Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into French in University

• 07-12-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,
    without explaining in too much detail how much of an idiot I am, here is my current situation:
    I am in First Year Arts in UCC, studying History, Spanish, Chinese and European Studies. I adore French, but wasn't allowed to study it at UCC as I did not do it for the Leaving Cert (June 2010).
    Now I want to drop out and make sure I get in next year (I had been learning French as a hobby). How can I do this? Could I apply to the CAO like I did earlier in the year? Could I then do French, and only French, for the Leaving Cert to get qualified?

Merci,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

You can apply to do just french as an external student in the leaving cert. Your oral, assuming you take it in cork / waterford, will be on 11th to 15th april as per >>> http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_78_10_Leaving_Certificate_Oral_Tests.pdf

Assuming you get the required grade in the leaving cert french exam, it should be no problem to enter the required course assuming your points from last year are sufficient for this year.

If you complete first year successfully you should enquire in UCC about an internal transfer. You could also apply via the CAO basing your points on 2010 LC results and your french LC requirement on 2011. But you cannot add points from french 2011 to 2010 LC points.

Bear in mind you will be liable for fees because you will be repeating first year. Another option would be to finish your degree and do the 1 year UCC Higher Diploma in French which encompasses modules from 2nd and 3rd year undergraduate french >>>> http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/acsss/hdip/french/

Go to www.examinations.ie to apply as an LC external student. Closing date is usually the end of January. Fee for one subject is usually a little over €100 unless you are exempt (eg medical card holder)

Advertisement