Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to those who are emigrating....

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Overheal wrote: »
    I have never stopped scouting for a magic source of Rashers though

Pirates of the Carolinas: Quest for the Fountain of Rashers! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,928 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not a pirate im a pioneer :p or a real boy, i cant see my name tag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

I'm 17 and really want to move to the US after uni to live and work. I don't want to be working in Ireland, its way too small, the weathers miserable and I don't like the culture here tbh!

I would love to live in NY or LA, I just love the lifestyle, opportunities and standard of living over there! I cannot picture myself living/working in Ireland, but I can in the US, and I'd move regardless of the situation here! :)

The only thing is I have no idea of what I have to do to live/work there permanently..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I'm 17 and really want to move to the US after uni to live and work. I don't want to be working in Ireland, its way too small, the weathers miserable and I don't like the culture here tbh!

I would love to live in NY or LA, I just love the lifestyle, opportunities and standard of living over there! I cannot picture myself living/working in Ireland, but I can in the US, and I'd move regardless of the situation here! smile.gif

The only thing is I have no idea of what I have to do to live/work there permanently..

Exact same here.. Don't think I hate this place as much as you do but I definatly want to leave. But I think I'd always come back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Honestly just forget about it. You won't get a visa and won't be able to get a US job that will spend the thousands of dollars and time getting you one and it probably wouldn't happen then cos you have no experience.
    America is near impossible to move to especially so inexperienced.
    That's just the simple truth of it.
    Better looking elsewhere and concentrating on that.

Or even try staying in Ireland awhile and contributing something back for the free education and free health care you are getting on everyone elses taxes before you go slagging it off so much and acting so spoiled.
    But I guess that's part of the problem with the Irish nowadays. Gonna be a big change for them. Maybe we'll see some Irish working in Eddie rockets once again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

irishdub14 wrote: »
    I don't like the culture here tbh!

IMO, the US, as diverse as it is, has very little culture compared to Ireland as a whole country. People have culture in them, between them and in certain areas, but they are usually brought from other countries and can be somewhat "Americanised".
    thenobody wrote: »
    Honestly just forget about it. You won't get a visa and won't be able to get a US job that will spend the thousands of dollars and time getting you one

I wouldn't say this, especially considering irishdub is only 17 and should be able to get a visa after college as a graduate. And also the fact that its several years from now, who knows what way the economy will be like then, what visas will be available and what work sector irishdub or coffeelover will in could mean that there will be visas plentiful for them.

If its something you really want, I would recommend working very very hard for it but never shoot it down as a possibility.

Thanks lil_lisa :)
    You won't get a visa and won't be able to get a US job that will spend th thousands of dollars and time getting you one and it probably wouldn't happen then cos you have no experience.

Well I was born in America so I think u'll find I'll have no problem with a visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Well I was born in America so I think u'll find I'll have no problem with a visa.

I'm so jealous!! :p

I'm so jealous!! tongue.gif

Awh you can come with me :)
    Seriously though like lil_lisa said if it's something you really want work hard for it and one day we will be living the dream in NY or LA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Do you need to have the newer digital passport to enter the US? I still have the older type passport.

• Advertisement

Yes, you need a machine readable one.
    If it's after October 2006 it needs to be machine readable and have biometric chip - which should be the case for all passports issued after then anyway
    Search the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Yes, you need a machine readable one.
    If it's after October 2006 it needs to be machine readable and have biometric chip - which should be the case for all passports issued after then anyway
    Search the internet

I agree, it just needs to be machine readable unless it was issued after Oct 2006. Link to US embassy info on passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Mine was issued in 2002!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

lil_lisa wrote: »
    IMO, the US, as diverse as it is, has very little culture compared to Ireland as a whole country. People have culture in them, between them and in certain areas, but they are usually brought from other countries and can be somewhat "Americanised".

I disagree with your assessment. While living in Ireland, I have heard Jay-Z playing loudly from cars, I listened to Alicia Keys while shopping, and people generally rave about hot wings, fajitas, and chili.

I think the American culture is a blending of many European cultures, but it is also heavily shaped by Indigenous and Black American cultural experiences.

I think when people leave behind their country of origin, they frequently compare their new home to their previous home and find much to be lacking in their new home. I get a kick out of walking into a theater and seeing American made movies (or even turning to Channel 4, the Irish language channel, right?) or hearing American artists on the radio. The Irish culture that was sent abroad was pretty much your Riverdance, Clannad, and Enya stuff; I heard recently that much of what is branded as being "traditional" was something that came about in the 1950s as a way to make Irish identity unique and separate from British identity once and for all.

I admit that when I first arrived, I had stereotypical images of what I would experience; then I realized that my view of Irish culture was a result of commercialization.

I'm not saying America has no culture at all. In fact, in the last few decades the culture has been growing immensely. It's just a different type of culture compared to countries which have been building theres for thousands of years. A lot of stereotypical views on countries is usually a result of the Americanised view and media. That's one thing that really annoys me.

Hmm... I think that you are looking at this through a very Eurocentric filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Maybe we'll see some Irish working in Eddie rockets once again
    Was in there this morning and an Irish guy served me!

Hmm... I think that you are looking at this through a very Eurocentric filter.

Yes, I am. I've lived in Europe for 22 years of my life and the US for only 2. These two years have been spent working and settling. There is a lot more to this country than I know or can give an opinion on and I'm excited to explore when the time and money becomes available to me.

For now though, most people here are talking about moving to big US cities for the first time and leaving Ireland. I am trying to answer their questions and straighten their views for when they make the leap. When they arrive they will see everything else for themselves. They will make their own discoveries about US culture and traditions.

SD is San Diego?

I am sure that many of those emigrating to the US will find your comments helpful; having someone who has completed the process in recent years will give valuable insight on the present difficulties one could encounter. My point is that you have been in the US for a relatively short time and your perceptions of culture have obviously been shaped by being reared in Ireland and Europe; I think you will have to explore more of the US and see more of the small towns and lesser known states before you can write off the entire country as having a recently developed or no unique culture.

I'm 30; my parents are in their late 50s/early 60s and my grandmother is in her late 90s. To imply that they have only experienced "culture" for the last few decades is to dismiss the values and dreams built by minorities over the last several centuries.

American culture is defined by a different work ethic than Ireland; how do you think that happened? Or that our versions of English are so different? Or, our foods or our music and even our fashion? This wasn't a short evolution but something that has evolved for centuries.

This is getting boring ....

But the older you get the more you realize nearly all stereotypes are true!!
    Fact.
    Now for the nit picking....

• Advertisement

This is getting boring ....

But the older you get the more you realize nearly all stereotypes are true!!
    Fact.
    Now for the nit picking....

This is an excellent example of passive aggressiveness. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I've been living here for 7 months now. I love it in the US but I don't think that just because you leave Ireland you need to sever all ties to irish culture. I didn't move here to escape Ireland, I moved here because I could get work here. I still play hurling (I couldn't live without it) and I do get my rashers every now and then.

For those of you still trying to find a source of irish food......www.foodireland.com is a great supplier, even if the prices are a little high.

Jungle jims have a good supply of irish foods, although it's in the british food section.

Advertisement