Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

SkidMark wrote: »
    Do you seriously think people struggling to feed and heat their families give a monkeys about their credit rating?

A lot of the money withdrawn from Bank of Ireland tonight will never be recovered.

And most judges are no fans of the banks, getting judgements against ordinary citizens would cost more than BoI would recover.

Anyone on the dole with a BoI account with nothing in it just got their free ticket to Oz mostly paid for tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

stepbar wrote: »
    For the love of god take a picture so the nation can witness the sort of clowns we have in this country.
    He's not down the dail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Why do people have this idea that everyone's going to get off scot-free? This is something that becomes easier and cheaper to prosecute the more people do it. One case takes a certain amount of time; a thousand cases takes far less than a thousand times that. They'll add unauthorised overdraft charges, any money that goes into the accounts will disappear into the overdraft, anyone who took out multiple withdrawals will get letters from solicitors, and the people who still don't clear it will be the ones brought to court to have an attachment order on whatever money they receive.

How can someone on the dole that never works or will work ever pay it back? How can they put 1000s of people in jail? Why would they ever need a bank again? They get free legal aid too. They will get off scot free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

dav3 wrote: »
    No amount of name calling is going to stop these people from draining every atm in the country. Threatening them with prison probably doesn't bother most of them anyway.
    I can understand people trying to play this down so there is no run on the banks and people with BOI accounts getting very nervous that there won't be a bank for them in the morning. But let's face it, most of these people will get free money, we won't, there's nothing we can do about it.
    Just sit back and let it play out.

An ATM does not hold an infinite amount of money :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

amacachi wrote: »
    And some people try to say that we don't get the government we deserve?

That's because we don't use our votes properly. I.E the people who vote FF because it's a tradition in their family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

jd007 wrote: »
    No they didn't.

Listen there are people who got money tonight that have an account that probably never use it, fact is that some, not all. people are going to get away with it due to whatever circumstances they are in.

hmmm wrote: »
    What losses?

When the money is written off.

hmmm wrote: »
    What losses? It's no different to you writing a cheque for an amount you don't have, banks deal with this sort of stuff every day. If you don't repay you'll never get another bank account in any bank in the country, good luck with the rest of your life abroad.

Amended for accuracy.
    BoI will never see a lot of this money back. Fair play to the bank for funding the emigration of the poor though. It's more than the government are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Grievous wrote: »
    Testing.
    Post not posting.

Free posts for all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

For the love of god take a picture so the nation can witness the sort of clowns we have in this country.

Sorry guys don't have a camera:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Anyone on the dole with a BoI account with nothing in it just got their free ticket to Oz mostly paid for tonight.

At which point they'll be refused entry for fraud. But they might get a few quid for appearing on nothing to declare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That's because we don't use our votes properly. I.E the people who vote FF because it's a tradition in their family.

Not really my point. Looking at the amount of spastics out thinking they'll get a free buck it makes way more sense that Fianna Fail are in power.

Amended for accuracy.
    BoI will never see a lot of this money back. Fair play to the bank for funding the emigration of the poor though. It's more than the government are doing.

Can't see them going far on a few hundred quid.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's the assumption that only wasters and bums are at this, I bet there's a whole lot of people who should know better down there too who got caught up in whatever messages went viral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Amended for accuracy.
    500 quid is going to finance your emigration? Where are you emigrating to, Blackpool?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sorry to disapoint ye lads but there was a broad cross section of society down there taking out money, a good few older men and women, one person was saying its karma for what the banks have done to the country.

Some of you guys are going judge anyways, but I think a lot of these people are going to get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Lol. You really are hilarious. Exactly how much money do you reckon each person will be taking out? You do realise the ATMs don't actually manufacture the money, right?

Can't see them going far on a few hundred quid.....

I could get to South-East Asia or the US for €500.
    It would cover getting to Britain and getting a place to rent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's the assumption that only wasters and bums are at this, I bet there's a whole lot of people who should know better down there too who got caught up in whatever messages went viral.
    Should be a great night in the pubs :) I can only imagine the whinging that's going to start tomorrow, I bet Joe Duffy's lines tomorrow will be hopping with young ones looking for the people's NAMA when their account balance shows up.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    Lol. You really are hilarious. Exactly how much money do you reckon each person will be taking out? You do realise the ATMs don't actually manufacture the money, right?

Are there not elves inside making the money? I mean looking at that Coke ad they can fit a field and all in a vending machine, why not in an ATM?

Some questions:

1) Whose fault is the glitch?

God knows.

2) Would BOI have the resources and time to track down everything and get their money back?

Yes. Eventually.

3) How can BOI debit somebody's account at zero?

They can overdraw the account.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    At which point they'll be refused entry for fraud. But they might get a few quid for appearing on nothing to declare.

Do you know how long it takes to get a court judgement against a debtor in Ireland? Or a conviction for fraud? We're well into the second year of the Anglo garda investigation and still no files to the DPP.
    By the time anyone actually faces a conviction for fraud here, they'll be attending their grandkids' weddings in Perth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

ThisRegard wrote: »

Yeah there was a good few well dressed, well spoken people at the atm in phibsboro tonight. tbh if i had a boi account i'd chance it, worst case you hand the money back in the morning. But in the 0.000000000000000000001% chance it was free money why not.

I did not use the ATM myself, but I can confirm that their was an incredible RANGE of different people down at the ATM I walked past tonight.

I think it's a trend on Boards.Ie to pin everything on peceived SCUM or people who collect a social welfare check (Not their choice).

I could get to South-East Asia or the US for €500.
    It would cover getting to Britain and getting a place to rent too.

What you going to do when you get there? Live on fresh air?

tbh wrote: »

Anyone who takes out the max (allegedly €500) has a little tank to play with. Those at the back of the queue, probably not so much.

So you agree the Glitch is not the fault of ANY one individual who withdrew money tonight from an ATM?

I did not use the ATM myself, but I can confirm that their was an incredible RANGE of different people down at the ATM I walked past tonight.

I think it's a trend on Boards.Ie to pin everything on peceived SCUM or people who collect a social welfare check (Not their choice).

Not really, I'm on a welfare payment but I'm not a spastic. Nowhere did I say the people at the ATMs are scum.

• Advertisement

What you going to do when you get there? Live on fresh air?

Dude, I'm going nowhere. I don't have a BoI account. Never did. My money is nice and safe in commodities and outside the euro zone. I won't be emigrating.

But if I was on the dole for years, 20 nicker in a BoI account, tonight I'd be cleaning the feckers out of whatever I could get and belling my pal in Melbourne for a place to crash come January.
    And I suspect some of those actually in that situation are thinking likewise. There's no doubt BoI will lose funds due to this that they will never see again.
    Beyond anything else, this emptying of ATMs probably ought now to be considered as a run on the bank though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement