Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! Lenses for traveling???

• 07-12-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey folks :D

Need a bit of help please :rolleyes: I am trying to choose lenses to go for as I am planning on doing a bit of traveling in the near future.

I own a Canon 500d and own the following 2 lenses:
    * Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Lens
    * Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 Lens
    - I bought the Tamron as I thought it would be a good ‘all rounder’ lens. It’s f2.8 so good for low light photography.

- I got the Canon lens as I am concentrating on Street Photography and thought this lens would be ideal. It’s described as being :
    Compact, practical wide angle giving the best value for money. Light weight, only 185g, making it a great standard wide angle lens. Get reduced distortion and clear and sharp images thanks to the asperical lens.

I have been able to go on a couple of walks in the woods and have brought my camera along and tried both lenses. I am happy with both lens and have managed to take some nice enough pics. But I have been let down on other occasions when I have used these lenses so have been thinking of expanding my lens collection a bit.

I think I need a proper wide angle lens like the Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5. Described as a ’’must-have accessory for travelling photographers’’ on Pixmania.ie. I could pick that up 2nd hand or get a Sigma 10-20mm or Tokina 12-24mm. Any recommendations?

I have also been thinking of exchanging my Canon 28mm for a Canon 35mm F2.0 as once I get a wide open lens I will need a lens for portraits. I had a Canon 50mm f1.8 II but was let down by the cropping factor. From reading reviews it seems like it's a good lens. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/canon-ef-35mm-f-2.0-lens-review.aspx Would the Canon 35mm F2 be a good choice?

Later on, I would pick up something like a Canon EF-S 55-250mm or Canon EF 75-300 III F4-5.6 USM Lens but not too bothered right now.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Your Tamron 28-75 should be ok for all rounder. You really need a bit of zoom for travel I think. A 24-70 or 17-55 all f2.8 preferably

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Diabalo

Thanks John. Will look into those now and see what type of prices they are :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Diabalo wrote: »
    Thanks John. Will look into those now and see what type of prices they are :)

I wouldn't rush into buying more lens yet, just take the Tamron with you and really get used to it. The other Canon 1s are expensive I think.
    I use Nikon D700 full frame and I use my 24-70 f2.8 lens more than any of my other lens

Cheers John, no I certainly won't be rushing into buying anymore lenses this time.

But I do feel like I am missing some nice pictures below 28mms if you get me?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Are you likely to be seeing any wildlife or anything like that? When I was travelling I had only a 17-70mm with me, and while that covered most things perfectly, I was desperately in need of something around 200mm when out in the wild.

• Advertisement

No Zillah. Wouldnt be taking pictures of wildlife. More so city pics, sunsets, portraits...

Thats the thing! I don't want to be in the situation when I am abroad and saying to myself: ''Damn! I should have got X a lens...'':(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If you're into the primes bring a 50mm and the 28mm or the zoom like John said.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

You could sell the 28-75 and get something like a Tamron, 17-50mm f/2.8. Problem you have now is that you have the 28mm covered on that lens, and then you have the prime at same focal length, I know how that goes, you just never bother to change over. I bought the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and haven't used my 50mm f/1.8 more than twice since. I have a cheap 55-200mm VR for when I want a little zoom, which like you, isn't all that often to warrant a pricier lens.

If you got a 17-50 f/2.8, you'll probably save a few euro after selling the 28-75, [unless you opt for the VC version of the 17-50, which is pointless I think, I always think VC/VR/OS should be reserved for 70mm+] sell the 28mm and get something like a Sigma 10-20 variable, for that extra wideness.

Or this looks tasty enough:

http://www.adverts.ie/310487/lenses/sigma-12-24mm-f45-56-ex-dg-hsm-lens-canon-fit/page-2/#poststart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Tamron and Sigma (and probably others too) both make decent 18-200mm lenses that are "all around" lenses. You use speed and sharpness at wide angles, but the zoom range you have (from a really good wide-angle, to a very usable zoom) tend to be worth it for travelling and such if you want some versatility but don't want to be carrying around huge telescopes.
    Even 75mm zoom is really not very deep.. so if you're finding either end of the 28-75mm zoom limiting.. 18-200 would extend your range well at both ends.
    If you're looking for versatility.. you probably don't want a prime.. but if you want a prime that's a lot like a "nifty fifty".. then you would generally be looking at about 34mm on most dSLR's today.

I have a 10-20mm aspherical Sigma.. and it is a good lens.. and it's not bad value at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Or....go full-frame and get the full reach of the lenses.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't we all love to do that.

I wouldn't buy a 'super zoom' unless it was highly rated and had VR/OS. That usually doubles the price. Lenses can be ridiculous prices because of extras like stabilisation or constant aperture. I'd rather have 2 lenses cover the same focal length than an all in one.

@Thecageyone
    I’ll admit selling up and buying a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 has crossed my mind. I think I may just have to hold onto it for the time being and make the switch over closer to the time I am traveling.

Fancy a swap TheCageyone ?? :rolleyes: I’ll keep my eyes open on Adverts.
    The Sigma 10-20 variable looks like a tasty lens alright, would do me fine.

@Heebie
    Haven't even considered or thought of a 18-200mm to be honest. No, ideally do not want to be carrying around telescopes lol
    Yes I want a prime that’s like a nifty 50. So the 35mm F2 is okay then?

Yes, a Sigma 10-20 is tempting. Have read a lot of reviews. Wouldn't mind having one today. Could have taken some nice pics.

@ challendegemaster
    Lol not just yet ! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

this might sound like a bit of a stupid idea or something a bit on the foolish side, but i was thinking, you could spend a day in dublin or any other town, and just go around like as if you were a tourist, taking shots of things, and then you'd almost see then what you'd need? almost like a practice run. i dunno if anybody else thinks it'd be a good idea or i'm just losing it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

The tokina 11-16mm is THE wide lens for canon crop sensors - even to the extent some film dops are having them converted to fit on film cameras. Continuous 2.8 so it's bloody fast and also far sharper than the canon or sigma equivalent. Tough to get but well worth going for.

@Thecageyone
    I’ll admit selling up and buying a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 has crossed my mind. I think I may just have to hold onto it for the time being and make the switch over closer to the time I am traveling.

Fancy a swap TheCageyone ?? :rolleyes: I’ll keep my eyes open on Adverts.
    The Sigma 10-20 variable looks like a tasty lens alright, would do me fine.

Pity mine's Nikon :P

Pity mine's Nikon :P

Damn! I knew I should have bought a Nikon :P

@ stetyrrell
    No doesnt sound like a foolish idea. I have already done a few days like that in Dublin ;)

@joconnell
    They look great. Have you got one ? They go for big money too. Very nice to know that info about it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Yep - the place I used to work for bought one but it wasn't stocked so we had a sigma 10-20 in the mean time. The tokina was way sharper - admittedly €600 instead of the sigmas €400 but it's a better lens - faster and as I say way sharper. Here's a breakdown of it:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The 18-200 isn't that big a lens. About as long as say.. 2 primes in a row... but if it's not what you want.. then it's not what you want.

35mm F2 isn't a bad idea.. although you could get an F1.8 or an F1.4. :)
    @Heebie
    Haven't even considered or thought of a 18-200mm to be honest. No, ideally do not want to be carrying around telescopes lol
    Yes I want a prime that’s like a nifty 50. So the 35mm F2 is okay then?

Tokina are one of those 3rd party makes that are really hit and miss. they do some dodgy lenses, but some beaut's also. I would love one of their 100mm f/2.8 1:1 macro jobies.

http://www.amazon.com/Tokina-100-2-8-Digital-Ready/dp/B000CMNL52

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thebadmonkey

I have the Tokina 12-24mm - have to say very happy with it. It's pretty damn solid too which is always good when travelling.

• Advertisement

Tokina are one of those 3rd party makes that are really hit and miss. they do some dodgy lenses, but some beaut's also. I would love one of their 100mm f/2.8 1:1 macro jobies.

http://www.amazon.com/Tokina-100-2-8-Digital-Ready/dp/B000CMNL52

They're a beautiful lens BUT they give major problems. Bought a faulty one recently with the aim of repairing it (spur of the moment purchase!).

Seems like they are very prone to giving ERROR 99 - Ensure contacts are cleaned etc etc.

I have the Tokina 12-24mm - have to say very happy with it. It's pretty damn solid too which is always good when travelling.

Thanks The Bad Monkey. You have made my mind up and I will get one. You aren't selling your one by any chance?:rolleyes:

Good to hear the build quality is good :)

I was going to sell it :) but was out in past few weeks and enjoyed using it. Looks like may just save up for the portrait lens!

Advertisement