Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a car - perth

Options
  • 07-12-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey all jus wondering if anyone could help me out and give me some info?

I'm in Perth at the moment and I just got a job , getting sponsored ! However I need to buy a car immedietley.. I really have no idea about cars i just know il need something reliable that is hopefully economical as I will be driving an hour to and from work...

So does anyone know a good used car place or have any reccomendations on a reliable model of car I should buy? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I really don't have a clue.. I plan to spend up to 3 k ...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Best thing to do is pick up the Quokka which is basically Perth's Buy and Sale. There's hundreds of cars in there all sorted by model and year so you can roughly see how far your budget will go.

Aussie engines can be quite big on average but for your needs you'd want something around the 1.2 to 1.8 litre mark. Japanese cars such as Hyundais are really popular and very reliable. I had an Accent for the past 3 years and sold it recently only cause I have a 4x4 as well. A 1998/99 three door Accent should be no more than 3k.

Also maybe have a look at something like a Holden Barina from around the same year.

Great site for gauging how much you should be paying for a car in Perth -

http://www.redbook.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Why didnt you post this last week, a friend of mine gave away a bubble shaped Mazda 121 in exchange for a table tennis table. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Before you buy anything, get someone who knows what they're doin to look at it first. A mate who knows a bit about cars.

Or if you want to spend the money, get a mechanic to do a check on it. It'll cost about 150-200 dollars, but they will give it a good going over and will find any problems with it, so you know what you're buying.

I bought a Hilux Surf 18months ago, and 2 months later, the head went on it. Lesson learned here

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shamrock02

avoid cheap dealers like the plague. we got ripped off there a few years ago and the fecking thing died on the Nulabor.
    keep your eye out round the backpackers, usually people who are heading home try to sell the odd motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Thanks for the replies, got sorted anyway with a mazda eunos 500 '97.. checked it against the redbook and its all good.. hopefully it all works out now ..

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement