Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Absurdum wrote: »
    I heard BoI collapsed and are keeping your money.

They are welcome to all my dealings with them!! Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

digme wrote: »
    Well people took out 10 billion already from boi, so i don't see why it is a ct.
    The banks are broke.

Think something similar happened AIB a few years back, so it isn't unheard of.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dumb_parade

Pure sh!te talk

Banks use multiple datacentres with a huge degree of redundancy. You could literally drop a bomb on one and the system would keep functioning, because all the data is kept in several locations, and whichever one handles a request - ATM withdrawal, bank transfer, direct debit or whatever - automatically sends the data to the others. If they don't respond, it keeps it until they do.

For everything to go down, to me, is inexplicable. They have multiple data connections, multiple power sources, multiple parallel servers, which allow one (or several) of them to be taken off-line without impacting users.

Despite all of this, it seems they've missed a single point of failure somewhere.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I bet one of the cleaning staff just unplugged the server so they could hoover.

They'll get it back working in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Tyler Durden and the Space Monkeys strike again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Pure sh!te talk

Banks use multiple datacentres with a huge degree of redundancy. You could literally drop a bomb on one and the system would keep functioning, because all the data is kept in several locations, and whichever one handles a request - ATM withdrawal, bank transfer, direct debit or whatever - automatically sends the data to the others. If they don't respond, it keeps it until they do.

For everything to go down, to me, is inexplicable. They have multiple data connections, multiple power sources, multiple parallel servers, which allow one (or several) of them to be taken off-line without impacting users.

While they certainly will have a backup datacentre, it's also possible that the systems in this are offline until required (different banks will operate different policies on this front). It could quite easily take a full working day to roll over from one datacentre to another even if the systems are up to date but not readily available. What I heard earlier on was that their mainframe was off the air, that will effectively bring many of the banks other systems to the point of uselessness. It's unfortunate, but it is also explicable.

[edit]
    Don't work for BOI, just trying to point out how, even with DR systems in place, an entire banking system can appear off air. Obviously, the timescale for recovery I mentioned above is an example, and nothing to do with BOI or their policies/timeframes.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

meh, I have about six euro in my account at the mo (very poor student). Stupid atms won't let me take out fivers:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

What's that about never losing your job if you go with IBM... the last HP guy out must have turned the lights (computer) off :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1102/1224282487983.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Töpher wrote: »
    While they certainly will have a backup datacentre, it's also possible that the systems in this are offline until required (different banks will operate different policies on this front). It could quite easily take a full working day to roll over from one datacentre to another even if the systems are up to date but not readily available. What I heard earlier on was that their mainframe was off the air, that will effectively bring many of the banks other systems to the point of uselessness. It's unfortunate, but it is also explicable.

You're not fooling anyone mate. That exactly what somebody who wants to clear out their account before the rest of us would say.

/ Runs down to local branch with bin bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Jesus, I wouldn't need an empty crisp packet to store all my money, never mind a flamin' bin bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Everything is fine. Nothing to see here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Got greeted with this when going to check my account:

Would you say it's time to panic and started cracking each others heads open to feast on the goo inside?

Too late man, I got the last of the Euros, there only Turkish Lira* left. :pac:

* Might actually be worth more in 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Its rae that having no money is a god thing but this could jusst be one of those times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

There seems to be alot of emphasis on the word restricted there, if people are not already worried, it might be time to start worrying.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Stop trying to scare people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Have to love the wording...

"...all branches are open and operating as normal but with a temporary restricted cash service..."

Operating as 'normal' but you can't withdraw cash. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

The jokes on them, they can keep my -180 euro if they like :D mwahhhahahahahahah

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

FFS! How am I meant to get my 20 cents out now?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

The jokes on them, they can keep my -180 euro if they like :D mwahhhahahahahahah

lol, I like your style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

massdebater <--- him/her!
    ...mwahhhahahahahahah
    ...but i was laughed at, who's laughing now.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Your money's not here.. Its in Bill's house and Fred's house!

What the hell are you doing with my money in your house Fred?

BAM!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I wonder if there will be a bank holiday tomorrow?

Everything will be grand when the Budget is passed.

We're all taking the pain so that the Banks have money!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

No more of the scare mongering unfounded crap from here on out please. Uninformed opinions are not welcome here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

No more of the scare mongering unfounded crap from here on out please. Uninformed opinions are not welcome here.

What's uninformed may i ask?
    Its a fact that people are withdrawing there money en masse from Irish banks.

GET YOUR MONEY OUT NNAAAOOW!
    ITS ALL COMING DOWN AROUND US!!!
    etc.
    Anything that encourages people into a run on the banks with no reasoning behind it essentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Aww so u believe the computer malfunction story:rolleyes:, same as u believed F.F when you voted for them.
    I didn't vote for FF :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You haven't a clue what the issue is maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

etc.
    Anything that encourages people into a run on the banks with no reasoning behind it essentially.
    So a well-reasoned post arguing why people should withdraw their money ASAP is ok? I'll get to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭infamous

Left wingers had planned a run on the banks today 2fm spoke of the story yesterday some obscure comment from eric cantona about bringing capitalism to a bloodless stop today by getting large numbers to withdraw their cash, seems a fairly big coincidence

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8155653/Eric-Cantonas-bank-protest-becomes-internet-hit.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Totally agree, going forward turning another corner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Timing wise its disasterous with the budget speech happening pretty much now, but its a technical problem, no more no less. Your cards will work up to offline limits if the main system is impacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

infamous wrote: »
    Left wingers had planned a run on the banks today 2fm spoke of the story yesterday some obscure comment from eric cantona about bringing capitalism to a bloodless stop today by getting large numbers to withdraw their cash, seems a fairly big coincidence
    If that happens we're screwed.

Timing wise its disasterous with the budget speech happening pretty much now, but its a technical problem, no more no less. Your cards will work up to offline limits if the main system is impacted.
    I agree - but it's a small taste of what it will be like if the government goes down the Argentina route.

infamous wrote: »

Yeah, the Eric Canton thing.

Problem is, there a lot of people out there that are easily scared and susceptible to scare mongering.

I think we all know the banks have serious problems but bank runs just make it worse.

Plus, certain people have a vested interest in banks failing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Aww yes it sure is easy to pull the wool over some people's eyes, like the people who said that the I.M.F could never come into Ireland and that it was a uninformed opionion to say so:rolleyes:, where are these people now?
    The very same people who brought Houses in the boom and invested in property and voted F.F like fools, where are they now?
    Wherever they are i bet there Not so smart now. Half the people in this country deserve everything they get because they thought they were smarter than everyone else.

Aww yes it sure is easy to pull the wool over some people's eyes, like the people who said that the I.M.F could never come into Ireland and that it was a uninformed opionion to say so:rolleyes:, where are these people now?
    The very same people who brought Houses in the boom and invested in property and voted F.F like fools, where are they now?
    Wherever they are i bet there Not so smart now. Half the people in this country deserve everything they get because they thought they were smarter than everyone else.
    You do realise where the IMF money is going to right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

etc.

Prove it isn't.

K-9 wrote: »
    Plus, certain people have a vested interest in banks failing.
    Who?

• Advertisement

You do realise where the IMF money is going to right?
    The IMF money won't make a blind bit of difference if depositors take their money out of the banks en masse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

They can keep my -€50 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I remember when I stated the IMF & ECB would be bailing us out that some folk stated I should put my tin foil hat on and not talk us into a recession.

Like I'm in charge of anything or anything I say can impact anything.

ffs. Its the internet you know.

The IMF money won't make a blind bit of difference if depositors take their money out of the banks en masse.

Sounds like a plan to me...

ch750536 wrote: »
    I remember when I stated the IMF & ECB would be bailing us out that some folk stated I should put my tin foil hat on and not talk us into a recession.
    Those were the nutter positivists who were a major cause of the bubble. I presume they are feeling pretty guilty now....not.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Should they put a redirect to the IMF I wonder on the web site?

Their IT seems very old and flakey, and this just doesn't fill me with confidence in their abilities.

• Advertisement

The fact it is today of all days seems very odd to me. With King Eric leading the charge.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Their IT seems very old and flakey, and this just doesn't fill me with confidence in their abilities.
    That, and the fact that they bankrupted themselves.

Prove it isn't.

Eh thats not how the burden of proof thing usually works. Prove I'm not travelling on a pink unicorn.

Just making sure I am following your logic.

1) See no reason to believe it is anything other than a IT fault.
    2) ???
    3) FF supporter

Internationally reported as a fault with the IT.
    Money there to capitalise and guarantee the banks.
    ATMs are operating normally but with a restricted cash service for BoI cardholders, Bank of Ireland said, adding that some customers may be unable to conduct point-of-sale transactions but Bank of Ireland credit card transactions are unaffected.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/19494-bank-of-ireland-computer/
    More than 1.2 million Bank of Ireland customers are still experiencing difficulties withdrawing money by ATM, online and in branches.

The bank, which originally said the problem would be resolved at lunchtime, now says it is “hopeful” of getting it sorted out this evening.

A spokeswoman said the problem was caused by a mainframe computer problem which led to customers’ balances being unreadable. The fault has knocked out the bank’s internet and phone banking services.

Customers attempting to withdraw larger amounts of money from ATMs – up to €400 - have been told they have exceeded their daily limit, even in cases where they have not made a withdrawal. There is restricted access to smaller amounts of cash.

The spokeswoman said the problem was caused by an “unforeseen technical issue” which disrupted access to internet and phone banking. This meant that ATMs were working offline and did not have up-to-date information about current balances. As a result, the teller machines severely reduced the amount of cash dispensed to each customer.

“It’s definitely a technical issue, and has nothing to do with money,” she said.

The amount ATMs are currently dispensing varies according to the customer, she said. Only Bank of Ireland customers are affected.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1207/breaking35.html

Anyone any source at all which suggests that this is the beginning of the fall of the banks that is any way reputable?
    Suggest a run on the banks all you want. Use your twitter or facebook or wherever. Just don't do so here as boards is not interested in allying itself in such a manner and furthermore not interested in spreading misinformation.
    This is not a request for further input / discussion. This is a note to say that talk of promoting a run on the banks will not be entertained here.
    PM For details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Instead of a karate kick, Cantona performed a drop db *

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement