Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    JONJO - Do u not feel guilty stealing?? Id feel soo guilty - I couldnt do it!

But it's a victimless crime...
    Come on, the banks have loads of money....no-one is going to miss a few million here and there...oh wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

JONJO - Do u not feel guilty stealing?? Id feel soo guilty - I couldnt do it!

Why the hell should i feel guilty, the banks have screwed this country.
    And lets not forget it was the banks who in the 1980's persuaded lots of innocent people to put there money into offshore accounts, when these very same people did not understand what that meant and were subjected to massive fines years later.
    There have screwed this country for generations, do i fell guilty? do i hell as like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

ya but you are still taking something that is not yours! just because someone else does something wrong does not justify you doing it too.

And lets not forget it was the banks who in the 1980's persuaded lots of innocent people to put there money into offshore accounts, when these very same people did not understand what that meant and were subjected to massive fines years later.

LOL
    You think people getting offshores in the 80's didn't know exactly what they were doing? The banks may have faciliitated it, but for the love of f*ck don't try and tell me that even one of those tax dodgers didn't know excatly what they were being facillitated in doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Best post of the day, i took out money last night and they can go sing for it if they think they will get it back, i don't care about my credit rating never have. By the way not everyone who took money lives on a council estate, i dont and i know a few people who took out money last night dont either so stop with the generalisations.
    Didnt mean to generalise, I was just pointing out the that there are people with different outlook and experiences to the toe-the-line brigade on here. They are still coming on convincing themselves that there is some giant shadowy debt-collection mechanism in the background that means nobody gets away with anything. You and I know that this could not be further from the truth, but they just have to convince themselves that its not happening. Its bad enough watching the likes of Fitzpatrick robbing the place blind and giving two fingers to the system, without having to bear the non-rich doing it as well.

The reality of the situation is that plenty of people get away with all sorts of things in this country, at ALL levels of society. Our society is essentially run on the honour system. But now its come to the point that the country is so corrupt, ordinary decent folk feel more and more foolish for not being on the take themselves.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    LOL
    You think people getting offshores in the 80's didn't know exactly what they were doing? The banks may have faciliitated it, but for the love of f*ck don't try and tell me that even one of those tax dodgers didn't know excatly what they were being facillitated in doing.

Im sorry but there were some very old people that didn't know what this was about.
    Lets have another example, last year Prime Time investigated sharp practices by banks, selling old people 10 year investments when a few of them were 85 and over, they were pressured into getting them and did not understand them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ya but you are still taking something that is not yours! just because someone else does something wrong does not justify you doing it too.

Why do you think Bertie did so well?

Sure JohnJo can say he won it on the horses.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

There have screwed this country for generations, do i fell guilty? do i hell as like.

I like you ideas and wish to suscribe to your newsletter
    Where else can I apply your 2 wrongs = 1 right philosiphy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The only real difference between you and them is the scale of wrongdoing, so I wouldn't pontificate too much from your position.

Underneath it is the exact same same f*ck everybody else but me attitude.

red menace wrote: »
    I like you ideas and wish to suscribe to your newsletter
    Where else can I apply your 2 wrongs = 1 right philosiphy?
    Double murders of FFers

• Advertisement

Im sorry but there were some very old people that didn't know what this was about.
    Lets have another example, last year Prime Time investigated sharp practices by banks, selling old people 10 year investments when a few of them were 85 and over, they were pressured into getting them and did not understand them.

I have no doubt that sharp practice and misselling went on (and goes on) in the Irish banking sector...as regards the 1980's ansbacher accounts, Cooper Flynn and 60% tax...people knew what was being done and simply didn't realise the consequences or thought that they could never be found out.
    If some innocent people were caught up in that then that's terrible...but you have to wonder why people being "mis" sold such investments didn't question why the return was so much better than resident accounts.
    Perhaps because they trust banks too much. That itself is at least a thing of the past (trusting what a bank tells you)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The Spar over charged me once so can I go in and shoot the place up and rob the till?

Well done you got your money back, probably raised taxes for other people as the banks will have to get the back so what about people like me who are with a different bank didn't get 500 quid "free" and are going to have to pay it back in tax. Is that not the same as what the bank did to you, that you are basically doing to everyone else now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/boi-to-refund-overdraft-fees-accrued-during-yesterdays-atm-crash-484942.html
    They reiterated their position that customers will be liable for any money wrongly withdrawn.

I see it as the equivalent of me buying something for €1000 on my credit card and just saying ah to hell with this, I'm not paying.

Sooner or later you'll pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

CiaranC wrote: »
    Out of interest, why arent they doing this now with their outstanding debts?

they are, and have been for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Best post of the day, i took out money last night and they can go sing for it if they think they will get it back, i don't care about my credit rating never have. By the way not everyone who took money lives on a council estate, i dont and i know a few people who took out money last night dont either so stop with the generalisations.

well after some time of you ignoring them, they'll sell it to a debt collection agency, who'll turn up and get the money one way or another from you.

dick them around and they won't be too nice when they turn up at your door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    The Spar over charged me once so can I go in and shoot the place up and rob the till?

Yes. But there's no need to shoot the place up provided the staff surrender immediately and follow your instructions. There's no need to be a prlck about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/boi-to-refund-overdraft-fees-accrued-during-yesterdays-atm-crash-484942.html

I see it as the equivalent of me buying something for €1000 on my credit card and just saying ah to hell with this, I'm not paying.

Sooner or later you'll pay.

Clever preemptive PR move from BOI, those who deliberately withdrew excess cash are getting off lightly, but fair for those who went a little over their limit accidently.

And what are they going to do exactly, they can call all they want, they will get the answer of a legally held shotgun if they keep calling, plus of course i might buy a cctv camera in lidl and if they do anything untowards they will be in trouble not me.

well after some time of you ignoring them, they'll sell it to a debt collection agency, who'll turn up and get the money one way or another from you.

I don't think banks use external debt collection agencies. Maybe the likes of MBNA etc do, but Bank of Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

They hidin in yo atm's,
    They're snatchin yo money up,
    Tryin to steal them,
    So you better hide your twenties, hide your fifties,
    Hide your twenties, hide your fifties,
    Hide your twenties, hide your fifties,
    And hide your hundreds cause they stealin errbody out here.

• Advertisement

And what are they going to do exactly, they can call all they want, they will get the answer of a legally held shotgun if they keep calling, plus of course i might buy a cctv camera in lidl and if they do anything untowards they will be in trouble not me.

Don't worry, even if they do sell the debt to a debt collection agency (which I doubt they will), they don't arrive at peoples doors looking to repossess goods. They would phone you, and eventually issue court proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Overdrafts are also subject to interest. The longer you leave it, the more you will pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Sorry, you've got that completely arse-backwards. The people putting their money offshore (usually Fianna Failure insiders) knew that they were doing so to avoid paying tax.

Also BOI is now owned by the Irish people. That's who you stole from.

Don't worry, even if they do sell the debt to a debt collection agency (which I doubt they will), they don't arrive at peoples doors looking to repossess goods. They would phone you, and eventually issue court proceedings.
    Shur dont be telling the plebs that, Bank Of Ireland really send The Viper around looking for their two hundred quid

I hope to christ you actually don't have a shotgun if you'd point it at people trying to get the money you stole from our bank back :eek:

I hope to christ you actually don't have a shotgun if you'd point it at people trying to get the money you stole from our bank back :eek:
    Can you stop calling it "our bank", its very upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Alright enough with the condescending police around here, we get it. We take money out, we have to pay it back. People who think otherwise are morons but not everybody (like me) who took money out are thinking that way.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Can you stop calling it "our bank", its very upsetting.
    I'm sorry, but we do own it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Which they stole from us - JONO is a legend - Wish i knew about this but i was at work all day and probably would not have done it anyway

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Which they stole from us - JONO is a legend - Wish i knew about this but i was at work all day and probably would not have done it anyway
    Yeah, the banks stole it from all taxpayers. Will all the taxpayers be getting 'free money' from the bank? No, just some of those who stole it yesterday. Who will have to make up any shortfall because of the money that isn't recovered? The taxpayers again. So now they've been robbed by the bank (which we now own) as well as by their fellow 'citizens'.

The level of understanding here is woeful at times. I'd guess there are people on this thread who think that the government just creates dole money out of nowhere too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement