Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi / Lidl no longer good value for beer.

• 07-12-2010 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Sad but true, that neither Aldi or Lidl, are no longer competitive in the beer market.

In the economic climate we are in, I'm afraid to say, the 24 pack of 500ml cans of Heineken from SuperValu, are what I am buying instead of the great but much more expensive Franzichkaner, / Spaten, etc from Lidl / Aldi.
    It's a terrible state of affairs when common cosst sense forces such a decision.
    Come on Aldi / Lidle, step up to the plate:eek: Give us good beer at recession prices:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Sad but true, that neither Aldi or Lidl, are no longer competitive in the beer market.

In the economic climate we are in, I'm afraid to say, the 24 pack of 500ml cans of Heineken from SuperValu, are what I am buying instead of the great but much more expensive Franzichkaner, / Spaten, etc from Lidl / Aldi.
    It's a terrible state of affairs when common cosst sense forces such a decision.
    Come on Aldi / Lidle, step up to the plate:eek: Give us good beer at recession prices:)

Hear Hear!!!!

Like Tyskie beer myself - sometimes Lidl and Aldi price is E1.65 a bottle but it goes up to E1.75 sometimes. I hate Heineken! Come on Lidl and Aldi - get the prices down for Christmas!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

24 pack of 500ml cans of Heineken from SuperValu, are what I am buying instead of the great but much more expensive Franzichkaner, / Spaten, etc from Lidl / Aldi.
    They're not trying to compete with that. If you're willing to drink Heineken, they have Galahad and Grafenwalder for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ooooooo no!!:eek:
    Heineken is a premium brand!

Couldn't possibly compare a budget brand like Galahad or Grafenwalder to a market leading quality product like Heineken!!

We want good beer cheap, not cheap beer cheap!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ooooooo no!!:eek:
    Heineken is a premium brand!

Couldn't possibly compare a budget brand like Galahad or Grafenwalder to a market leading quality product like Heineken!!

We want good beer cheap, not cheap beer cheap!!

Define "Premium", because if Heineken is premium beer then Easi Singles are premium cheese!

• Advertisement

Define "Premium"
    "Advertised in the mass market and therefore more expensive than identical products which aren't".

Define "Premium", because if Heineken is premium beer then Easi Singles are premium cheese!

Sorry, I guess sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
    Beernut defined it better than I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You do realise spaten & franziskaner are not lidl/aldi brands right? the nearest supervalu to me would sell them, probably for more than lidl too.

In that linked thread with the 2 for 1.50 beers somebody also appeared to think schofferhofer was a aldi brand beer, in the way perlenbacher is a lidl brand beer.

The beers comparable to heineken are usually cheaper in lidl/aldi, you would do well to see heineken less than €25 a crate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Define "Premium"
    Premium = "As seen on TV"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Aldi do Staroslav at €1.29 a 500ml bottle. It's a gorgeous Czech beer (rumoured to be Krusovice in disguise) that simply pisses all over Heineken etc, and at that price it's a steal.

• Advertisement

(rumoured to be Krusovice in disguise)
    So any Heineken loyalists can take comfort knowing that it's brewed by Heineken :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Whilst we are on the subject of aldi. I have noticed that my fav biscuits (bourbon creams) have gone up 33% in price. Not to mention about half the other items. Sneaky pxgs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Heineken in a can is muck, i avoid all those type of mass marketed drinks like Bud, Carlsberg and Guinness in a can. I prefer quality over quantity. Franziskaner at 1.79 a bottle does the job for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I have been shopping in Aldi & Lidl for years and "News Flash" they have uped their prices dramatically over the last 5 years. Irish people have in no way been price sensitive during the glory years which has help us get into the mess we are in now :rolleyes: However in saying that both Lidl and Aldi now have a much larger selection of Irish products now than they used to.

Unfortunately it is a fact of the Irish market that most supermarkets price to what the market will bear rather than a have competitive pricing like in the UK. WHich is why Tesco will not publish their profit margin in Ireland but instead wrap it all up with their UK figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Sol 12 bottles for €10 in dunnes... nothing beats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sol 12 bottles for €10 in dunnes... nothing beats it
    I think you'll find that quite a lot beats it....

It's something of a rule in posts like the above (see also the "Best beer ever" thread) that the vehemence and absolutism of any claim is inversely proportional to the quality of the beer about which it's made. I suspect that a coefficient may be the number and variety of beers the poster has tasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

in taste or price or both?
    BeerNut wrote: »
    It's something of a rule in posts like the above (see also the "Best beer ever" thread) that the vehemence and absolutism of any claim is inversely proportional to the quality of the beer about which it's made. I suspect that a coefficient may be the number and variety of beers the poster has tasted.

Every other beer i've had had made me rival chris the sheep for burping! I'm full after 3 cans and can't hack any more

I can now drink a 12pk of sol no bother to me and with a lime it's just.... it's a great drink at a great price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I have been shopping in Aldi & Lidl for years and "News Flash" they have uped their prices dramatically over the last 5 years.
    Irish people have in no way been price sensitive during the glory years which has help us get into the mess we are in now :rolleyes: .
    Almost as frustrating as the prices that the irish shops chose to levy, was the stupidness of Lidl or Aldi charging too little in Ireland.
    There really was no need, and still isnt, to bother with a price war in Ireland.

On a salary of 20k in Ireland you have a shade over 18,000 left (even after the latest Irish budget yesterday) after income tax/ health/ PRSI etc
    On a salary of 20k in Germany you have 13,900 left after all statutary deductions

Whilst sounding extreme, Aldi/ lidl are the only reason many people in Germany can feed themselves. Low paid pay a whack of taxes and dole is a max of less than 100 a week.

Maybe Aldi and Lidl has copped on that Irish people have really really high after tax disposable incomes so theres really no need to bust themselves shaving off those last few pennies that mean an awful lot in countries like germany where the poor really are poor! :D

Back to beer,
    I tried that Krušovice rebranded stuff in Germany, under a different name though.
    It was really really spot on.
    Fair enough, a little hoppy but thats the style of those Czech beers.
    And for 1.29 a bottle, a steal in Irish terms.

I can now drink a 12pk of sol no bother to me and with a lime it's just.... it's a great drink at a great price!
    It sounds like your main requirement for a beer is that it be possible to consume seven pints of it in one sitting. It's a fair criterion, and one on which it may indeed not be possible to beat Sol, but you didn't make it clear how your "can't be beat" conclusion was reached, hence the confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

BeerNut wrote: »
    It sounds like your main requirement for a beer is that it be possible to consume seven pints of it in one sitting. It's a fair criterion, and one on which it may indeed not be possible to beat Sol, but you didn't make it clear how your "can't be beat" conclusion was reached, hence the confusion.

I think the fellows name is a clue to what sort of beer he likes! Sol is just water with a slight beer taste added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

I've noticed that Aldi and Lidl are not competing with (or just meeting the prices of) all the big supermarkets Christmas beer deals out there which lets you buy a variety of beers (in a slab or whatever) for less than €1.30. This includes "premium" brands and others.

Possibly Aldi and Lidl have less margins to cut, unlike other supermarkets who've been ripping us off for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

When comparing prices between retailers can people include the alcohol volume, alot of retailers have deals on 4% volume alcohol bought in from the UK which they are comparing to 4.8% same brand on price. Its a different weaker strength product. I noticed Tesco were the first to sell lower volume UK beer but Lidl have followed them recently.

The big supermarkets regularly sell beer below cost as a loss leader to get people into their stores.

Aldi and Lidl just don't do that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Aldi do Staroslav at €1.29 a 500ml bottle. It's a gorgeous Czech beer (rumoured to be Krusovice in disguise) that simply pisses all over Heineken etc, and at that price it's a steal.

Bought a few of these last night and they were lovely and definitely a total steal at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The big supermarkets regularly sell beer below cost as a loss leader to get people into their stores.

Aldi and Lidl just don't do that.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2010/1018/1224281340148.html
    Into the lower price equation you can add Lidl which is selling Lambrusco for €2.29, and more full-bodied wines for €4.29. Given that a bottle of wine attracts excise duty of €2.72 to which VAT at 21 per cent has to be added, these prices are barely covering the tax never mind the production costs or profits. Interestingly, Aldi does not sell much heavily-discounted alcohol out of concern that such sales may damage its image as a family retailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I stand corrected.

.....said the man with the orthopedic shoe:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I stand corrected.

Actually it only refers to Lidl and wines, not beer. ;)

• Advertisement

bennyob wrote: »
    .....said the man with the orthopedic shoe:D

And guess what?... I do have a corrective pad in my left shoe!!

Advertisement