord Gais when that happened, there was chaos in the office, plonkers leavin the laptops just sittin on a desk in an unlocked office, load of tom dick and harry imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

Isnt it such a coincidence that Bank of Ireland get these 'technical' problems the same day that an unofficial Pan-European Bank Run was supposed to occur!! Yes,my belief is that BOI purposely made this fault to happen so to divert any bank run,whereby everyone would take their money out of the banks and screw them up just like what they have done to us!!Nobody could withdraw more than 200euro and even this went into a somewhat overdraft situation for the costumer!! As something like this system failure hasnt happened over the last number of years i reckon BOI knew what they were dong when the system went down!!
    http://bankrunwatch.blogspot.com/
    They were making sure they were not going to get toppled over by the people!!!And that is my conspiracy theory about the whole issue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hope this is fixed soon. I paid for a purchase yesterday evening for a few hundred quid, went home checked my online banking, BOI had credited ny accounnt for the amount instead of debiting it. Very odd but i am sure it will be rectified soon.

Anyone that asked for, say, €300, and received €300, which put them into overdraft will of course be easily traced and asked for the money back.

However, people who asked for say €50, but received €300 - that's much harder to trace, and for sure, people have gotten away with such bank errors before.

I dunno, i'd say the machine will have a record of what was dispensed internally.

Something similar happened a while back, where lads servicing one of the machines put 50's into the 20 slot (or something like that) and the bank was able to track that money down

Weird..... boards seems to have been afflicted with something similar....posts being deleted!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭j_lennon18

Realtine wrote: »
    sorry me again - this morning firefox won't allow me to log into banking 365.
    Reported Web Forgery!

It comes up with this message - Im sure it's alright but????

"This web page at www365online.com has been reported as a web forgery and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Web forgeries are designed to trick you into revealing personal or financial information by imitating sources you may trust.

Entering any information on this web page may result in identity theft or other fraud."

I don't want to be putting in my details only to find there is a real problem that we're not being made fully aware of?

anyone advise?

Your URL is incorrect. It should be www.365online.com, not www365online.com.

But it doesn't matter because the website is down because of an IT issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

It's hilarious that people will think they will get away with this or somehow are entitled to the money. They will track down everybody for every last cent. The ATM's have internal counters and have a record of the card entered, account number, amount requested, the amount that was dispensed and the time it was dispensed. It's unlikely that the bank will charge people interest straight away as there is always the potential there for genuine mistakes. However, for the cowboys withdrawing €500 which they clearly knew they didn't have should be charged interest as it is fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

after being over at BOI earlier, and i can say that there is nothing wrong with financial account details. They know how much you have, what was withdrawn and when. Confirmed by looking at my own account which was right up to date. So to anyone looking for a few free euro, dont' bother.

The issue seems to be with authentication against the accounts. The guy at the desk told me it was quicker to confirm who i was with ID, as using PIN would take several minutes. This would suggest to me that there's a problem with user account information, and authenticating against the financial side of things. or, it could be just that with a failure, the entire load has been shifted to a handful of servers which is slowing up everything. Went as far to admit that they didn't know much, which is fair as customer facing folk are rarely told anything by the higher ups, but did suggest that BOI IT themselves were unsure of what exactly has happened. Absolutely no estimated fix time. He said there was no reason why DDs, standing orders, or any other payments wouldn't go through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

My online banking with BoI is working fine but I did notice this...

http://www.365online.ie/ gets me to the login link page

http://www.365online.com/ which used to work still gets me the IMPORTANT CUSTOMER MESSAGE: MAJOR IT ISSUE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

My online banking with BoI is working fine but I did notice this...

http://www.365online.ie/ gets me to the login link page

http://www.365online.com/ which used to work still gets me the IMPORTANT CUSTOMER MESSAGE: MAJOR IT ISSUE
    lol! someone forgot to put the message up everywhere :D
    Never copped there was a .ie, i always seemed to get redirected to a .com!
    just logged in and it's grand. just a bit longer to load than normal

[edit] i notice transaction information before 26 Nov is missing.

It seems to be working the opposite way around for me!
    The .com link is working, the .ie one gives the message that there's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sean55

I got the same 'important message' about 30 mins ago. On-line banking is now back up, but very slow.Remember to clear your cookies before trying again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭j_lennon18

DBF wrote: »
    It seems to be working the opposite way around for me!
    The .com link is working, the .ie one gives the message that there's a problem.

The .ie eventually brings you to https://www.365online.com/banking.htm after you click login.

Its very slow for me but works. :pac:

The .ie doesn't even give me the option to log in, just the "IMPORTANT CUSTOMER MESSAGE: MAJOR IT ISSUE" text comes up! At least the .com link is working, great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Without knowing what caused their system outages, do you think it is safe to use their online banking now that it is just back up seemingly?

For all we know, their systems were down due to an attack/hackers.
    Or who knows if all their security systems/measures are back running fully/properly.
    Or anything like that could be an issue.

Am i being paranoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

HI all,

Could it be this "Blank of Ireland" book thing? I hear they want BOI out of the country by 25th Dec. The claim BOI is English & the profits go there. I have savings but I also have mortgage too. I am a little worried any one know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

gar32 wrote: »
    HI all,

Could it be this "Blank of Ireland" book thing? I hear they want BOI out of the country by 25th Dec. The claim BOI is English & the profits go there. I have savings but I also have mortgage too. I am a little worried any one know?

Hah?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Blank of Ireland look it up. You are using the Internet :)

Advertisement