Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping kid(s) off at creche

Options
  • 07-12-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We just started the creche thing. People at crech are very nice and at the moment I am doing the drop offs.

Just wondering if any of you out there have a goodbye routing you do with your kid before you go: do you do a high five? a hug? Or anything. It's very hard that moment when you turn your back.

I am especially interested to hear from any of the Dads :-)

My son is just gone one. Doesn't know any words like "bye" or "back soon". Do you take them out of the buggy? Or leave them in it?

Thanks a mill.

Mods - can this be moved to baby and toddlers forum. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My husband does the Creche runs too. He gives him a goodbye cuddle (no buggy). And then places him down to play and leaves when he's playing.

I've only done it a handful of times and I know what you mean about turning your back. Very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Is your son getting upset when you leave him in? the most important thing (hard though it is) is not to let him see you're upset also.
    The first few weeks can be terribly hard, but gradually baby will get used to it & hopefully will get to the point that it doesn't bother him.

I worked in childcare for several years & I can guarantee you that even the babies that cried the worst being dropped in always settled within a few minutes & were happy as larry :)

I don't work in childcare any more, but my daughter started in nursery 4 months ago & it was heart wrenching in the beginning.
    I give her a big kiss, wave bye bye (she's starting to blow kisses & wave so she returns the gesture :D) & always say 'see you later'. Though she's generally distracted & rearing to get down on the floor to the other babies/toys before I've even left!

I hand her to the nursery staff, I don't bring her in in her seat/buggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

if you have the time, stay around until he starts to play, then give him a wee kiss on the head and leave. it is hard but it will get easier :)

Mods - can this be moved to baby and toddlers forum. Thanks.

Moved as per request

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

I do drop offs with baby rylie, I carry him in,give him a kiss and a cuddle and settle him whether it's on the floor with a few toys or at the breakfast table.

I've always said "bye" and "see you later" I'm amazed at how much they understand at that age- one morning he was upset and I just said to him that mammy has to go to work and if he ate his breakfast and played with his friends and had his nap i'd be back to pick him up by then, off he went not a bother on him.

Feckin hate leaving him though, the gut wrench when I drive by the window still gets me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Das Kitty wrote: »
    My husband does the Creche runs too. He gives him a goodbye cuddle (no buggy). And then places him down to play and leaves when he's playing.

I've only done it a handful of times and I know what you mean about turning your back. Very hard.

What age is your little boy?

I have to say this is a bit of a heart wrenching at the moment. Never thought it would be so upsetting - it has completly changed my view on things.

What age is your little boy?

I have to say this is a bit of a heart wrenching at the moment. Never thought it would be so upsetting - it has completly changed my view on things.

He's only 10 months. I personally go through patches where I'm very upset at the thought of him at creche. My natural instinct is that he should be with me. However I wasn't very happy when I was off work near the end and I am moreso now, so I have to remember that.

The first day I left him in for the full day I went into a multi story carpark and cried for a few hours. I was supposed to go shopping for work clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Hi everyone,

I have no answer to your question but I would have another question for everyone.. hope you don't mind if I use this thred..
    My little man has turned 8 months and I am still at home with him. I simply feel that that's what I am suppose to do and I love it plus I am not in rush to get back to my job.. it just was not the right one for me so more likely I will be looking for new job before I put my little man to child care...
    My worries are I won't be able to leave him in.. I hate to leave him.. I left him with my mam few times and that's the only time it does not bother me.. I can go off and do my business but... I am not able to leave him with my OH parents.. just can't do it! There is something in me which I can not get over and leave him with them never mind child care...
    Today I had good few things to do so I left him with my OH which if of course no problem.. when I came home about 3 hours later he gave me massive cuddle and would not let me go for the rest of the day... I am afraid he will be crying and upset when I try to put him into child care.. I know its still not going to happen for a while but I am already thinking about it and makes my heart pound!
    Is there any way how to get ready for the day I have to start droping him to child care?
    Thanks a mill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd start by picking the creche you want your son to attend when you eventually go back to work, take your time doing this and visit a few, sit down with the owners/managers and explain your fears to them.

They'll be able to show you how a typical day goes in their creche, introduce you to the staff who will be looking after your son and give you their policies etc.

They may even let you bring your son in for a couple of hours over a couple of days to get him used to staff and the new routine.

It'll make things a tiny bit easier for yourself the first morning you have to drop him in. You're still going to feel like crap the first time you have to leave him for the whole day there and you may cry but you'll be safe in the knowledge that you're not bringing him into people he does not know or a place he is unfamiliar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

Hey Elle, I'd second adrieanne's advice- take your time and pick your childcare carefully. If you have confidence in the creche it'll make things alot easier.

Baby Rylie started creche when he was 6 months, unfortunately I'd no choice I just had to go back to work financially. It broke my heart, I spent the last month of maternity leave in absolute bits. I have to say the thoughts of leaving him were worse than the reality. We had a 2 week settling in period which really helped, he built up from 1hr the first day to full days by the end of week 2.

Here we are a year later (almost to the day!) and he LOVES creche, he loves his little buddies and the girls minding him are brilliant. Don't get me wrong, I still hate leaving him every morning and there's a fair bit of guilt involved with me working full time but I can't give it headspace because I'm not in a position for a plan b right now.

Oh and don't worry bout leaving him with OH's parents- I'm the exact same :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I find that the less fuss you make when dropping them off the better. I carry him in (lazy fecker) and hand him to one of the staff and he rarely looks back. Even a goodbye can be tricky for both of us, so if he's happy and focused on what's going on, it's best to slip out quietly.

To Elle13, we have found that the crèche has been a hugely beneficial experience for our son. He receives lots of attention, but crucially for us, interacts so well with all the other kids and has made little friends even at this stage. We would see it now as a negative if he had to be taken out of the crèche. For his own development the crèche has been a terrific experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

My little fella started in the creche just before his 1st birthday and it was a nightmare at the start. I used to sit with him for a few mins to try and settle him but this just made him more clingy. Heartbreaking as it was I then used to just wheel him, give him a kiss and say see you after lunch and walk out. I still do this (he's 14 months now) he sometimes does whinge for a minute or 2 but then he's fine. It does get easier:)

Advertisement