Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled an online order by email but still processed

Options
  • 07-12-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I made a purchase online last friday from a clothing website in the uk, at 10.45 or so. I subsequently cancelled the order (or so i thought) by emailing their care department at 11.05. I rang my credit card company yesterday to check if any payment had been taken to which they said no.
    So i check my account online this morning and there is a payment processing date of 6th and purchase date of 3rd on my account. From consumerconnect website it states that i have up to 7 days from receipt of the good to cancel my order.
    However I will now have to pay for the items to be returned. I have a lot of other items on the way which are presents and I will not be at home myself during the day to check them as they are received. If i was i just wouldn't accept the package and let the post service return it.
    Should I go for a chargeback through credit card company and then ask for retailer to pay for the return postage as i clearly cancelled before the order was processed and therefore the product should never have been sent in the first place?
    I have emailed the company again this morning asking for the order to be cancelled and refund made to card but no response to this or my original cancellation email.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get in touch with the company - ring if you can, there's a better chance of success than via email. Remember that a lot of online businesses are quite busy right now in the run up to Christmas and it may take a little longer than normal for them to come back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

thanks for the advice, unfortunately they only give email contact. Currently on hold to credit card company. will try get a phone number listed elsewhere if i can

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think it's kind of unfair to process a chargeback without giving the company a chance to respond. In fact, I'm not sure that the credit card company will let you process a chargeback that quickly.

Let us know how you get on.

indeed you were correct, CC cant do a chargeback on a cancellation, so ill have to take receipt of package and send the package back (proof of posting required) for a refund. Can only get a chargeback if they dont refund then.

Company emailed me back in last few minutes to say they didnt get my original email (however unlikely) but they have already sent the item and ill have to go through the refunds process (at my own expense unfortunately). Ill think twice before clicking on an impulse buy in future

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As the sale was made in the Uk, this is from a UK site:

Distance selling and online trading

The cooling-off period and cancellations

When selling to consumers by mail order, phone, fax, internet or digital TV you must give them a cooling-off period during which they have an unconditional right to cancel the contract.

In the case of services, the cooling-off period normally ends seven working days after the day the order was made - or after written confirmation is received.

In the case of goods, the cooling-off period normally ends seven working days after the day the goods are received.

Consumers must inform you in writing - by letter, fax or email - of their decision to cancel.

Consumers' money should be reimbursed as soon as possible - and in any case within a maximum period of 30 days.

Your contract with the consumer should also specify who pays any postage necessary to return unwanted goods.

What site was it, most site I shop on refund postage if returned within 7 days?

From Boohoo.com website:

CANCELLATION OF THE CONTRACT
    If you are contracting as a consumer, you may cancel your Contract with us at any time within 7 working days, beginning on the day after you receive the Product(s) which are the subject of the Contract ("Cooling-Off Period").
    In order to cancel your Contract, you must notify us in writing at one of the addresses set out in clause 7 within the 7 day Cooling-Off Period and then return the Product(s) to us in accordance with clause 4 below.
    Notification of return of your Products via the online procedure will not constitute notification of cancellation of your order for the purposes of your statutory rights to cancel the Contract.
    Please note that in order to cancel your Contract, you must return all the Products that were covered by the order. You must take reasonable care of the Products that you wish to cancel and not use or wear them.

• Advertisement

"Return Postage

If you are returning a non-faulty item to us for a refund then the cost of returning the item is yours. You are also responsible for the item until it reaches us so we would recommend, for your own protection, you use a delivery service which insures you for the value of the goods and which we sign for to confirm receipt."

I might try arguing that they should pay it. will see, might even change my mind when they arrive seeing as it will cost me to send it back now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sendit back registered and demand they pay for it with the refund they give you.

Advertisement