Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Oh right sorry about that. However I don't agree with that attitude of fair play to the thieves at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Was in my local BoI today to cash a cheque...heard a Polish guy across from me saying to the cashier he wanted to withdraw €1500, as far as I can make out (she is behind the glass barier and I'm not that close) the lady said back to him you only have €150 in the account...STUNG! haha :D

He proceeds to say he should have a months pay go into his account yesterday. Should we believe him? I doubt she did. Sure if he was genuine, he can come back in a couple of days and all should be well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

koHd wrote: »
    Was in my local BoI today to cash a cheque...heard a Polish guy across from me saying to the cashier he wanted to withdraw €1500, as far as I can make out (she is behind the glass barier and I'm not that close) the lady said back to him you only have €150 in the account...STUNG! haha :D

He proceeds to say he should have a months pay go into his account yesterday. Should we believe him? I doubt she did. Sure if he was genuine, he can come back in a couple of days and all should be well.

Bit nosey no? not only did you listen to the whole conversation but you checked his passport too!

Resi wrote: »
    Oh right sorry about that. However I don't agree with that attitude of fair play to the thieves at all..

Victimless crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Bit nosey no? not only did you listen to the whole conversation but you checked his passport too!

Well I like to have a listen to people around me. Probably came from where I grew up - always know your surroundings and those in it.

And the nationality is not that hard. There is a thing called an accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

If i cant afford something i save up until i can.

Why didn't u do that this time instead of stealing the cash so ya can afford stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Victimless crime

There is no such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Victimless crime

Except it isn't because they known what they are doing is wrong and that the money they are taking back (for the ones not planning to pay it back that is) is stealing and not any bit theirs to take.

On another note, I am stunned. Really and truly that this is still going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭weiland79

My partner works for BOI, unfortunately for her she works in customer care.
    The past two evenings she has come home from work roaring crying because of the abusive phone calls she has had to deal with during this debacle. It is neither neccasary or nice to call someone on the phone or ever for that matter, a Fvcking cvnt.

If by any chance you are the type of person that makes phone calls to people like this, please stop because a. I don't like to see me girlfriend upset and b. It is not actually her fault and she is actually trying to help you.

Thank you.

weiland79 wrote: »
    My partner works for BOI, unfortunately for her she works in customer care.
    The past two evenings she has come home from work roaring crying because of the abusive phone calls she has had to deal with during this debacle. It is neither neccasary or nice to call someone on the phone or ever for that matter, a Fvcking cvnt.

If by any chance you are the type of person that makes phone calls to people like this, please stop because a. I don't like to see me girlfriend upset and b. It is not actually her fault and she is actually trying to help you.

Thank you.

No real excuss for that behaviour, though it is part of the job IMO.

• Advertisement

Best post of the day, i took out money last night and they can go sing for it if they think they will get it back, i don't care about my credit rating never have. By the way not everyone who took money lives on a council estate, i dont and i know a few people who took out money last night dont either so stop with the generalisations.

Wow, just wow. It's people like you Jonjo who define what is wrong with this country. This self-righteous sense of entitlement that you feel to take what you want, when you want and contribute absolutely nothing in return. I know damn well that had the government taken 500 euro from your dole that you would be the first person to cry outrage.

What occurred with the banks yesterday was an anomaly, a once off. It allowed a small group of greedy people to exploit a situation which exists for emergencies, after the abuse of the system yesterday I have no doubt that the Bank will seriously consider changing the policy and next time it happens even in a genuine crisis, the entire system may be shut entirely down rather than run the risk of a small group of scum stealing.

Jonjo you broke the law, you took money which doesn't belong to you and you seem to think that not only is acceptable and commendable but that you're striking a blow for the common man when in fact the only thing you've down is highlight the fact that you are nothing more than a thief. I really hope that you suffer because of what you did, honestly if you were a friend fo mine and boasted about what you did I would tell you to cop the hell on and from then on have nothing to do with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

RonMexico wrote: »
    This thread is a veritable monument to the corrupt thinking that pervades Irish society.

Far too many people in this country do not understand the difference between right and wrong.

Which is why we have people doing the following:

Shoplifting: Ah sure it is just one bar of chocolate, the shopkeeper can afford it.

Stealing at work: The boss won't miss €50

Not paying fares: I pay enough taxes

and so on...

Then these people complain about our leaders and other people in positions of authority who are corrupt and wonder why these people thought it was ok to misappropriate millions of euro and manipulate expenses for their own game.

One group is no better than the other, they are a blight on society.

Ah but you see if you pop into a confessional box and fess up you will be grand. It is all about the afterlife and all that.

You are bang on btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

All well and good now saying you don't care about your credit rating and you don't need your bank account. But wait till later in life if you end up married and with kids and you have to explain to them that you can't afford this or that as you have to save up for it with cash due to the fact you are blacklisted for loans. And what if those who are on the dole end up with a job in the future? A bank account will be required for you to be paid into. And you won't be able to just go and open an account with another bank as you can best believe that same black mark will be known by other banks. And if you say that you are emigrating. You will need to provide bank account details for most migration authorities around the world.

Just an example of ways this will come back to bite people who don't plan on repaying money they took out that wasn't theirs in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Stealing is stealing whether you reach in over the Bank counter or take it out of a faulty ATM. Stop trying to justify it. The ordinary bank workers who are trying to deal with this crises have my sympathy. They are already under pressure for their jobs - as well as dealing with getting into work in the crap weather conditions. Now they have to deal with abuse on the phone and chasing up the thieves who exploited this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Bank staff asleep at the wheel again - hopefully they will all be fired for shagging up the country for generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ebbsy wrote: »
    Bank staff asleep at the wheel again - hopefully they will all be fired for shagging up the country for generations.

HP manage the IT infrastructure for BOI........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I don't see how people can justify this type of behaviour - looking at the pictures of the vultures queuing up outside ATMs left me sick to my stomach.

I can't see how this is any different to walking into a bank and reaching across the desk and just taking money out of the till. I know the banks have a lot to answer for and that seems to be the justification for this behaviour. But really, isn't the "an eye for an eye" attitude sort of juvenile?

No it's not "part of the job"..... :rolleyes:

The solution to assholes like that is to close their account. I've seen it done and I hope it was in the post you replied to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

stepbar wrote: »

The solution to assholes like that is to close their account. I've seen it done and I hope it was in the post you replied to.

I agree. They have to deal with customers but no one should have to recieve abuse for a situation beyond their control when all they are trying to do is resolve it. It happens far too often in retail, support numbers etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What... you say it's not right, but then pardon it?

No one in Customer Service signs up to take shíte and shouldn't just because they are on the other end of the phone...

Yeah... just the infrastructure. A lot of the stuff is still managed in house by BOI.

• Advertisement

Whats with the role eyes? i've worked in retail and got abuse daily, people shouldnt be horrible but this isn't the land of puppies and ginger bread men......Its reality and in reality some people are horrible. Its reality and it is expected to happen all the time so it is part of the job.
    What... you say it's not right, but then pardon it?

No one in Customer Service signs up to take shíte and shouldn't just because they are on the other end of the phone...

And when people do get jobs in CS, I'm sure they're told they'll get some abuse. Just like fire men don't sign up to die but occasianally it does happen.

I'm not pardoning it, I'm just saying it happens and she shouldn't let it get to her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

And when people do get jobs in CS, I'm sure they're told they'll get some abuse. Just like fire men don't sign up to die but occasianally it does happen.

I'm not pardoning it, I'm just saying it happens and she shouldn't let it get to her.

I manage a complaints department in CS.

If any agents come to me with that kind of problem, I cut the call with the user.

They're told it may come up, but they aren't there to take it.

Whats with the role eyes? i've worked in retail and got abuse daily, people shouldnt be horrible but this isn't the land of puppies and ginger bread men......Its reality and in reality some people are horrible. Its reality and it is expected to happen all the time so it is part of the job.

When you accept abuse, it's part of your job. It's not part of my job because I don't accept it. Simple as. Anyone who accepts that abuse is part of the job is a fool. What is someone going to do when you refuse to deal with them? Abuse the wall? :rolleyes:

Most people I know, with any sort of a back bone, will walk away and refuse to deal with a customer until an apology is offered. And if they continue to be abusive they will be asked to leave, Guards maybe called and account maybe closed. It's quite simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Victimless crime
    I'm seriously starting to wonder about your mental capacity. How is taking money from the Irish public a victimless crime? The victim is the Irish people, you clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Victimless crime

Like punching someone in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Like punching someone in the dark.
    Yeah, if you can't tell who did it, it's victimless....right? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭cson

When you accept abuse, it's part of your job. It's not part of my job because I don't accept it. Simple as. Anyone who accepts that abuse is part of the job is a fool. What is someone going to do when you refuse to deal with them? Abuse the wall? :rolleyes:

Most people I know, with any sort of a back bone, will walk away and refuse to deal with a customer until an apology is offered. And if they continue to be abusive they will be asked to leave, Guards maybe called and account maybe closed. It's quite simple.

+1

You achieve nothing through being abusive save for making yourself look like an asshole.

Nope, they very recently lost the contract and it has been moved to IBM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Fair play indeed - They are creating anarchy and standing up to the the banks and goverment
    No. They're just defrauding and stealing.
    They have nothing to lose (which itself is a scary reflection of the times)
    I don't know about you but i'd think having a criminal record would count as "something"
    and who cares really - I don't always pay the right fair on the bus and i jump on the luas and not pay most of the time
    Great, so can your boss/social welfare not pay you the right amount each week? What if they skip payments "most of the time". I don't know where you learned right from wrong but you seemed to have missed a few lessons.
    - as the previous poster said "we're all on the take some how" so theres no point kicking up a fuss about this blue collared crime - and as for the tax payer picking it up the tab - well the tabs so big at this stage a few extra peanuts isn't going to affect anything!
    Not all of us enjoy indulging in petty crime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Nope, they very recently lost the contract and it has been moved to IBM.

IBM have yet to takeover the operation, and will not do so until next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement