Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    How can someone on the dole that never works or will work ever pay it back? How can they put 1000s of people in jail? Why would they ever need a bank again? They get free legal aid too. They will get off scot free.

An attachment order mandates the removal of certain amounts at source before the person gets it; it's not that difficult to apply it. Hey presto, your dole payment just got halved to repay the bank.

You don't have an automatic right to civil or criminal legal aid in Ireland; civil aid can only be given if you have a reasonable chance of success. The moment the first case is successfully pursued, precedent exists and your chance of success hits zero. Hey presto, no legal aid. And you only get criminal legal aid if the judge is satisfied that you need and deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Grievous wrote: »
    Some of you guys are going judge anyways, but I think a lot of these people are going to get away with it.

Think about that for a second.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

It was all part of the budget, not too many people who got there free €500 are complaining about the budget tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's the assumption that only wasters and bums are at this, I bet there's a whole lot of people who should know better down there too who got caught up in whatever messages went viral.
    Your right everyone on the dole trying to feed their kids is a waster or bum. :rolleyes: Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

So you agree the Glitch is not the fault of ANY one individual who withdrew money tonight from an ATM?
    Nope, but anyone thinking of using that as an argument for withdrawing far more cash than they knew they had, had better think again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i haven't used a bank machine since saturday or sunday and i don't really want to until this blows over.

i think its ridicules what the guys at atm's are doing... i mean what do they plan on doing.

is the dole not going into bank accounts now and what not ?

anyway on a more serious note, has anyone who checked their balance lately noticed any differences or is everything fine with amounts and details and what not.

i ask cos the issue according to rte was the bank machines couldn't read balances so i'm wondering are the balances ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It was all part of the budget, not too many people who got there free €500 are complaining about the budget tonight.

because they dont work and dont have to pay tax to keep people like you on the dole. Thanks for stealing another 500 by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I give up - this country and its idiots deserves everything it gets.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They will be soon enough.
    You can't stop people being idiots but as you said Jonjo, a fair cross section of the population just dug their debt hole a little deeper for no reason other than short-sightedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Dude, I'm going nowhere. I don't have a BoI account. Never did. My money is nice and safe in commodities and outside the euro zone. I won't be emigrating.

But if I was on the dole for years, 20 nicker in a BoI account, tonight I'd be cleaning the feckers out of whatever I could get and belling my pal in Melbourne for a place to crash come January.
    And I suspect some of those actually in that situation are thinking likewise. There's no doubt BoI will lose funds due to this that they will never see again.
    Beyond anything else, this emptying of ATMs probably ought now to be considered as a run on the bank though.

I don't think you've really thought things through..... Come back when you have :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No one got any free money, anyone who believes that they have is for want of a better word an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

So you agree the Glitch is not the fault of ANY one individual who withdrew money tonight from an ATM?

If I told you jump over a cliff would you do it? Would it be my fault I told you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Mister men wrote: »
    Credit rating :pac: Most of these people won't be able to heat their homes come January. Your off the scale lad.
    They wont have a home for long if they take keep taking money out they can't pay it back, the bank will insist they get their money back and if you can't pay they can get a court order judgment forcing you to sell your property to pay back the costs.
    The bank will be ruthless as the total amount taken out will all add up to a nice large figure!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

Kensington wrote: »
    Nope, but anyone thinking of using that as an argument for withdrawing far more cash than they knew they had, had better think again...

The technical error lies with BOI, though........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men
    Feared by the bad, loved by the good
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood

With Friar Tuck and Little John they had a roguish look,
    They did the deed the others wouldn't dare.
    He captured all the money that the evil sheriff took,
    And rescued many a lady fair

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men
    Feared by the bad, loved by the good
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood

To cheating and corruption, he would never, never yield
    And danger was his breakfast ev'ry day
    The cobler in the hamlet and the farmer in the field
    Were always helping him get away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The technical error lies with BOI, though........

Doesn't make a jot of difference. Not. A. Jot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

stepbar wrote: »
    I don't think you've really thought things through..... Come back when you have :rolleyes:

People emptying ATMs of one bank = bank run.

People taking money and not giving it back because they've left the country = loss for the bank.

Tell me what I'm missing here, o wise one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Do you know how long it takes to get a court judgement against a debtor in Ireland? Or a conviction for fraud? We're well into the second year of the Anglo garda investigation and still no files to the DPP.
    By the time anyone actually faces a conviction for fraud here, they'll be attending their grandkids' weddings in Perth.

The have no bloody intention of really going after them; this case will be different.
    Still, i don't think it will as easy to re-coup much of the money as some here are making out.
    Edit: not that i'm comparing the catastrophe of Anglo to this probably minor fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

If I told you jump over a cliff would you do it? Would it be my fault I told you?

If you're physically capable of robbing the granny down the road then you are completely within your rights to do so. Its her fault for being old and defenceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I think you are "Moving the goalposts".

People withdrew small amounts and got bigger amounts, correct?

Can anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

hmmm wrote: »
    What losses? It's no different to you writing a cheque for an amount you don't have, banks deal with this sort of stuff every day. If you don't repay you'll never get another bank account in any bank in the country, good luck with the rest of your life.

Eh i think she's on your side.
    She was merely refuting a point that the banks won't chase these people because the legal fees will exceed any losses.
    She said they will chase them because the losses will exceed the fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hilarious how some are saying it's the people on the dole who are doing this so they won't be paying back as it's cash in hand.

What happens when they get a new job? And need to be paid through a bank. What will happen then? This country is full of retards, serious retards.

I think you are "Moving the goalposts".

People withdrew small amounts and got bigger amounts, correct?

Can anyone confirm this?

No. This has been denied in the link already posted.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1207/bankofireland.html
    A spokesperson for the bank has said ATMs are not dispensing different amounts than those requested.

However, some cardholders may be getting money from ATMs even if they do not those funds in their accounts.

The bank's spokesperson said this is because 'in a crisis situation, each individual card holder has an offline line'.

Those customers withdrawing more than they have in their accounts will incur normal charges.

A spokesperson said it is an 'unforeseen temporary technical issue', which the bank is working to resolve.

RonMexico wrote: »
    I give up - this country and its idiots deserves everything it gets.

This would happen anywhere if rumour spread, every country has its idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mister men wrote: »
    Your right everyone on the dole trying to feed their kids is a waster or bum. :rolleyes: Jesus wept

Yeah, that's clearly what I said. Jesus wept indeed

No one got any free money, anyone who believes that they have is for want of a better word an idiot.

Thread title needs to be changed to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

Have they fixed this yet or people still taking money out with nothing in there accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Frau Merkel wont be impressed with this carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

No. This has been denied in the link already posted.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1207/bankofireland.html
    A spokesperson for the bank has said ATMs are not dispensing different amounts than those requested.

However, some cardholders may be getting money from ATMs even if they do not those funds in their accounts.

The bank's spokesperson said this is because 'in a crisis situation, each individual card holder has an offline line'.

Those customers withdrawing more than they have in their accounts will incur normal charges.

A spokesperson said it is an 'unforeseen temporary technical issue', which the bank is working to resolve.
    This is due to atms having a stand alone system to use when the network goes down, it will still allow limited money out and as it can't check the account balances, its just an across the board function, its built into most atms for this type of scenario and each customer will be charged accordingly once systems are back up.

• Advertisement

Ziycon wrote: »
    This is due to atms having a stand alone system to use when the network goes down, it will still allow limited money out and as it can't check the account balances, its just an across the board function, its built into most atms for this type of scenario and each customer will be charged accordingly once systems are back up.

Exactly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement