Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to water a tree ?

• 07-12-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Happy Xmas :)

I have a screw in base for the xmas tree, just a basic four legs and a large screw that goes into the base of the tree. I was ment to get one which hold water but couldnt get out of the house.

Anyway, no room under the stand so just wondering if there is any other way I could water it ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

no bowl? maybe put a saucer under with some water in it....alternatively find someone to lift it while you slde a bow underneath....dont think there is many other ways to water a tree :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think you'll need to get one of those stands and do a stand-transplant. I can't think of anything else, unless you get a VERY sturdy plastic sack that you can wrap around the whole base (like those bouqets of flowers you see) But that could end in tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

yea, was thinking somthing like that but its a huge tree and very heavy !! im thinking, angled drill holes and fill with plastic cones and top up with water hmmmmmm ill keep thinking ..thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

A wet/damp cloth or towel around the base ??? mmm this is tricky :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Excuse my ignorance - do you need to water the Christmas tree? I am getting my first real one this year (since I was a kid that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

well they suggest you do as they can drink up to a gallon a day, which helps it to stay fresh, keep it from drooping and not dry out which can be a fire hazard !! We remembered to get a water base but just couldnt get to shop !!

Anyway, just to update, I got a very large foil tray, pressed it flat, slipped it under the stand and then turned the sides up as high as i could ! base is now in water. Thanks Olaola, you gave me the idea of the bouqets, but i just made it a little studier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You should really cut about 2cm off the bottom of the tree so it will suck the water up. This DOES make a diff, cos himself insisted on not doing this last year and it didn't end well. Or if you can't do that, drill a few holes up into the tree - helps it suck up the water.

Advertisement