If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please picking a sound system for a strange house setup..

Options
  • 06-12-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been asked to assist my family in setting up there surround system but the house they bought has a strange home cinema setup already and I'm not sure exactly what they need to complete it.

Firstly here are some pics of the setup they have built into their sitting room.
    • In the ceiling they have muiltiple speakers like this SEE First pic.
    • And behind the TV they have multiple connections See second pic.

Will a simple Amp like this do the job ?
    http://us.marantz.com/products/2926.asp#

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Hi there,

Could someone from Richersounds have a look at the setup in my sisters place as set out in the post above and see if my selection will work with their house ?

Many thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Muppetkiller,

I've copied over the relevant post into your thread here and "adjusted" your post - easier to keep all the info here :)

Cheers,

Ritz.

Thanks Ritz :D

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi all,
    I've been asked to assist my family in setting up there surround system but the house they bought has a strange home cinema setup already and I'm not sure exactly what they need to complete it.

Firstly here are some pics of the setup they have built into their sitting room.
    • In the ceiling they have muiltiple speakers like this SEE First pic.
    • And behind the TV they have multiple connections See second pic.

Will a simple Amp like this do the job ?
    http://us.marantz.com/products/2926.asp#

Thanks for your help.

Muppetkiller,

many thanks for the post & apologies for the delay getting back to you.

Yep your choice is actually spot on - that Marantz NR1501 is a really under rated receiver and is really an excellent sounding piece of kit - it's also a great price at just £329.95 - However..... I can do a really great price on the even better Marantz NR1601 which has a better spec for just £389.95.

From the picture I can only see 4 sets of speaker connections - hopefully you have another one for the centre speaker??

You should also budget for a subwoofer - this will really enhance the sound and you can get a decent one for under £100 - again you will need some speaker cable & plugs to allow you to connect into that faceplate in the picture - I will happily do you a system price for the whole lot.

Finally if you could take another pic for us of the whole wall-plate - I should be able to tell you exactly what cables & plugs you need to get you up and running and from a quick look there may be speakers in other rooms that also connect into that plate - also what sources (ie satellite do yo need to connnect) if you want to have a dig around and see if there is any other zones connected I'll do my best to get a suggested system for you at a really keen Boardie price,

Thanks as ever,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John for the info here's a pic of what's hidden behind it all :D

• Advertisement

What about the Home Cinema System 2 on http://www.richersounds.com/information/home-cinemasystems ?
    Would that be a decent setup ? I could always take the speakers myself if they've got the inbuilt ones.

Also looking for a 26inch Sony tv too. So if you can do a nice deal on both I'd appreciate it :D

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

HI Muppetkiller.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you regarding the questions in this post.

John has been super flat out over the Last few days :(

I will leave a note with my collegue Dave so that he can have a read over the post in the morning and see if he can help further to get you sorted with something that would suit.

I did have a look at the pictures and they scared me as I have not seen anything like that before :eek:

Both Dave and John have much more experience than me with this type of equipment - Sorry :(

np ..thanks for the update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Muppett.

Can you tell me, are all your speakers in the one room or are they dotted around the house ?

The home cinema systems that you are looking at, are designed around the fact that all the speakers are in the one room.

Are you looking to get a home cinema system for one room or are you trying to get sound throughout the house ?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's quite difficult to tell the layout from the pictures.

Cheers

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

np ..thanks for the update

Muppet,

would you like to drop me your contact number (in a PM or to johnmc@richersounds.ie) & we will have a chat and I'll do my best to advise you

ATB,

J

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.