Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

OisinT wrote: »
    Nah, thinking about just hitting some BoI ATMs and then going on the dole tbh.

Good. You'd be doing a lot less damage than many of those before you who availed of a 'top Dublin' education and went into Banking, Business, Government etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Oh... there was no smiley. No smiley at all.

Oh... quite right you are. Quite right you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

ascanbe wrote: »
    Good. You'd be doing a lot less damage than many of those before you who availed of a 'top Dublin' education and went into Banking, Business, Government etc.
    OH... I am in banking, business and government. I'm still hitting the BoI ATMs and getting dole payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

OH... I am in banking, business and government. I'm still hitting the BoI ATMs and getting dole payments.

Good man.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Ziycon wrote: »
    If this story is true i'd be more worried that BoI keep all the account details in one place with no redundancy! :eek:

All you can conclude from that is that they have a single external facing balance checking system, that depends on a mainframe, and which is shared between the online, branches and ATMs. and nothing about how or where data is stored.

By no means the only bank that has such problems before.

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/01/08/239884/HSBC-mainframe-outage-causes-major-HSBC-network-crash.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

jd007 wrote: »
    Brilliant! I wonder would she steal money from a shop and still use that as defence? What a tool!

I wonder does she go to the ATMs of other banks and claim its free money because she can't check her balance at those ones either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

marco_polo wrote: »
    All you can conclude from that is that they have a single external facing balance checking system, that depends on a mainframe, and which is shared between the online, branches and ATMs. and nothing about how or where data is stored.

By no means the only bank that has such problems before.

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/01/08/239884/HSBC-mainframe-outage-causes-major-HSBC-network-crash.htm

That's exactly it I bet. One lad I work with worked with this kind of setup they're talking about for years in Buenos Aires, and more or less said how easy it is for it to go pear shaped when fiddled with.
    Most likey human error as these things 'just work if left alone' as he said.

Someone's gonna get a major bollockin, imagine a fuck up you did made the BBC news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hello everyone,

Ive just found out that I can't access my phone banking and the Atms are shagged, any ideas ?

Regards,

Mr. CHOPra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Pacifico wrote: »
    Fair play to they guy with the hot dog stand...at least someone will make some money from these fools
    Well him and Bank of Ireland after the interest on the overdraft starts kicking in. Was this is a sly recapitalisation on the backs of the lesser lights? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

This is shaping up to be a handy little earner for BoI.

To the Conspiracy Theories Forum!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

You're thinking they'll just send you a letter to an address and give up? Seriously?
    This is the kind of mentality which results in crowds of short sighted people queuing at an ATM for free money. You've just given yourself a loan from a bank which you now have to pay back and nothing more.
    No karma there.

there is karma there dude.

you just have to look a little harder for it, but trust me - it's there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

This is shaping up to be a handy little earner for BoI.

To the Conspiracy Theories Forum!!!
    Oh yeah, if it does well enough they could sell tickets and make it an annual festival.

There might be floats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Are the systems back online? have to pay wages today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Aparently the problem was fixed by 10pm last night, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I have been trying to find that out myself ,the ATM's might be empty though judging by the madness last night ,best bet is to ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Oh yeah, if it does well enough they could sell tickets and make it an annual festival.

There might be floats.

They might aswell.

I only regret not going down to the ques to sell hot drinks and snacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

365online is still down, Jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Sir Shankalot

They might aswell.

I only regret not going down to the ques to sell hot drinks and snacks.

haha! now that would have been the entrepreneurial spirit needed to get Ireland out of this mess!

Only heard the ATM run story this morn - of course I do not advocate what was being done and of course people who have a job etc will end up paying for anything they have withdrawn....but....I think a lot of the posters displayed very insular views of the world. Not everyone obeys laws, pays bills, acts honestly etc - if they did we would not need to bill anyone and the Gardai would be pointless. There are 450,000 unemployed people in this country and a significant proportion of those people have never worked and have no intention of ever working.

If people think that these people are being silly and naive in withdrawing money they don't have, and somehow think that the full weight of the law will come down upon them I would argue that it is they who are being naive. A lot of the people on the dole who were rushing to ATM's live on a hand to mouth basis, they are not putting together a cashflow projection for 2011 believe it or not, and certainly do not care in the slightest about how this might affect their future credit rating or ability to get a car loan - why get a loan for a car when you can just steal one!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Stuart mulvaney

[SIZE=+1]IMPORTANT CUSTOMER MESSAGE: MAJOR IT ISSUE [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Bank of Ireland confirms that an unforeseen technical issue has impacted some of our operating systems this morning and our telephone and online banking services are currently unavailable. However, all branches are open and operating as normal but with a temporary restricted cash service. All ATMs are operating normally but with a restricted cash service for Bank of Ireland cardholders. Some customers may be unable to conduct point-of-sale transactions but Bank of Ireland credit card transactions are unaffected. We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience they are experiencing and wish to assure them that we are working with our IT partners to ensure that all services are reinstated as a priority. [/SIZE]

• Advertisement

How long has it been down now? Looks like they are as good at running their IT infrastructure as they are at running a bank. Have they no DR in place? Utter, utter clowns. Ive moved my savings to rabo, looks like ill have to move my current account now as well.

CiaranC wrote: »
    How long has it been down now? Looks like they are as good at running their IT infrastructure as they are at running a bank. Have they no DR in place? Utter, utter clowns. Ive moved my savings to rabo, looks like ill have to move my current account now as well.

BOI don't run their IT ,HP do ,it's HP's problem.They will have to pay penalties if there are any.BOI sold off their technical staff to HP a couple of years back ,they are based in Lexlip now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

BOI don't run their IT ,HP do ,it's HP's problem.They will have to pay penalties if there are any.BOI sold off their technical staff to HP a couple of years back ,they are based in Lexlip now.

What I find interesting is that BOI are switching their IT to another company soon...could there be some pissed off HP people behind this? Or is that too much of a conspiracy theory?

Its not Bank Of Irelands problem? Why should I care who they outsourced their IT to? Can I do my banking on hp.com instead then? :rolleyes:

What I find interesting is that BOI are switching their IT to another company soon...could there be some pissed off HP people behind this? Or is that too much of a conspiracy theory?

BOI used the transfer of undertakings legislation in 2005 or 2006 to transfer their technical staff to HP ,I remember it well ,one of my mates was in the transfer and there was murder going on because HP don't recognise unions so there was a stuff going on for a while until the staff were eventually allowed to keep their union status but had to be kept away from regular HP staff as they were on different pay and conditions

Its not Bank Of Irelands problem? Why should I care who they outsourced their IT to? Can I do my banking on hp.com instead then? :rolleyes:

But it's not the banks fault if HP screw up:rolleyes:

But it's not the banks fault if HP screw up:rolleyes:
    Of course it is, they choose to put their IT in the hands of HP didnt they? Im not a customer of HP or anyone else, Im a customer of BOI - if the services I pay for are unavailable its BOIs fault and noone elses

Of course it is, they choose to put their IT in the hands of HP didnt they? Im not a customer of HP or anyone else, Im a customer of BOI - if the services I pay for are unavailable its BOIs fault and noone elses

As a BOI customer you are correct ,what im getting at is that the bank will blame their IT partners for the problem not themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I thought they outsourced the work from HP?? You reap what you sow.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I thought they outsourced the work from HP?? You reap what you sow.

They did but they transferred their own technical staff over to HP as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement