Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer for Dummies...

• 07-12-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Just briefly, I'm a mum with an 8yr old who until the world cup this summer, never kicked a ball. To say he is now obsessed, would be an understatement:D Santy is only bringing soccer stuff in 18 days (everything else from cars to wrestlers have been ignored for months now).

Anyway, he's joined a team with DDSL and loving it. While I grew up in a house full of soccer, and quite like it, I realised I've alot to learn and am wondering how best to do it? This might sound like a bit of a stupid post but honestly, I'm learning bits & pieces online (he's a Man U fan & Real Madrid fan) but I still don't know enough and I really, really want to learn more so I know what he's talking about.

For example, on a Sunday morning at 10am, when I've driven 24 miles for a match and the dads on the sideline are roaring 'Skill him' or 'Skin him' (I don't know what they're saying! - what does that mean exactly:confused::confused:), I haven't a clue what they mean. And when they roar at him to change position, I never have a clue why:confused: I don't want to sound like the mother who hasn't a clue on the sideline, so usually I just roar 'Go on..go on...!!':P

So will I just learn all this as time goes by and I keep going to the matches, or is there a Quickfix way for me to learn:D

Have stuck a few posts up here, and received great help from loads of posters, so would really appreciate any advice ye can offer, Cheers:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The fact he supports United means you've already done a wonderful job rearing your son, you should be very proud.;)

From my limited experience of parents on sidelines at kids matches the vast majority haven't a bulls notion what they're on about anyway, even if they sound like they're shouting the right things. As long as you're there to support him in a non-critical way, that all any kid can ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Skin him means slap him on the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Ush1 wrote: »
    Skin him means slap him on the arse.

Seriously...what does it mean:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Fittle wrote: »

:D

From one female to another here, it means get the ball by him and leave him eating your dust.

It means run at him and if possible, past him.

My advice would be not to shout anything at him. If he does something well maybe clap and say well done. If he looks discouraged or tired, some small words of encouragement to keep him going.

Generally parents shouting at kids during a match is cringe worthy and detrimental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It means to go past him, usually with the ball.

Best thing to do really is sit down and watch games with him. Listen to the commentators and get a grasp of some of the basic lingo. That will help you out. The fact that you're interacting with him at the same time will help as he'll love being able to discuss the game with you afterwards.

Also maybe take him to a League of Ireland game so he can experience football in person as a spectator. He will either love the experience as I did or maybe he'll hate it as there aren't any 'superstars' playing. There will however be kids his own age, and his own club might even have an affiliation with a League of Ireland club for tickets etc.

The important thing really at his age is not to cut off any avenues for football, and if you can go down those avenues with him then all the better.

You'll be surprised at how much you even pick up from him as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Who's gonna be the brave soul to explain the offside rule? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Most Dad's there wont no any more than you :D

It's nice to hear you're wanting to learn. A knowledgeable parent can make all the difference in a kids development at that age, because our grassroots falls short. At his age I wouldn't worry to much about positions and tactics, get him working on his technique, that's where most Irish kids fall short. The BBC has different videos on developing certain skills and tricks.

Wikipedia is a decent place to start for the basics you may be unsure of, UEFA's training ground site has some pretty good resources to, some of the stuff would be quite advanced but there are some nice video overviews of the basic formations and different roles on the pitch. This site is quite comprehensive too: www.bettersoccermorefun.com but it's not the most accessible.

Who's gonna be the brave soul to explain the offside rule? :)

She has already said she understands it, so that's an excellent start!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It means to go past him, usually with the ball.

Best thing to do really is sit down and watch games with him. Listen to the commentators and get a grasp of some of the basic lingo. That will help you out. The fact that you're interacting with him at the same time will help as he'll love being able to discuss the game with you afterwards.

Also maybe take him to a League of Ireland game so he can experience football in person as a spectator. He will either love the experience as I did or maybe he'll hate it as there aren't any 'superstars' playing. There will however be kids his own age, and his own club might even have an affiliation with a League of Ireland club for tickets etc.

The important thing really at his age is not to cut off any avenues for football, and if you can go down those avenues with him then all the better.

You'll be surprised at how much you even pick up from him as well.

Honestly guys, I had no clue how much impact football can have on a child. This lad would be the most easily distracted child in the world - in school and at home. To the point where I had him assessed only last year, to see if he was on some 'spectrum' or other (there are so many spectrums these days:rolleyes:). Anyway, he's 'normal' thankfully....

But the improvement in his everday life since he took an interest in footie is ASTOUNDING! We've been to the Aviva a few times now (he decided he's a Sligo Rovers fan after that match:)), and he'll sit and watch a match from start to finish and want to talk to me about it all over again, when it's over. His behaviour has improved a hundred-fold (he was a good kid anyway, but is 100% more focussed on everything now)... He has learned SO much about team work and discipline from his two fab coaches at footie...

Why does it not say ANYTHING about the importance of football in a young boys life in any of the hundreds of books I've read about ways to help him concentrate more:confused::confused:

I like the idea of bringing him to League of Ireland matches...any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No one should be roaring at kids lpaying football at that age, tbh. Encourage them when they don't do things well, and praise the things they do well. Too much shouting only confuses them probably, especially if they are not used to playing on a team.

Then again, as a Man U, Real, and Ronaldo fan, he deserves loads of abuse ;)

Edit, he gets back some credit for the Sligo Rovers fan bit though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

will the LoI gestapo be happy with the fact that hes in dublin but supporting sligo?

pretty much what xavi6 said is spot on though. my mum didnt have much of a clue but between her and my other mates mums who took us to the games, it was always good to be supported.. even if we were getting beat 9 - 0 by the league leaders :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I like the idea of bringing him to League of Ireland matches...any recommendations?

What part of Dublin are you from as there are a number of options?

Jazzy wrote: »
    will the LoI gestapo be happy with the fact that hes in dublin but supporting sligo?

pretty much what xavi6 said is spot on though. my mum didnt have much of a clue but between her and my other mates mums who took us to the games, it was always good to be supported.. even if we were getting beat 9 - 0 by the league leaders :p

That's what's happening too I'm afraid...last match was 12-2:(. You should hear me trying to convince him the other team only scored 9:D AND telling him 'it's all about the game...' ANd mentioning not to tell the lad on the road the score (this lad wins every match, ever week 10-0.....except of course, he doesn't:rolleyes:)

He had a shamrock rovers scarf on going to the Aviva and knew nowt about league of ireland soccer...half way through he decided that sligo were a better team, and that if he lived in sligo, could we go to their matches every week mammy:D

I'm from Dublin 9, so northside....

While I get that there are fans of loi teams here who might suggest one team over the other, please keep in mind that we know nothing about loi, have no affiliation with any team (my dad and his family weren't even soccer fans) etc etc. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

mars bar wrote: »
    She has already said she understands it, so that's an excellent start!

Ooops didnt see that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

He had a shamrock rovers scarf on going to the Aviva and knew nowt about league of ireland soccer...half way through he decided that sligo were a better team, and that if he lived in sligo, could we go to their matches every week mammy:D

At the risk of a shameless plug, Tallaght for the Rovers games is a good experience for kids. There is a dedicated family section (no cussing allowed), a mascot, a Junior Hoops club, and often things like facepainting and baloons from the sponsors and a range of food and drink options from chipper through pizzas and noodles, and thats just in the ground. €7 in for junior. There are thousands of the little blighters bouncing around the place these days.

Also on the Luas, loads of parking etc.

At the risk of a shameless plug, Tallaght for the Rovers games is a good experience for kids. There is a dedicated family section (no cussing allowed), a mascot, a Junior Hoops club, and often things like facepainting and baloons from the sponsors and a range of food and drink options from chipper through pizzas and noodles, and thats just in the ground. €7 in for junior. There are thousands of the little blighters bouncing around the place these days.

Also on the Luas, loads of parking etc.

Is it near the luas when you get off in tallaght? He was mad about Hooperman I must say...like the idea of a dedicated family section;)

Is it near the luas when you get off in tallaght? He was mad about Hooperman I must say...like the idea of a dedicated family section;)

5 minute walk from the Luas stop.

Tell him Shamrock Rovers won the league, forget Sligo!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

As someone who has been on all sides of this from being the child, to managing children, to supporting my own child let me tell you this.

If you never picked up a word of lingo or understood anything about the game, simply turning up and giving him your support puts you ahead of the majority of parents and will be warmly welcomed. If you can pick up pieces as you go then that's better again, but you're already doing great work by supporting him. Fair play to you.

Iago wrote: »
    As someone who has been on all sides of this from being the child, to managing children, to supporting my own child let me tell you this.

If you never picked up a word of lingo or understood anything about the game, simply turning up and giving him your support puts you ahead of the majority of parents and will be warmly welcomed. If you can pick up pieces as you go then that's better again, but you're already doing great work by supporting him. Fair play to you.

Supporting him!

I haven't seen any of my soaps for months coz all he wants to do is watch Setanta Sports when we get home:D

Thanks;) His dad's not involved...sure any mammy would do the same:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Anyone else wishing Fittle was their mammy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Iago wrote: »

+1

i wouldnt say ye need to know the ins and outs sure thats what the coach is there for at the match just have an interest init and keep supporting him theres nothing better to a child than been encouraged by a parent on the sideline fairplay to you!!

Literally a two minute walk. Head due south, can't miss the place.

It is a good idea to be fair, its also in the main stand so you can get yourself a glass of vino at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

While I get that there are fans of loi teams here who might suggest one team over the other, please keep in mind that we know nothing about loi, have no affiliation with any team (my dad and his family weren't even soccer fans) etc etc. Cheers

Sporting Fingal would be your closest team I'd say, play their games in Santry, and they do great deals for families (family of 2 kids and 2 adults for €25? something along those lines, probably subject to change for next season though), Liam Buckley has them playing decent football aswell, good to look at.

Let him supports who he wants though, always great to have new LOI fans.

Sporting Fingal thread here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055932019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

frantic190 wrote: »
    Sporting Fingal would be your closest team I'd say and they do great deals for families (family of 2 kids and 2 adults for €25? something along those lines, probably subject to change for next season though), Liam Buckley has them playing decent football aswell, good to look at.

Let him supports who he wants though, always great to have new LOI fans.

Sporting Fingal thread here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055932019

considering the child is 8 years old, an empty ground on a cold friday night with no atmosphere is not gonna keep him interested!!! dalymount park was always good for familys but rovers at the minute is the place to be for kids as much as it kills me to say it:(

THere's an LOI team up the road from me???? I could practically walk to Morton Stadium! How did I not know that?? Are they any good???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Kids don't want you to know the ins and outs.

Just bring them along and shell out for whatever he asks for and you'll be the best parent in the world. :)

Fingal are closest by the sounds of it. Then possibly Shels when they go bust in about 2-3 years time. :pac:

major bill wrote: »
    considering the child is 8 years old, an empty ground on a cold friday night with no atmosphere is not gonna keep him interested!!! dalymount park was always good for familys but rovers at the minute is the place to be for kids as much as it kills me to say it:(

So it's a drive to the dart...dart to the luas...and luas to the match...and then return:eek:
    When do they play usually? Saturday or Sunday...he plays his own matches sunday mornings...

THere's an LOI team up the road from me???? I could practically walk to Morton Stadium! How did I not know that?? Are they any good???

They are great to watch, but they have a notoriously low support base. If you want a bit of showbiz as well, they probably aren't the best trip. Friendly club though.

• Advertisement

So it's a drive to the dart...dart to the luas...and luas to the match...and then return:eek:
    When do they play usually? Saturday or Sunday...he plays his own matches sunday mornings...

Friday at 8 or Saturday at 3, depending if the game is on the box.

Most LoI games are Friday evenings.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm Dubin 9 myself and support Bohs, just sayin' ;)

As Frantic said however, Sporting Fingal would be the closest more than likely.

Shelbourne would be close enough too.

Maybe see if any of his friends support someone in the League of Ireland and see if he'd like to get to a few games?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Sporting Fingal won the FAI Cup last year, and did quite well in the league this year.

Seeing as they are the closest, they are the club you should definitely pick for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You know you are now officially a soccer mom, right?

It is great to see you support your son in this and are happy to pick up as much as possible.
    Have to warn you though.
    When i was a kid my mom always went with me when i had to play. She is now 78 and still cant get enough of football and really fanatical as it comes to our hometown team.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Just to reiterate whats been said on here... At this stage encouragement and support is all he needs. And tell him to pay no attention to anyone on the sideline but his coach/manager (most others haven't a clue)! At his age the game should be purely for fun and he will just develop naturally, as he gets older he can begin to learn the more intricate and technical aspects of the game. His seems to be surrounding himself with the game and feeding his brain with enough knowledge as he can get from other sources so all you shuold be doing is keep encouraging him and providing him with the support unit he needs to continue developing.

From a purely footballing point of view in my exeperiences I wish someone had encouraged me to work on my weaker foot when I was younger! My try and encourage him when he is kicking around in the garden or local park to use his weaker foot. It something that he would find much harder to learn as he gets older and will really stand to him if he could learn to use it.

Finally, for the next 3-4 year he will be developing, when he hits 10-11 he will probably start taking things more seriously and this is when he will know his own level and weather he can step up. Again encourage him to always play to the best of his abililty and at as high a level as he can. Come 15/16 things will get fun, this is where I have seen so many lads that could have made it fall down. when the traps of women, drink and everything else that goes with it can come in. If you can keep him on the right track during this period you may have a future superstar on your hands and all of us here on boards.ie can have a share of his first big money move to England :)

Cheers
    Gampdub

PS I'm a Bohs fan too... I wouldn't inflict bohs on anyone right now. If you want him to have low expectations from the team he follows then go with them, he'll probably make his own mind up when he get older anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Fittle.

Your kid doesn't play Soccer.
    That's something Yanks do.

Just call it Football.

(or more pedantically Association Football).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Pal wrote: »
    Fittle.

Your kid doesn't play Soccer.
    That's something Yanks do.

Just call it Football.

(or more pedantically Association Football).

Pal.

Stop trying to threadspoil.
    That's something trolls do.

Just don't say anything if you've nothing helpful to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Can we cap-tie Fittle-jr now? Best of luck to you. Some great points by GampDub about coaching, I've coached his age for the last few years and at the start of the season I have a meeting with the parents to tell them to shut up, that I do the coaching and they're there to transport and encourage the kids. The most important thing is not whether he becomes the next Rooney or Messi but that he has a good time.

Also, what Xavi6 said. There is no substituting for going to a local match and supporting your team. Beats watching the TV any day.

Aw really appreciate the encouragement lads...seriously...hopefully I'll be cheering him on when I'm 78 too:D Wasn't sure if I'd get a right slagging for even putting this thread up, so really, nice one;)

I was chatting to a pals hubbie recently, who mentioned that he was never into football as a kid, and that he still feels he missed out on a huge part of his childhood. Said that even though he'd great friends etc, once the subject of football came up, he was excluded. Said it was no-ones fault, his dad wasn't a fan and he just didn't like it, but looking back (he said) he wished someone had encouraged him a bit more.

So until this summer, I had no clue about the impact of football on a boy....and I'm only delighted that I have a boy - I couldn't be coping with all those dolls and pink stuff;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Just to reiterate what has been said. The dads shouting from the sidelines are probably more confusing than anything else for the kids.

Something that's really important in kids development in football actually sounds counter-intuitive: they don't need to worry about winning or being competitive or tactically disciplined or anything like that. The real important thing for the young kids is learning the skills with the ball. The vast majority of the world superstars grew up playing lots of informal football with their friends and on their own. In places like Brazil, Argentina and Spain where they have the most successful youth development, they really minimise the focus on big, competitive games for the kids.

I would also suggest that you always encourage him to try out any tricks and skills that take his fancy, whether he's out in the street on his own or in the middle of a game with his team. The shouting dads might not like it (because they are too concerned with winning), and even his coach might not like it (depending on what type of coach he is), but when you think about it, if he doesn't experiment with the skills he won't learn how to do them and when to use them. When he's older - say in his teens - he can pick up the winning mentality and seriousness to add to his skills.

Best of luck with it all.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Just to reiterate what has been said. The dads shouting from the sidelines are probably more confusing than anything else for the kids.

Something that's really important in kids development in football actually sounds counter-intuitive: they don't need to worry about winning or being competitive or tactically disciplined or anything like that. The real important thing for the young kids is learning the skills with the ball. The vast majority of the world superstars grew up playing lots of informal football with their friends and on their own. In places like Brazil, Argentina and Spain where they have the most successful youth development, they really minimise the focus on big, competitive games for the kids.

I would also suggest that you always encourage him to try out any tricks and skills that take his fancy, whether he's out in the street on his own or in the middle of a game with his team. The shouting dads might not like it (because they are too concerned with winning), and even his coach might not like it (depending on what type of coach he is), but when you think about it, if he doesn't experiment with the skills he won't learn how to do them and when to use them. When he's older - say in his teens - he can pick up the winning mentality and seriousness to add to his skills.

Best of luck with it all.

Wow, I've learned alot from that.

He spends his evenings kicking a soft ball around the living room, and trying to copy from ronaldo etc, off youtube..he's forever trying his 'skills'. But I've been telling him that they're not important at all because I assumed it was more important to learn how to pass the ball etc etc.

He's also a leftie - quite a strong kicker, but god bless his cotton socks, hasn't a clue what to do with the ball when it comes to him on the pitch:D Never thought of encouraging his weaker foot...so thanks for that too;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He spends his evenings kicking a soft ball around the living room, and trying to copy from ronaldo etc, off youtube..he's forever trying his 'skills'. But I've been telling him that they're not important at all because I assumed it was more important to learn how to pass the ball etc etc.

He's also a leftie - quite a strong kicker, but god bless his cotton socks, hasn't a clue what to do with the ball when it comes to him on the pitch:D Never thought of encouraging his weaker foot...so thanks for that too;)

ProF is right. I wouldn't get hung up on tactics etc at his age. All too often in Ireland and where I am in the US, youth coaches have a 'win at all costs' mentality to boost their ego at the expense of the young kids learning the basics, trying new skills and having fun. There will be plenty of time to learn tactics etc when he's older.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I was chatting to a pals hubbie recently, who mentioned that he was never into football as a kid, and that he still feels he missed out on a huge part of his childhood. Said that even though he'd great friends etc, once the subject of football came up, he was excluded. Said it was no-ones fault, his dad wasn't a fan and he just didn't like it, but looking back (he said) he wished someone had encouraged him a bit more.

Hopefully he has been rehabilitated since:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

My bit of advice would be always to talk to him about his football, be it just a chat about training, how he got on in a match or even his favourite team. It's important to do this early so that he becomes comfortable with communicating with you. For many teenage lads it's the only time when they truly get passionate about something to the point of crying after a loss or being ecstatic after a win.

Get to know his fixture schedule and training schedule so you aren't out of the loop with regards to them. My own dad never bothered and I gave up telling him what I had on because he'd drop me out to a match on a Saturday morning and come back 3 hours later and forget if it was a match or training. I know he had a lot on his mind but it's the simplest thing in the world to remember if someone has a match over training or vice versa.

Generally I'd recommend not trying to mollycoddle him from the sideline, he has to learn to rough it out himself and as long as he's playing with children his own age then he should be okay. That being said if there is some foul play going on then don't hesitate in letting the ref or a manger know that you don't agree but NOT by shouting like a fool at the ref. I've seen so many parents do that and it's just embarrassing and the other kids will pick up on it. A quiet word will do.

All in all you are lucky he has discovered the joys of football from such an early age. I would encourage you to not let him become totally engrossed in football at first. Do not give into his every whim so that he doesn't become bored or burnt out from all the exposure.

If you have any flower pots in the back garden then I would get rid of them now because soon enough they will become goal posts and soon after that they will be broken :p.

Tell him to enjoy his football, the competitiveness will come naturally at an older age when he will be mentally and physically more in tune with the game.

Edit: Forgot to add that organised football is all well and good but he'll develop exponentially by going out on the street and playing with older kids. He'll learn what to say, how to defend himself and so on. I think you said his dad isn't involved, well then playing football on the street will show him how boys a few years older than him act. Obviously you should keep an eye to make sure nothing dodgy is happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would agree with Pro F on pretty much everything there.

For yourself, as others said, encouragment is much more important than screaming slogans.

To a kid out there, its really confidence sapping to have an adult on the sidelines watching shouting at ya for (in their eyes) doing something wrong, whereas in actual fact they know fuk all anyway.

Tell him to take no heed of instructions anyone watching says, and just stick to what his coach said. Also, as Pro F said, at this level its really all just about enjoying himself and getting comfortable with the ball at his feet. He shouldn't have any expectations or pressure placed on him at that age.

If in doubt for something to shout, go with "Brilliant <insert action here>!", beit a pass, tackle, run etc that he's just done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I agree totally with what Pro. F just said (tbh that's what I was trying to say but he said it much much better). But just to be clear: passing is still skill number one, the essential skill every player must have. The best way to develop this on your own I think is simply to kick a ball off the wall to yourself, if he has some space, a back garden where he can do this you might encourage him to do this everyday for a little bit.

Now is a great time to be learning tricks though, and do encourage him to try them out, they are great for his control and composure on the ball and will really stand to him in the long run. As he gets older matches will get quicker, so he will have less time on the ball, so being comfortable on the ball at an early age really gives him a head up here.

But do remind him to keep his head up in matches. In otherwords encourage him to lift his head up and look around at where the other players are before he tries a trick. It's difficult at that young age when they all tend to just follow the ball, but again the earlier he can develop an awareness of where his team mates are on the pitch the more of an advantage it will be to him in the long run.

I hope this kid goes pro some day!

But just to be clear: passing is still skill number one, the essential skill every player must have. The best way to develop this on your own I think is simply to kick a ball off the wall to yourself

Yeah, totally agree. I think the kids only call dribbling ''skills'' but passing is definitely one of the most important skills. Up against a wall he can practice his ''skills'' and passing at the same time, all at his own pace.

mars bar wrote: »
    I hope this kid goes pro some day!

This same kid was born with club feet and spent the first year of his life in orthopedic shoes and getting physio......I've photos of his terribly attractive shoes:rolleyes: So when he is playing in Old Trafford and has paid his mammy's mortgage off, I'll write the book:D

This same kid was born with club feet and spent the first year of his life in orthopedic shoes and getting physio......I've photos of his terribly attractive shoes:rolleyes: So when he is playing in Old Trafford and has paid his mammy's mortgage off, I'll write the book:D

He's in good company! This guy was born with severe deformities of his legs:

Went on to be one of the best players in the world and win a pair of World Cups :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Pro. F wrote: »
    He's in good company! This guy was born with severe deformities of his legs:

Went on to be one of the best players in the world and win a pair of World Cups :D
    Please dont tell her how Garincha ended... :cool:
    She might send the boy to ballet....

• Advertisement
Advertisement