Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

But was it not against the law last year? Get on to the regulator!

Hold your horses there with your sincere but misguided advice.

It contravenes the Consumer Credit Act to automatically increase your Credit Limit without the applicants request.

They have not outlawed the selling of Credit by qualified financial entities yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

a debt collector mite or mite not call to ur door... but i highly doubt it bank of ireland will get some 1 to scar or frighten u??? just keep denoying it besides over 60 thousand people got money this way how long to you think its gonna be b4 they get around to everybody?????? we bailed them out...so if ya think bout it we are aonly getting our money back. i defo did not agree to bail them out with my hard earned cash but it was taken off me anyway....so i just got it back ;)
    As I said, the debts they can't recover themselves by traditional means will be sold on to professional debt collection agencies for cents in the euro. The professionals will not play by the same rules that BOI play by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    If enough people loose their confidence we get a bank run,already dozens of billions left these banks. a bank being borked for a day doesn't inspire

It doesn't.

Then some people make fortunes from things like bank runs, currency speculation etc. and prey on scare mongering. It isn't fair on some poor granny who has a few Euro saved up getting all panicked over what probably is a glitch in the system.

But then, if we've learned nothing else from this mess, plenty of people would sell their granny to make a few Euro, bubble or recession, that doesn't change. Oh and I include the banks in that and mis selling policies to grannies!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

noworries wrote: »
    Hold your horses there with your sincere but misguided advice.

It contravenes the Consumer Credit Act to automatically increase your Credit Limit without the applicants request.

They have not outlawed the selling of Credit by qualified financial entities yet.

Oh I thought that's what the other poster meant, that the bank was automatically increasing her credit limit?

ciagr297 wrote: »
    AIB are doing the same thing to me - offers to increase my overdraft, increase my credit card limit. i had a row with them over automatically increasing my limits, which i won:D

Poster also makes allegation about winning argument with AIB with reference to automatic limits.

The only automatic limits applied in AIB are for Overdraft Renewals of satisfactory operated accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah I can't be arsed reading this whole thread.

So 2 questions:

1. Did the banks collapse yesterday and bring about the end of the world?
    2. Was it really free money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

tbh wrote: »
    CiaranC is dead right, it's you that doesn't understand the basics. The people who were helping themselves to cash are about as worried as you would be if I told you i wasn't going to supply you with any more caviare till you paid for the stuff I delivered to your house by accident.
    This is the same as the many threads in AH saying "I ran up medical/hire car/rent bills abroad, and now I'm home, can they do anything?"

the answer is always the same. Morally it's wrong, but in reality they can't touch you. This is exactly the same.

They know it's wrong
    they know the consequences
    the consequences to them are inconsequential. Get it now?

no, they aren't.

if the bank can't recoup the money themselves, they'll sell the debt to a debt collection agency, who will get it one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

Poster also makes allegation about winning argument with AIB with reference to automatic limits.

The only automatic limits applied in AIB are for Overdraft Renewals of satisfactory operated accounts.
    first hand story is allegation now?

i shouldn't have mentioned AIB, this thread was related to BOI. i'll bring it up with the regulator if i feel the need to have it investigated

back on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

K-9 wrote: »
    It doesn't.

Then some people make fortunes from things like bank runs, currency speculation etc. and prey on scare mongering. It isn't fair on some poor granny who has a few Euro saved up getting all panicked over what probably is a glitch in the system.

But then, if we've learned nothing else from this mess, plenty of people would sell their granny to make a few Euro, bubble or recession, that doesn't change. Oh and I include the banks in that and mis selling policies to grannies!

Ah I see its not the fault of the Irish banks and the regulator/govt they ****ed up so badly

no its dem outsiders who made these banks lend so badly and carelessly destroying their balance sheets, whose paranoid now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    1. Did the banks collapse yesterday and bring about the end of the world?
    2. Was it really free money?

1. No, as you can tell cos we're all still here

2. "temporarily free of charge" I believe is the correct term

• Advertisement

1. No, as you can tell cos we're all still here

2. "temporarily free of charge" I believe is the correct term
    It was free the same way any other loan is free: it's not. Probably some people will not pay it back because they are scangers who just don't care about ever getting credit again or going to court or whatever (or non-Irish nationals who are on the way out of the country forever), but those people will be in a minority of those who withdrew money yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

It was free the same way any other loan is free: it's not. Probably some people will not pay it back because they are scangers who just don't care about ever getting credit again or going to court or whatever (or non-Irish nationals who are on the way out of the country forever), but those people will be in a minority of those who withdrew money yesterday.

Exactly. Most people that withdrew from BOI yesterday will have money coming into their accounts again and as soon as they do BOI will take whatever they are owed.

Ah I see its not the fault of the Irish banks and the regulator/govt they ****ed up so badly

no its dem outsiders who made these banks lend so badly and carelessly destroying their balance sheets, whose paranoid now?

Where did I say that? Kindly quote me or stop this strawman.

One doesn't justify the other. Greed is greed, and one particular type of greed isn't good, no matter what Gordon Gecko says.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

no, they aren't.

if the bank can't recoup the money themselves, they'll sell the debt to a debt collection agency, who will get it one way or another.

Out of interest, why arent they doing this now with their outstanding debts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

K-9 wrote: »
    Where did I say that? Kindly quote me or stop this strawman.

One doesn't justify the other. Greed is greed, and one particular type of greed isn't good, no matter what Gordon Gecko says.

Ensuring you life savings are in a solid and reputable bank
    is not greed, its common sense

Its not the external speculators that brought down our banks but the speculators within these banks in management positions.

CiaranC wrote: »
    No doubt they are. There will be a series of steps, and that is the last one. We are talking about personal loans here, not mortgage debt.

Ensuring you life savings are in a solid and reputable bank
    is not greed, its common sense

Its not the external speculators that brought down our banks but the speculators within these banks in management positions.

Never said otherwise. It's up to the individual where they choose to put their savings.

As for external speculators, yeah, senior external bondholders really paid for their speculation. They did play a part in lending far too much to property bubble banks but it seems, they are immune from taking a hit! Though that was our inept Governments decision.

No doubt they are. There will be a series of steps, and that is the last one. We are talking about personal loans here, not mortgage debt.

Im pretty sure they arent, from my own indirect experience. Would be interested in any evidence otherwise.

Also, these people arent afraid of debt collection agencies either, its just someone else to ignore.

Im pretty sure they arent, from my own indirect experience. Would be interested in any evidence otherwise.

Also, these people arent afraid of debt collection agencies either, its just someone else to ignore.
    Agree 100% re. the people you are referring to.

ciagr297 wrote: »
    first hand story is allegation now?

i shouldn't have mentioned AIB, this thread was related to BOI. i'll bring it up with the regulator if i feel the need to have it investigated

back on topic

You are making an allegation, on a open forum, that you had an argument with AIB about automatically increasing your limits. This contravenes the
    Consumer Credit Act 1995 (amended). I am merely pointing out that this is an allegation as it is not supported by evidence.

It is quite easy to type a post on this or any other forum, but to allege, without evidence, unlawful wrong doing, as per the act, is quite another matter. If you have documentary evidence of this, then I would strongly urge to you to contact the Financial Regulator.

My evidence for my assertion; Specific section of the act
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1995/en/act/pub/0024/sec0035.html#zza24y1995s35

Definition of allegation
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/allegation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Have you ever had experience with a debt collection agency? Certainly not as easy to ignore as the bank is, and your only fooling yourself if you think they are.

In fact, you are only fooling yourself if you think banks offer free money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

strange. i had issues with an aib atm last night. everything worked fine til the very last instruction i gave the machine then it just spat out my card

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

You are making an allegation, on a open forum, that you had an argument with AIB about automatically increasing your limits. This contravenes the
    Consumer Credit Act 1995 (amended). I am merely pointing out that this is an allegation as it is not supported by evidence.

It is quite easy to type a post on this or any other forum, but to allege, without evidence, unlawful wrong doing, as per the act, is quite another matter. If you have documentary evidence of this, then I would strongly urge to you to contact the Financial Regulator.

My evidence for my assertion; Specific section of the act
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1995/en/act/pub/0024/sec0035.html#zza24y1995s35

Definition of allegation
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/allegation
    thanks for the information and i have removed my original post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The first person to use the "Wheres my NAMA?" defense WHEN the banks come to collect deserves a face full of head!

365online seems to be back up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭fuzztone

365online seems to be back up

still down here :(

Nevermind, I refreshed the page :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

How long has it been down now? Looks like they are as good at running their IT infrastructure as they are at running a bank. Have they no DR in place? Utter, utter clowns. Ive moved my savings to rabo, looks like ill have to move my current account now as well.

Same as. Moved vast majority of savings a few months back and with the current fiasco I simply don't trust this bank's competency anymore. As someone with adequate funds in my account I was unable to pay bills or use laser yesterday yet wasters with 10 cent in their account could withdraw a 500 quid?
    Current and business account move to UB imminent. Good riddance to BoI.

I'd further this with the millions and tens of millions owed to them by developers which is the source of 90% of banking woes.
    I have no doubt BoI will chase the fools that withdrew money they never had yesterday for every cent...it's easier to get €500 off some nobody than it is to get 5 million off a somebody...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

You, and dozens of people like you on this thread, dont seem to be able to grasp the fact that a lot of people simply wont pay it back.

They have nothing in their accounts. They dont use their accounts. They dont need their accounts. They dont care about their credit rating. They dont care about car loans, they dont have one. They dont care about mortgages, they dont have one. They buy cars in cash, and live in council housing. They have no access to credit anyway so this is of no loss to them.

14.8% of zero is zero. Theres the banks interest there - ZERO.

Worst case for these lads, the banks will chase them through the courts at huge expense to themselves and a judge will force them to pay 10 euro a month off the debt. If they ignore this, they'll do a night or two in the joy and the debt will be written off.

Not everyone lives in middle-Ireland quietly playing along with the rules while getting shafted at every turn. These people dont give a ****. And to be honest, its hard to blame them.

Best post of the day, i took out money last night and they can go sing for it if they think they will get it back, i don't care about my credit rating never have. By the way not everyone who took money lives on a council estate, i dont and i know a few people who took out money last night dont either so stop with the generalisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

JONJO - Do u not feel guilty stealing?? Id feel soo guilty - I couldnt do it!

• Advertisement

Best post of the day, i took out money last night and they can go sing for it if they think they will get it back, i don't care about my credit rating never have. By the way not everyone who took money lives on a council estate, i dont and i know a few people who took out money last night dont either so stop with the generalisations.

That is a good user name though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement