Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Have they fixed this yet or people still taking money out with nothing in there accounts?

Apparently the systems are being brought back online now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

first of i work in I.T and know how atm and mainframe link together and i have to say that this is the best thread I have ever read on Boards.

From
    1.People thinking they are pulling a fast one on the bank.
    2.The stupid comments made by people all over the place
    3.the clowns queuing up outside the ATM's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Ziycon wrote: »
    This is due to atms having a stand alone system to use when the network goes down, it will still allow limited money out and as it can't check the account balances, its just an across the board function, its built into most atms for this type of scenario and each customer will be charged accordingly once systems are back up.

Correct - hence why some ATM's that do not have such a feature built in are not dispensing money.

It really is not rocket science. Will people ever learn that you never get money for free off a bank?

Lots of peoples credit rating are heading south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Frau Merkel wont be impressed with this carry on
    I think you mean Bundeskanzlerin Merkel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

People emptying ATMs of one bank = bank run.

People taking money and not giving it back because they've left the country = loss for the bank.

Tell me what I'm missing here, o wise one. :rolleyes:

Eh, bank machines are emptied everyday and refilled abnausium. Hell in some places they are refilled 4 or 5 times a day. They are not going to the cash machine with the intention of causing a run. People are convinced they're getting free money. Very different to someone going to a branch and asking for a million in cash and 10 others coming after asking for the same.

You're missing a fair bit :rolleyes:

And actually I'll go further and say that over a weekday evening, the amount held in an ATM machine would be no where near the amount that would be put in over the course of a day or weekend. A Run on the bank.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I heard there were fights at the tallaght branch, thats a bit mad now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

just a bit yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

People aren't taking into account how damaging this could be to this already decrepit/state-dependent bank, though.
    They end up chasing people for money at a time when tax-payers are bailing them out and as they are also chasing more and more people for their failure to meet mortgage-payments?
    At the very least, a sizable PR fcuk-up and further stoking of the hatred people currently feel for the banks in general.

If you're physically capable of robbing the granny down the road then you are completely within your rights to do so. Its her fault for being old and defenceless.

I know, definatly her fault for being an ould granny.... She was looking for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So Finglas gets a hotdog stand, Tallaght fights, sticking with stereotypes what does Foxrock get, mulled wine and canapes ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Unshelved wrote: »
    http://twitpic.com/3dtvq6

Queue outside ATM in Walkinstown apparently

Twitpic is a perfect description of that picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So Finglas gets a hotdog stand, Tallaght fights, sticking with stereotypes what does Foxrock get, mulled wine and canapes ?

They already got their free-money; the Anglo-bailout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How much is in a bank machine? €100,000? €200,000? Even if the bank lost €20million tonight, it's just a drop in the ocean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ye can talk all ye want but the simple fact is that the bank will never get back the money off people who don't have wages going into there account or who's accounts had no money in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

amacachi wrote: »
    Not really, I'm on a welfare payment but I'm not a spastic. Nowhere did I say the people at the ATMs are scum.

I didn't say you specifically insult these people or call them out, but I have noticed it's a trend on Boards.IE.

Every walk of Irish society was at these ATM's tonight.

Fcuk this.....

I'm off to the pub.... I've heard enough sh1t today....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Missed the RTE news, bet they didn't show it. Nothing on Primetime now either. This will look well dodgy if the International press get a hold of it. It looks bad, on top of bad.

The same day as the Budget hundreds of punters queing at ATM's. :(

Wonder will TV3 carry it on the 11 o'clock bulletin....?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ye can talk all ye want but the simple fact is that the bank will never get back the money off people who don't have wages going into there account or who's accounts had no money in them.

But you can get a judgement preventing these people from getting another bank a/c or ever getting a loan again while all the time the interest tots up.
    For 4 or 5 hundred quid?
    That's just dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

I've just heard on the FM104 Phone show that Bank of Ireland ATM's are giving out money to accounts that have no money or havent for a few years. There has been a few people who rang in to say they have withdrawn €500 and have never had money in the bank just have an account opened.. Could this be true? Are Bank of Ireland giving free money out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

How much is in a bank machine? €100,000? €200,000? Even if the bank lost €20million tonight, it's just a drop in the ocean.
    That's the problem. When did 20m become a drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

stepbar wrote: »
    Eh, bank machines are emptied everyday and refilled abnausium. Hell in some places they are refilled 4 or 5 times a day. They are not going to the cash machine with the intention of causing a run. People are convinced they're getting free money. Very different to someone going to a branch and asking for a million in cash and 10 others coming after asking for the same.

You're missing a fair bit :rolleyes:

And actually I'll go further and say that over a weekday evening, the amount held in an ATM machine would be no where near the amount that would be put in over a the course of a day or weekend. A Run on the bank.... :rolleyes:

A branch ATM might get refilled more than once a day. But many in-shop ATMS including the one with the lengthy queue at it in my local shop, are filled once or twice a week at most, as anyone who's ever had their card swallowed by one and tried to get it back can testify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They'll get it from their dole money. That dole is paid into bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

They might try to garnish at source from a persons social welfare payments...

Better get down there quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I guess this really is a case of "The banks made me take a loan"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No. That show is the equivalent of Joe Duffy and The Star rolled into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Yippeee Free money :pac::pac:

stepbar wrote: »
    Fcuk this.....

I'm off to the pub.... I've heard enough sh1t today....... :rolleyes:
    Shelbourne?

• Advertisement

A branch ATM might get refilled more than once a day. But many in-shop ATMS including the one with the lengthy queue at it in my local shop, are filled once or twice a week at most, as anyone who's ever had their card swallowed by one and tried to get it back can testify.

STOP DIGGING.........:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement