Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to those who are emigrating....

Options
  • 07-12-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

i am noticing a trend here and i would just like to hear people's thoughts/stories.

alot of people are emigrating from ireland to the US & canada and all i see are posts like
    "is there no gaa here?"
    "where are the irish pubs?"
    "where can i get irish butter/tea/crisps" ??

are you people moving abroad for a different lifestyle? or is it only to get away from the poor economy?

it just seems silly to emigrate and then moan that things aren't the same as they are in ireland. i would have thought that if you move away you should embrace a bit of change and try new things! no?

what are your stories? (reasons for choosing the US/canada and emigrating)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Crossed the pond to take advantage of a top ranked university programme. Although I occasionally miss a good rasher at breakfast, I have learned to cook pretty grand southwestern dishes while in California. No real complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

We have yet to be in an Irish pub here in Edmonton, most of them look like a poor analogue from the outside tbh.
    I would say if I have heard 2 Irish accents since we got here it would be the most of it.
    I did the Oz thing in 05 and it basically turned into Carlow with better weather.
    It was one of my biggest regrets that I didn't get away from the Irish pub/club/GAA thing and actually try integrating with the locals and doing something different from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I moved over to California for work and OH almost two years ago. The only reason I look for Irish stuff (like rashers and blackcurrant juice) is to have my US friends try them and experience them. There is a big Irish American community in this country, but its very Americanised, so to show them the real Irish without having to leave the country is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

I think it's just something you're bound to get on any expat-type forum. You should head over to Britishexpats.com - I reckon the Brits are much worse for it. Lots of threads on links to British TV and the like! When I was leaving I was getting a box of Barry's tea put in my case but I left it out in the end as like you say - you should be looking to immerse yourself in the destination culture.

However - I actually think a lot of it is down to the fact that the food/culture in the destination country (e.g. Canada in my case) really does pale in comparison, and can be pretty poor! An example is bread here in Canada - it's sweet and not like bread at all - the second ingredient is often glucose-fructose syrup! Then things like sport - can't get in to hockey at all and doubt I ever would. Hard not to miss things like a good slice of Irish wholemeal and some decent sport not constantly interrupted by ad breaks and the like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Chet Zar wrote: »
    However - I actually think a lot of it is down to the fact that the food/culture in the destination country (e.g. Canada in my case) really does pale in comparison, and can be pretty poor! An example is bread here in Canada - it's sweet and not like bread at all - the second ingredient is often glucose-fructose syrup! Then things like sport - can't get in to hockey at all and doubt I ever would. Hard not to miss things like a good slice of Irish wholemeal and some decent sport not constantly interrupted by ad breaks and the like!

yes but every country has it's downfalls and good things. you also have to remember that every country has a view of other countries. so take your irish pub for example. people are saying they are crap. well it's canada, not ireland. i've been to a canadian pub in london UK and it made me LOL. it's all about stereotypes. if you want a genuine irish pub in canada it'll have to be run by irish people who are living there that knows the difference between a real irish pub and a canadian take on irish pubs. also remember that the majority of people in canada are canadians so they might think their irish pubs are great and they're paying customers... so.....

anyway, will be interesting to see more reasons for emigrating. i'd say there'll be barrel loads more after today's budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Javiero

Ref Canada Destination Posts:

There are Many Pros and cons to every country.
    One major consideration that should be made when deciding which country to emmigrate to would be the cuisine IMO.
    Its obvious that the food will differ from one country to the next, and face it your never going to be eat all of the foods that your used to back home and fully comfortable with.
    I have been to various parts of Canada (4 of the 10 provinces) in the last four years. Thats five trips over four years with an average of two to three weeks each visit.
    Over those visits I have sampled many different types of their food and although the food is different I dont find anything bad about it. (At least it comes on plates and not bucket loads like the US lol) I find the change is exciting and stimulating.
    Now, I will put my hand up for missing Irish sausages, Rashers, White pudding,Lyons Tea.
    I'm a coffee drinker and find their coffee to be a higher standard than the average over here.

@ Chet Zar: Im just curious why you left Ireland if you find Canadian food so poor. Oh, and as for sport. Cant skate? Get the bus!! It doesn't make their major sport crap IMO. Job?

As above. Its a change and that's meant to be as good as a rest!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Those who are forced to leave and probably never wanted to, miss home badly and these things make them feel a little bit better....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Javiero wrote: »
    One major consideration that should be made when deciding which country to emmigrate to would be the cuisine IMO....

@ Chet Zar: Im just curious why you left Ireland if you find Canadian food so poor.

Honestly, I would never consider food to be a factor for me. Coming from a small town in Ireland where there were roughly three different types of restaurants in total means almost anywhere can satisfy your dietary needs. I personally would never choose somewhere over another because of its food. I would take in a lot more factors, like the weather, the people, the economy, my ties to that country and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

I'm heading to Canada because the job I do with the science degree I graduated in, is actually in demand over there, so I am hoping I will have a chance at getting a job, even if the certification process is a bit complicated, doing that at the moment. May have to do a few months of bridging programs but I don't mind that.

I would never choose a country based on the food, that is just ridiculous! More like stability or climate. I am pretty flexible when it comes to food anyway. And to all those missing a bit of brown bread sure that is the easiest thing in the world to make! Buttermilk,wholemeal flour, plain flour, an egg yolk and a bit of milk. I can't really think of food items I would miss. I don't like Cadbury's chocolate. Tea is tea to me, I don't have any particular brand affiliation.

So yes I am getting away because there ain't nothing for me here as a graduate. Looking at Canadian job sites, it's amazing the sheer volume of jobs available in my sector compared to here, and at entry level! I chose Canada because there are a lot of things I like about it, culture, music,people etc. And I find the accent funny :p I would much prefer it to America, as a place to live. I would love the opportunity to explore Nunavat, and the more wilder places...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

My main reason for coming here is primarily career related and to get away from a sinking ship also.

I don't miss anything Irish and to be honest I try and avoid the whole Irish scene here. Thats not to say I'm going to ignore Irish people full stop, I just want to meet people from different backgrounds.

For me it's a new start and so far a better life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

I came to Canada because my wife wanted to come home, I don't miss much about Ireland except for family and friends and having a proper pub to enjoy a pint. Also I do buy Barrys tea as I find the tea here too weak, my wife who was born and raised here feels the same having lived in both Ireland and England where tea is superior.
    I do find it funny when all the people who come here on the U35 visa and seem to only hang out with other Irish in the various Irish bars, spending all that money to come here to end up doing exactly what you did at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

i am noticing a trend here and i would just like to hear people's thoughts/stories.

alot of people are emigrating from ireland to the US & canada and all i see are posts like
    "is there no gaa here?"
    "where can i get irish butter/tea/crisps" ??

are you people moving abroad for a different lifestyle? or is it only to get away from the poor economy?

it just seems silly to emigrate and then moan that things aren't the same as they are in ireland. i would have thought that if you move away you should embrace a bit of change and try new things! no?

what are your stories? (reasons for choosing the US/canada and emigrating)

People that emigrate over night aren't suddenly going to be Canadian. Part of being Irish ( or any other nationality ) is being used to your own food, sport and mixing mainly with Irish people. That isn't going to change overnight.

If people stay in their new country for a long period then slowly they will immerse in the culture. You can hardly blame folk for wanting a pint in an Irish pub, wanting to catch a GAA match etc. That's what they have been brought up on, I'd like to think it's something I wouldn't forget either, being Irish that is.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    People that emigrate over night aren't suddenly going to be Canadian. Part of being Irish ( or any other nationality ) is being used to your own food, sport and mixing mainly with Irish people. That isn't going to change overnight.

If people stay in their new country for a long period then slowly they will immerse in the culture. You can hardly blame folk for wanting a pint in an Irish pub, wanting to catch a GAA match etc. That's what they have been brought up on, I'd like to think it's something I wouldn't forget either, being Irish that is.

Ha I had to cut my post short earlier as was running out the door. Obviously it's not just about food. But I have realised that it really can be all about the little things. ColeTrain there hit the nail on the head really. People will always seek out the familiar, what they're used to, especially if they're new to the country. You can hardly expect people to be waving Canadian flags and loving the hockey from day one. Neither should you be tied to the local Irish bar and only Irish people either. Probably a matter of balance really! I know when I lived in Spain years back I lived with two Spaniards but mixed with the Irish and it was the perfect mix.

As I said though, it's obviously about more than things like food and sports on TV. For me anyway it comes down to living life with family and friends vs not being with family and friends and I've realised I want the former. I think it would be different if I were here with a girlfriend, if I had family here, or if I knew people here already. As it stands I'd rather build a life around family and friends than not.

Plus I miss the sense of humour and the general banter and craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Didnt want to stay in Ireland while i was young, going out in Cork to the same places doing the same thing over and over, i wanted to move to a bigger city (not a fan of Dublin), so job wise it was a toss up between London and Boston and I chose Boston.

I always see myself moving back at somestage but I dont think ill move back till im at least 30 (but thats certainly not set in stone either), which is a good few years off, but i may try a different city possibly NYC or London before i go home. Love NYC, pity there are so many Jets and Yankee fans there tho :P

Things i like over here: American Sports and the sports culture especially football, Go Pats!! People are a lot more open and less reserved than Irish people. A hell of a lot more things to do here and they are generally not a rip off like back home. I also like the diversity of the people i meet, every night out you meet somebody from a different state or country and it makes the people more interesting.

Things i miss from back home: the distance from friends and family and a proper Guinness...but im heading home for 3 weeks next week so i'll get my fill of both. I was hoping to go back for a week during the summer but Aer Lingus are a rip off, so i didnt bother. Watching Munster/6N games at a regular hour and not 8am or 10am...damn it i like my sleep ins at the weekend.

Hazys wrote: »
    Watching Munster/6N games at a regular hour and not 8am or 10am...damn it i like my sleep ins at the weekend.

I hear ya! Also I am very partial to my Monday night Premier League football!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

red menace wrote: »
    We have yet to be in an Irish pub here in Edmonton, most of them look like a poor analogue from the outside tbh.

Try:

http://www.ceilisedmonton.com/

Only Irish pub I was in while in Edmonton (didn't go because it was Irish, it was just the local of the friend I was staying with) Found it excellent. Great atmosphere and craic. The night we where there we just sat up at the bar with a few other friends playing pub tricks on the barmen while they let us have free shots of the new cocktails they where trying out.
    I think it's just something you're bound to get on any expat-type forum. You should head over to Britishexpats.com - I reckon the Brits are much worse for it. Lots of threads on links to British TV and the like! When I was leaving I was getting a box of Barry's tea put in my case but I left it out in the end as like you say - you should be looking to immerse yourself in the destination culture.

However - I actually think a lot of it is down to the fact that the food/culture in the destination country (e.g. Canada in my case) really does pale in comparison, and can be pretty poor!

Staples... yeah, I'd agree. The bread isn't the best and the HFCS in everything gives the food a different taste.

That being said, I'll gladly eat all the odd tasting bread in the world if it means I'm close enough to pick up some fresh Moose, Elk and Deer meat from my wifes cousins.

Fresh, wild Elk steak puts the best cuts of Irish beef to shame.
    Plus I miss the sense of humour and the general banter and craic!

Yeah, I have found it lacking. The craic just isn't there. People can't take even a bit of playful banter or joshing. I've found I've had to bite my tongue on more than a few occasions as I don't know if the person will be offended from a bit of ribbing. In Ireland, friends are made over a good slagging match. Over here it seems to be the opposite.

I go hiking a lot with different people over here and I can spot the Irish a mile off. They are usually the ones poking fun at themselves and giving people an opportunity to slag them. Canadians seem to have a stiffer upper lip in this regard and really don't like to show others a weakness or admit a failing. If they are falling behind it's their new shoes, or the aren't feeling the best.. etc. The Irish will just say: "I'm a lazy bastard, go on without me, I'm just going to quietly have a heart attack and then I'll catch up with the lot of yas"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

colin29 wrote: »
    I came to Canada because my wife wanted to come home, I don't miss much about Ireland except for family and friends and having a proper pub to enjoy a pint. Also I do buy Barrys tea as I find the tea here too weak, my wife who was born and raised here feels the same having lived in both Ireland and England where tea is superior.
    I do find it funny when all the people who come here on the U35 visa and seem to only hang out with other Irish in the various Irish bars, spending all that money to come here to end up doing exactly what you did at home.

how long did your wife live in ireland for? i've lived here 12.5 years and have yet to meet other canadians! i intend to go back to canada asap, and hubby is irish so will be in your shoes! have you been in canada long? i'd love to hear what you think about it.

i will put my hands up and say that irish tea is #1. i never drank tea before i left canada, but i drink it now.

someone said something about the humour being a bit sad over in canada and i also agree with that. having been around irish humour for so long, i think it's the best sense of humour in the world. i have tried to slag my canadian friends back home and they look at me as if i've two heads so can completely understand that! but i think alot more countries than canada would have the same reaction! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I still buy Irish peas in stop and shop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've been in the US for 20 years and I cant eat american bacon. eugh.

I've never owned an american car either.

I like baseball but american "football" is still a meaningless mystery to me.

Its more of a Quality question rather than an issue of assimilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its more of a Quality question rather than an issue of assimilation.

InTheTrees, seriously: FAI vs College Football?

One thing I have embraced wholeheartedly in the US is the beer. The selection and quality (pubs and liquor stores) leaves Ireland very wanting. Amazing to think that this is the land of Budweiser...

• Advertisement

dave2pvd wrote: »
    InTheTrees, seriously: FAI vs College Football?

One thing I have embraced wholeheartedly in the US is the beer. The selection and quality (pubs and liquor stores) leaves Ireland very wanting. Amazing to think that this is the land of Budweiser...

I agree. The days of bud and coors etc being representative of american beer are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

I know, I'm still missing Nattie Ice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,928 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've been in the US for 20 years and I cant eat american bacon. eugh.
    I miss Rashers, it's true.

But have you tried...

Baconnaise.jpg
    Do Not.
    I've never owned an american car either.
    Because Toyota is the "safe" choice. ;) I like my Jeep.
    I like baseball but american "football" is still a meaningless mystery to me. Its more of a Quality question rather than an issue of assimilation.
    It's just football. The only time I watch it is when I watch the Waterboy or Remember the Titans or something. Or that one with the whipped cream girl. But no, in reality football irritates me with the endless stream of commercials and how they've basically made bogus calls by the ref and attempts by the coaches to exploit the rules to keep a lead, an integral part of the 'sport'.
    Ah yes. My sister turned 21 so she dragged me out to some "pub" in daytona called Tir na Nog - which everyone pronounced horribly. But you get in there and all it is is a dive bar with no Guinness on tap and the whole place is filled not with hardy drunks but dainty wee sh*ts with edgy hats wearing their teen angst on their shoulder. Which I found odd after I realized they all had to be in their 20s by now. All it was missing was the Bongo Player and the strange girl singing poetry out of key. No, if you want an Irish Pub you belong in Ireland. When in rome just drink at a bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Football is Awesome...end of discussion.

Overheal wrote: »
    Because Toyota is the "safe" choice.

Right now I have two porsche 944's (the old cheap 80's models), and i've become a big fan. Its nice to have cars that are actually going up in value as well.

I used to commute in the bay area in a MG midget and I had a TR6 for awhile. Then I graduated to a miata for the reliability, one of only 2 Japanese cars I've owned (the other was a civic, almost as reliable as the 944).

There's american cars I'd like but I've never taken the plunge. I'd like one of those 80's huge caddy's, or an old police car. The newer corvettes are good. but I've never been into SUV's and i've never lived anywhere that I've really needed one.

Overheal wrote: »
    the endless stream of commercials and how they've basically made bogus calls by the ref and attempts by the coaches to exploit the rules to keep a lead, an integral part of the 'sport'.

Yup. A ninety minute game that lasts three hours.

Its really just a way of delivering advertising to tv viewers and considering the season is only 16 games with only 8 home games they need to generate some serious cash to keep the circus going.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Hazys wrote: »
    Football is Awesome...end of discussion.

Real football is of course.

Not the other where some big guys run around for a few seconds, all fall down - repeat every three minutes or a longer to wait for the tv ads to finish.

Its nice to have cars that are actually going up in value as well.
    Now ye're thinkin American.
    There's american cars I'd like but I've never taken the plunge. I'd like one of those 80's huge caddy's, or an old police car. The newer corvettes are good. but I've never been into SUV's and i've never lived anywhere that I've really needed one.
    Old Police cars are easy to grab if you go to Auction. And they're pretty predictable too. You start looking out for 2002 Chevy Impala's, or Dodge Chargers, depending on the precinct/State.

Actually really come to love and respect my SUV. Yes its a terrible idea as a suburban commuter vehicle but this is Charleston and flooding becomes an issue. Stupid girl was driving an BMW M3 in front of the store and stopped, only it was 3 feet of flood water. The car was a boat in seconds, she eventually climbed out the window and into the back of someone else's F-250 and made it into our parking lot.

That and the whole being able to see the traffic around you thing. Sedans and Compacts are too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

If your looking for Irish Food check out www.foodireland.com my sister who lives in Philedelphia gets barrys teabags, taytos etc they also do Irish style sausages & rashers.
    We sent her a food hamper from them for christmas

• Advertisement

World Market is also an easy source of junk food, if you miss Crunchie bars, Digestive Biscuits, etc. - World Market is in many shopping centres in major towns.

I have never stopped scouting for a magic source of Rashers though

Advertisement