Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

"we shouldnt have to pay interest".

lol. You went to the machine and withdrew money you knew wasnt yours. thats a loan. and a pricey one, at 14.8%.

This is gonna be so entertaining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Id like to see how they try get the money out of people who are unemployed and living on the breadline ,there will be a free lunch for some I bet

sure there's no hurry, they can pay it back whenever they're ready, just BOI will keep charging the monthly interest fee. They'll be in no hurry to recoup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

K-9 wrote: »
    Oh Good God of almighty.

Don't they get it. You wouldn't have been able to be overdrawn if the system was working properly.

Yes but the majority of people withdrawing money that they didn't have knew exactly what they were doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Id like to see how they try get the money out of people who are unemployed and living on the breadline ,there will be a free lunch for some I bet

They only got the money out yesterday. If they were stupid enough to blow it all last night, they deserve to pay interest on it. Otherwise, give it back, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

K-9 wrote: »
    Oh Good God of almighty.

Don't they get it. You wouldn't have been able to be overdrawn if the system was working properly.

That's idiotic, it's like saying you shouldn't have to pay for goods in a shop if the person manning the till is away having a crap.

It's absolutely retarded to say that it's the fault of the bank if people abused the system while being fully aware of what they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

it's stealing. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Any word on when this is going to be sorted? I want to go Christmas shopping later, don't want to have to use my credit card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 anonwondering

has there been any official statment about when the online banking is coming back up????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes but the majority of people withdrawing money that they didn't have knew exactly what they were doing.

Exactly and even the few allegedly "caught out" should have had an idea of their balance. I know the online and telephone banking was down too, but still.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

An unfair system can arise from this.

Situation 1 (mine actually). I get paid by the company in the UK that I work for. My salary goes in to the account anywhere within a 10 day range (lets say 5th - 15th in this case) due to banking issues (my company processes on the same day each month, it is an issue with the banking system that causes the random lag).

In a poor month (paid for a new kitchen) my account will be low and I will check the cash machine each day to see if my wages have gone in, if not I use the credit card until paid (at a cost to me).

Most of the time my wages are there within 4 days of the 5th, so I would have gone to the cash machine, 'oops, cant get a balance, will it let me withdraw?, yay, I have been paid'.

Next day banking system comes online, turns out I havent been paid and they want to charge me fees, interest and affect my credit rating. My fault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

Any word on when this is going to be sorted? I want to go Christmas shopping later, don't want to have to use my credit card!
    might be cheaper to use your credit card. if the services aren't working fully and you get overdrawn its 14.8% interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

zuroph wrote: »
    sure there's no hurry, they can pay it back whenever they're ready, just BOI will keep charging the monthly interest fee. They'll be in no hurry to recoup.

You, and dozens of people like you on this thread, dont seem to be able to grasp the fact that a lot of people simply wont pay it back.

They have nothing in their accounts. They dont use their accounts. They dont need their accounts. They dont care about their credit rating. They dont care about car loans, they dont have one. They dont care about mortgages, they dont have one. They buy cars in cash, and live in council housing. They have no access to credit anyway so this is of no loss to them.

14.8% of zero is zero. Theres the banks interest there - ZERO.

Worst case for these lads, the banks will chase them through the courts at huge expense to themselves and a judge will force them to pay 10 euro a month off the debt. If they ignore this, they'll do a night or two in the joy and the debt will be written off.

Not everyone lives in middle-Ireland quietly playing along with the rules while getting shafted at every turn. These people dont give a ****. And to be honest, its hard to blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

ciagr297 wrote: »
    might be cheaper to use your credit card. if the services aren't working fully and you get overdrawn its 14.8% interest

I know how much I can spend without going overdrawn though. Hmmm might just go up to the bank at lunch and withdraw cash from the cashier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

If it is an unauthorised overdraft you will also be charged Surcharge Interest which is 7.2% per annum (0.6% per month, min 2.54eur)

So, 22% - cheaper to go to a money lender (nearly)!!

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/overdraft_terms_conditions.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

How are they going to recoup the money from people who reported their cards stolen, who got someone they know to get the money out with their card and who had their faces covered?

CiaranC wrote: »
    You, and dozens of people like you on this thread, dont seem to be able to grasp the fact that a lot of people simply wont pay it back.

They have nothing in their accounts. They dont use their accounts. They dont need their accounts. They dont care about their credit rating. They dont care about car loans, they dont have one. They dont care about mortgages, they dont have one. They buy cars in cash, and live in council housing. They have no access to credit anyway so this is of no loss to them.

first off - wasn't there a limit on what you could withdraw at the ATM anyway? there is a daily cap when it is working correctly afaik

secondly - they don't use their accounts? well then its stealing - they knowingly took money from the account they never use with no money in it

CiaranC doesn't seem to understand the basics of the situation here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

secondly - they don't use their accounts? well then its stealing - they knowingly took money from the account they never use with no money in it
    Yes. And?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Worst case for these lads, the banks will chase them through the courts at huge expense to themselves and a judge will force them to pay 10 euro a month off the debt. If they ignore this, they'll do a night or two in the joy and the debt will be written off.

Not everyone lives in middle-Ireland quietly playing along with the rules while getting shafted at every turn. These people dont give a ****. And to be honest, its hard to blame them.
    You obviously been fortunate enough not to have had to deal with debt collectors. Two burly lads "bumping into you" when you collect your Dole will would soon have you clearing your dues if you were the person described in your post.

Yes. And?
    whats your definition of stealing/taking something that isn't yours then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ThisRegard wrote: »

CiaranC is dead right, it's you that doesn't understand the basics. The people who were helping themselves to cash are about as worried as you would be if I told you i wasn't going to supply you with any more caviare till you paid for the stuff I delivered to your house by accident.
    This is the same as the many threads in AH saying "I ran up medical/hire car/rent bills abroad, and now I'm home, can they do anything?"

the answer is always the same. Morally it's wrong, but in reality they can't touch you. This is exactly the same.

They know it's wrong
    they know the consequences
    the consequences to them are inconsequential. Get it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

KerranJast wrote: »
    You obviously been fortunate enough not to have had to deal with debt collectors. Two burly lads "bumping into you" when you collect your Dole will would soon have you clearing your dues if you were the person described in your post.
    a debt collector mite or mite not call to ur door... but i highly doubt it bank of ireland will get some 1 to scar or frighten u??? just keep denoying it besides over 60 thousand people got money this way how long to you think its gonna be b4 they get around to everybody?????? we bailed them out...so if ya think bout it we are aonly getting our money back. i defo did not agree to bail them out with my hard earned cash but it was taken off me anyway....so i just got it back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

ThisRegard wrote: »

CiaranC has hit the nail on the head.....

I have experience of 2 seperate occurances of this in 2 seperate banks......

Sometimes, if you know what you are up to, and are brazen enough - there is such a thing as a free lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

whats your definition of stealing/taking something that isn't yours then?

You talking about yesterday's budget?:)

a debt collector mite or mite not call to ur door... but i highly doubt it bank of ireland will get some 1 to scar or frighten u??? just keep denoying it besides over 60 thousand people got money this way how long to you think its gonna be b4 they get around to everybody?????? we bailed them out...so if ya think bout it we are aonly getting our money back. i defo did not agree to bail them out with my hard earned cash but it was taken off me anyway....so i just got it back ;)
    unfortunately even if the machines weren't working against current balances there is still an audit record

won't be "yours" for long

suitseir wrote: »
    You talking about yesterday's budget?:)
    :D i believe there is another thread dealing with the budget, but i do feel robbed nonetheless

anyway, back on topic;)

tbh wrote: »
    CiaranC is dead right, it's you that doesn't understand the basics. The people who were helping themselves to cash are about as worried as you would be if I told you i wasn't going to supply you with any more caviare till you paid for the stuff I delivered to your house by accident.
    This is the same as the many threads in AH saying "I ran up medical/hire car/rent bills abroad, and now I'm home, can they do anything?"

the answer is always the same. Morally it's wrong, but in reality they can't touch you. This is exactly the same.

They know it's wrong

Doesn't matter if the consequences are inconsequential to them, the consequences still exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

tbh wrote: »

They know it's wrong

While I agree with what you say, I think that would be a small percentage of the people who took money. You can be sure that most people that did, use their accounts and will be in for a nasty surprise when the money is taken back as soon as any money hits the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

1) ENGLISH! DO YOU SPEAK IT?!
    2) There's no such thing as the Banks money. It's my and other depositors money. By stealing from the bank you're stealing from me and I fully expect the Bank as custodian of my money to fully persue the likes of you so that I don't have to pay any increased charges for the service or take a hit on my deposit interest (meagre enough as it is now).

Bank of Ireland is a large corporation with a big legal department and lots of avenues open to them to persue debtors. They are in effect The Man and like any good conspiracy nut or hippie will tell you, The Man always wins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

KerranJast wrote: »
    1) ENGLISH! DO YOU SPEAK IT?!
    2) There's no such thing as the Banks money. It's my and other depositors money.

No, it's not.

If the bank lose "your" money, you still have your deposits with no loss.
    If the banks make profit by loaning out "your" money, you don't get a share of the profits.

If you're going to be patronising, make damn sure you're right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement