Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preserving Fruit & Veg

Options
  • 07-12-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good website with tips on how to preserve fruit and veg?

I have recently started an allotment in Turvey and I hope to have surpluses next year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Are you planning to save seed or food?
    I do a lot of pickling and fermenting to preserve food, but that of course kills off the seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Hopefully food. I just want to know where to start.

Potatos and other veg like turnip, swede and beets can be stored in clamps on the allotment, not all that hard. http://www.selfsufficientish.com/clamp.htm

Another option is to recycle old paper potato sacks or get hessian or jute sacks, very easy to find on ebay
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=vegetable+sack&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Parsnip and leek can be left in the ground until required, as are certain carrots.

For home storage the main thing is to have a cool, dry, dark storage space like a shed.

A layered sand box is another option, with newspaper wrapped around the roots prior to storage.
    I use sand storage for things like potatos I want to grow next year, the unusual types like Mr Little Yetholm gypsy and Oca

ons3.jpg
    Onions and garlic are lifted and dried in the autumn, then just pleat up and store in a dry dark cool place.

For jam making, pickling and fermenting food I have covered a lot on the blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Leave stuff in the ground there is always the chance of a mishap of some kind happening to your veg.

If the fruit and veg is harvested and processed preferably in the freezer then there is only one mishap and your house insurance should sort than one out.

Anything like spuds, get em up, clean em and box them.

I think a good site is this one www.grow-your-own.ie which has new stuff added all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Zuiderzee wrote: »

For jam making, pickling and fermenting food I have covered a lot on the blog.

I'm not sure what blog you mean

• Advertisement

Link in siganature

Advertisement