Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plaster board

• 07-12-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I recently had a room internally insulated with insulated board and plaster board on top, plus skim coat, total depth approx. 35mm.
    I want to mount an extraction hood, the fixings provided are masonry plugs and screws (which are quite short).
    Should I drill past the boards and into the original wall and use rawl plugs and longer screws or is there a better solution?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yes, but depending on the weight of the fan. When fitting the plugs, put one sitting on the head of a screw and tap it through the plasterboard and down until it sitting in the block, then use you're screws to fix.

That or you could use rawlbolts with threaded bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

Thanks Fingers McGee,

The hood isn't that heavy, I think threaded bar would be over kill in this case. I thought that there might be a alternative to masonry rawl plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not really, you need to anchor it to the block wall itself. Fixing it to the plasterboard is not ideal, as it could fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

Thanks again, longer screws into the block it is!

Advertisement